Licence shennanigans but might have wider relevance

What ho chaps,

Need to go through the DVLA circle of hell imminently and not being the sharpest clerically adept tool in the box and a poor understander of Welsh dialects, i’m wondering how best to get the ball rolling at Swansea?

My CE expired in 2020.Car expires in 2035 but as theyre now combined on one piece of plastic i suspect i need to renew both but with a new photo included ?.Also a new driver tacho-card with updated photo needed (expired 2021) Something tells me it’s going to cost deep in the ■■■■■ but l might be eligible for Seetec finance since slowly recovering from health issues that made me leave my last job circa 2020.Well on the mend as it happens through a brutal fasting regime (thereby hangs many a tale :open_mouth: ), i began 16 months ago and feeling the call of the wild once more :angry:

Seetec are where you go after certain time frames of unemployment and they assist with certain things,replaced laptops,optical wear etc but they’re quibbling over ponying up the 130 quid medical examination needed for all the above to proceed.I even offered to repay it if/when back in the saddle but still no signs of compromise with them.

Seems bizarre ?.. but can anyone confirm if there’s still the 12 month limited contract option still in place where you can sidestep the post 45 yoa medical requirements as long as the wretched CPC is still valid ? l kind of like the idea of 12 month contracts anyhow for some reason.

To make matters interesting my landlord’s selling up and l need to vacate mid November so would l be best served by declaring no fixed abode given l have nothing in place for future digs at this point but obviously need to answer by mail at some point i presume with DVLA ? Bit of a pickle to say the least ?

Buy a van. You can live in it.

You can also usi it to deliver parcels during the day. No CIP or CE needed.

Learning to speak Romanian is optional.

What 12 month limited contract option? I think you’ve made that up. The only thing there was and it only worked for a limited time was if your photo licence was due for renewal before your 45th birthday you could renew your licence and it’d extend the date you needed a medical. However as yours has expired that’s not an option for you. Simply put no current medical, no valid HGV licence, no drivey HGVs.

You can get medicals done for a whole lot less than £130. There’s one place in my area doing them for £60

To make matters interesting my landlord’s selling up and l need to vacate mid November

No you don’t. They’d like you to but ultimately they can’t force it. If you’ve got nowhere to go then stay put. Even if they’ve issued you with a Section 8 or Section 21 notice when that expires you don’t have to leave. They’ll then have to go to court for a repossession order which can take several months depending on how busy the county court is. When that date comes you still don’t have to leave. They then have to go back to court for a warrant of execution. again this can take months depending on the workload of the court, and only on that date do you have to leave because bailiffs can remove you.

That’s assuming that they have an enforceable notice in the first place. With a Section 21 no fault notice if they didn’t give you an Energy Performance Certificate AND a current gas safety certificate AND the current copy of the Government “How To Rent” booklet then they can’t issue a Section 21. The one that most landlords tend to forget to give tenants is the government how to rent booklet. If they’ve not given you those three things they’d have to give you them then give you a fresh Section 21 giving a fresh 2 month period.

Conor:
What 12 month limited contract option? I think you’ve made that up. The only thing there was and it only worked for a limited time was if your photo licence was due for renewal before your 45th birthday you could renew your licence and it’d extend the date you needed a medical. However as yours has expired that’s not an option for you. Simply put no current medical, no valid HGV licence, no drivey HGVs.

You can get medicals done for a whole lot less than £130. There’s one place in my area doing them for £60

To make matters interesting my landlord’s selling up and l need to vacate mid November

No you don’t. They’d like you to but ultimately they can’t force it. If you’ve got nowhere to go then stay put. Even if they’ve issued you with a Section 8 or Section 21 notice when that expires you don’t have to leave. They’ll then have to go to court for a repossession order which can take several months depending on how busy the county court is. When that date comes you still don’t have to leave. They then have to go back to court for a warrant of execution. again this can take months depending on the workload of the court, and only on that date do you have to leave because bailiffs can remove you.

That’s assuming that they have an enforceable notice in the first place. With a Section 21 no fault notice if they didn’t give you an Energy Performance Certificate AND a current gas safety certificate AND the current copy of the Government “How To Rent” booklet then they can’t issue a Section 21. The one that most landlords tend to forget to give tenants is the government how to rent booklet. If they’ve not given you those three things they’d have to give you them then give you a fresh Section 21 giving a fresh 2 month period.

And isn’t it amazing that if the landlord HAS DONE everything by the book and has decided to sell up, then he/she can be f****d about by the tenant for month upon month, even though the tenant has signed up for the terms of the contract in the rental agreement at the outset, this clearly states the landlord is only required to give 2 months notice for the tenant to vacate the property.

robbo99.:
isn’t it amazing that if the landlord HAS DONE everything by the book and has decided to sell up, then he/she can be f****d about by the tenant for month upon month, even though the tenant has signed up for the terms of the contract in the rental agreement at the outset, this clearly states the landlord is only required to give 2 months notice for the tenant to vacate the property.

Maybe one day they’ll make a daytime tv series about this, oh hang on……

peirre:

robbo99.:
isn’t it amazing that if the landlord HAS DONE everything by the book and has decided to sell up, then he/she can be f****d about by the tenant for month upon month, even though the tenant has signed up for the terms of the contract in the rental agreement at the outset, this clearly states the landlord is only required to give 2 months notice for the tenant to vacate the property.

Maybe one day they’ll make a daytime tv series about this, oh hang on……

Judge Judy for me, the perfect older woman!

robbo99.:

Conor:

And isn’t it amazing that if the landlord HAS DONE everything by the book and has decided to sell up, then he/she can be f****d about by the tenant for month upon month, even though the tenant has signed up for the terms of the contract in the rental agreement at the outset, this clearly states the landlord is only required to give 2 months notice for the tenant to vacate the property.

I agree,i’m seeing increasing numbers of landlords having to turf out people i know here on the isle of wight,good clean tenants.A good friend got 21’d 4 months ago and has ended up in Milton Keynes.LL was in tears but the economic landscape has certainly moved against them of late for sure.

I went to CAB recently to witness the spectacle of a non-anglo speaking import doing some horse-trading with his advisor about how can he avail himself of a bigger gaff for his expanding family that brought me up short.Romanian i suspect ? Lots of them washing up here lately and thousands of new build horrors in the pipeline as brown envelopes work their way down the council food chain.Horrific microcosm of the bigger picture,domino effect of it all.

Conor:

Thanks Conor.You’re always good for the ‘rubber meets the road’ of it all perspective.

manalishi:

Conor:

Thanks Conor.You’re always good for the ‘rubber meets the road’ of it all perspective.

Yeah he appears to be advocating f*****g a potentially perfectly legitimate landlord about.

the nodding donkey:
Buy a van. You can live in it.

You can also usi it to deliver parcels during the day. No CIP or CE needed.

Learning to speak Romanian is optional.

Would that i could ? wouldn’t be too big an adjustment for a seasoned tramper and preferable to being stuck inside a pile of bricks in many ways.Wonder if they have truck style heaters ?

Conor:

This one-Can I renew my HGV license after it has expired? - CV Hubs.

(How do l renew my licence) 4th paragraph down ?

manalishi:

Conor:

This one-Can I renew my HGV license after it has expired? - CV Hubs.

(How do l renew my licence) 4th paragraph down ?

Nope that didn’t work ■■■■.

robbo99.:

manalishi:

Yeah he appears to be advocating f*****g a potentially perfectly legitimate landlord about.

It’s not about shafting a perfectly legitimate landlord, it’s about saving someone from ending up being homeless and sleeping in their car when there are options available to them.

I used to be a landlord and tried to be a good one for my tenants which is how I know the rules, the fact that the law is weighted very heavily in favour of a tenant and the potential pitfalls for a landlord. If you’re letting a property then you’re operating as a business even if you’re someone who ends up as an accidental landlord, someone who needed to move, couldn’t sell their existing property and this was an option open to them. There is no such thing as a private landlord, don’t exist, can’t legally exist. And being a business has downsides as well as upsides, especially with residential letting.

Conor:

robbo99.:

manalishi:

It’s not about shafting a perfectly legitimate landlord, it’s about saving someone from ending up being homeless and sleeping in their car when there are options available to them.

I used to be a landlord and tried to be a good one for my tenants which is how I know the rules, the fact that the law is weighted very heavily in favour of a tenant and the potential pitfalls for a landlord. If you’re letting a property then you’re operating as a business even if you’re someone who ends up as an accidental landlord, someone who needed to move, couldn’t sell their existing property and this was an option open to them. There is no such thing as a private landlord, don’t exist, can’t legally exist. And being a business has downsides as well as upsides, especially with residential letting.

The tenant signs a contract, that contract is binding. What is difficult about that for a tenant to not understand?

A private landlord does indeed exist if they rent the property out and own said property in their own name, for tax purposes the landlord is a private landlord, earnings from the rental are submitted via self assesment. The requirement to create a company is only obligatory if you own a property or properties and it is your primary source of income, if the rental income is not the main source of income then a private landlord does indeed exist. Do keep up, I should know, I currently do it.

Conor:

Can bailiffs actually physically manhandle a tenant to the outside? l didn’t think even a bobby could do that, effectively leaving a tenant to a harsh life-threatening winter if no alternative roof is an option ? Wow what a gruesome scenario if so ?

manalishi:

Conor:

Can bailiffs actually physically manhandle a tenant to the outside? l didn’t think even a bobby could do that, effectively leaving a tenant to a harsh life-threatening winter if no alternative roof is an option ? Wow what a gruesome scenario if so ?

If you are genuinely in the position you say you are then do your homework online by researching the relevant sites associated with your queries, a truck driver’s forum is hardly the place I’d be perusing for such advice on the modus operandi of bailiffs.

robbo99.:
A private landlord does indeed exist if they rent the property out and own said property in their own name, for tax purposes the landlord is a private landlord, earnings from the rental are submitted via self assesment. The requirement to create a company is only obligatory if you own a property or properties and it is your primary source of income, if the rental income is not the main source of income then a private landlord does indeed exist. Do keep up, I should know, I currently do it.

Nope. Still operating as a business no different than a sole trader. Still need to comply with the same legal requirements under the Housing Act. You can call yourself anything you want but there is no such thing as a private landlord. What people mean by private landlords is ones who rent directly, not through a letting agency, but that doesn’t alter the fact you’re still operating as a business.

There is no requirement to create a company if it’s your only source of income. The only reason to do it is for tax benefits for the same reason someone may choose to set up a business as a Ltd instead of sole trader.

You should educate yourself, who knows what else you are completely clueless about, things that could ultimately result in costing you lots of money and unable to serve eviction notices. Is your tenant’s deposit in an official TDS? If not then you’re wide open to being sued for multiples of that deposit even if you give it back. Given the tenants the three things I listed above? If not then you can’t serve an eviction notice.

Conor:

robbo99.:

Nope. Still operating as a business no different than a sole trader. Still need to comply with the same legal requirements under the Housing Act. You can call yourself anything you want but there is no such thing as a private landlord. What people mean by private landlords is ones who rent directly, not through a letting agency, but that doesn’t alter the fact you’re still operating as a business.

There is no requirement to create a company if it’s your only source of income. The only reason to do it is for tax benefits for the same reason someone may choose to set up a business as a Ltd instead of sole trader.

You should educate yourself, who knows what else you are completely clueless about, things that could ultimately result in costing you lots of money and unable to serve eviction notices. Is your tenant’s deposit in an official TDS? If not then you’re wide open to being sued for multiples of that deposit even if you give it back. Given the tenants the three things I listed above? If not then you can’t serve an eviction notice.

You certainly don’t know when to give up when you are completely wrong. I will ignore your ramblings and reiterate the simple fact that a private landlord DOES EXIST. I do EVERYTHING legally and I am a private landlord.

You now state that a company does not need to be created, read your previous post and you said a company did need to be created as there is no such thing as a private landlord, make your mind up.

Guess what Conor, you don’t even know the facts of the TDS, it’s not compulsory, yes that’s what I said, it’s not compulsory. If a private landlord DOES NOT take a deposit from the tenant, say a family member, then there is no requirement to use the scheme, and yes I am fully legally covered, go do a bit more digging.

So once again for the benefit of Conor, a private landlord who owns a rental property in their own name and whose main income is not from rental income is NOT required to operate as a business/company. They are a private landlord.

I hate to pull you up again Conor but there are actually 5 documents that a landlord MUST furnish the tenant with prior to renting out the property and not just the 3 you stated. The 2 other legally required documents are the electrical certificate and a draft copy of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. Do keep up.