Licence Renewal

I’ve just renewed my licence for another 5 years. However, on my old licence my photo was due to expire in April 2015 but to avoid paying £20 to renew the photo any sooner than I had to I decided not to update the photo just now.

On my renewed licence with the same old photo (from 2005), the photo expiry date (4b) is now the same as the licence renewal date i.e August 2019.
Is this a mistake on DVLA’s part or is this a legitimate way of avoiding renewing your photo and the associated fee :question:

MAT:
I’ve just renewed my licence for another 5 years. However, on my old licence my photo was due to expire in April 2015 but to avoid paying £20 to renew the photo any sooner than I had to I decided not to update the photo just now.

On my renewed licence with the same old photo (from 2005), the photo expiry date (4b) is now the same as the licence renewal date i.e August 2019.
Is this a mistake on DVLA’s part or is this a legitimate way of avoiding renewing your photo and the associated fee :question:

I think in their wisdom it makes sense to have both together…
I would just go with the flow its not costing you anything :wink:

Just thought

it could be your an UGLY sod like me so didn’t want to subject the system to a failure :grimacing:

I’ve just renewed my licence coming up to my 60th and sent a cheque for £20, licence came back within the week and a day or so later a cheque for £20■■
I obviously miss read the forms but didn’t expect either so happy days :laughing:

Must be working the same as the other way around because if you had simply renewed the photo, even if not yet reached the expiry date, then you would have got 5 years for LGV

Bet that would have been cheaper at £20 or £24.50 at a post office that has the system for doing it electronically

Are you saying then Rog that if I’d simply updated the photo then I’d have got another 5 years lgv without having a medical :question: Surely not :question:

MAT:
Are you saying then Rog that if I’d simply updated the photo then I’d have got another 5 years lgv without having a medical :question: Surely not :question:

If it is your first licence renewal since October 2012 then YES

It has happened to loads on here and there are a few threads on this subject

ROG:
If it is your first licence renewal since October 2012 then YES

It has happened to loads on here and there are a few threads on this subject

Yes I saw the threads, but not before I’d renewed. Seems very odd. Mind you, the firm coughed for the medical so no big deal.

So if i decided my licence was lost, and sent a new mug shot with the application, i would get an extra 3 yrs, as currently my next medical is due jan 2016 (c ,c e, expiry date) although photo isnt due for renewal until 2021 ?

tommy t:
So if i decided my licence was lost, and sent a new mug shot with the application, i would get an extra 3 yrs, as currently my next medical is due jan 2016 (c ,c e, expiry date) although photo isnt due for renewal until 2021 ?

Do not need to claim it as lost - just simply send a new photo with £20 or at PO for £24.50

It must be the first licence issued since October 2012 for this to work

Well that’s ok as my current licence was issued back in jan 2011 following my medical saves £20 -£30 on the medical for 3yrs or so

tommy t:
Well that’s ok as my current licence was issued back in jan 2011 following my medical saves £20 -£30 on the medical for 3yrs or so

change photo late 2015

So, correct me if I’m wrong, but does this mean that if I renew my photo before the licence expiry date (22 01 2017) that I will not require a medical and will therefore be able to continue until I retire in 2020 without another medical■■?

Why late 2015 and not this year,if you do mind me asking ,as i can’t see what difference it would make ?

skorpio:
So, correct me if I’m wrong, but does this mean that if I renew my photo before the licence expiry date (22 01 2017) that I will not require a medical and will therefore be able to continue until I retire in 2020 without another medical■■?

Yes, that’s the way it works. Sounds wrong, but the idea appears to be for DVLA to get the various expiry dates (truck classes, bus classes, photo) to match up with one another, this eventually simplifying the whole thing. My licence now shows the same expiry date (Feb 2019) for all of them, whereas before I had one expiry date for C/C+E and another for the photo (If I had Group D, that would have had yet another expiry date).

tommy t:
Why late 2015 and not this year,if you do mind me asking ,as i can’t see what difference it would make ?

It just puts off the expense etc of a medical for as long as possible.

So i did renew photo next year the new licence wouldn’t expire until 2025(10yrs) and my cat c, c e , would show an expiry date of 2019 or would it be 2020 presumably from the month it was renewed or would that stay to the same month JAN ?

tommy t:
So i did renew photo next year the new licence wouldn’t expire until 2025(10yrs) and my cat c, c e , would show an expiry date of 2019 or would it be 2020 presumably from the month it was renewed or would that stay to the same month JAN ?

Renew photo late 2015 and get LGV expiry late 2020 with photo valid til late 2025

Licence expiry timings go by their issue date

tommy t:

Imy C+E was due for renewal because of medical on my 55th in March 2015. renewed my photo earlier this year less than a week before the photo was due to expire. Did it online and the licence was back within a few days with an expiry date in May 2019, the 5 years from when they processed my photo renewal application. No medical required until then now.