Licence renewal

Just a quickie, how long is it taking DVLA to get their arse in gear when issuing renewals ?

Sent mine off on 1/11/21 and heard nothing since, tried phoning a couple of times but they hang up defore answering.

I’ve seen posts on TN saying they’ve waited up to 16 weeks :open_mouth:

Mine was back in 3 weeks and that included it coming back and being sent again as I forgot to enclose a photo. Doh…

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2 questions regarding a car licence only…
My youngest lad reckons he did not get a renewal.reminder,.and his licence expired 2 months ago…(yeh I know :unamused: )
It also needs a new photo.and a change of address,.so I told him to keep a photo of his completed application form on his phone in case he gets pulled by the law…so.

If he had got pulled in last two months (essentially with no licence)., what charges would he have faced, .and was his insurance void?

If he gets pulled now is he ok considering he has applied and has proof of so,.even though it was 2 months ago.?

Cheers.

robroy:
2 questions regarding a car licence only…
My youngest lad reckons he did not get a renewal.reminder,.and his licence expired 2 months ago…(yeh I know :unamused: )
It also needs a new photo.and a change of address,.so I told him to keep a photo of his completed application form on his phone in case he gets pulled by the law…so.

If he had got pulled in last two months (essentially with no licence)., what charges would he have faced, .and was his insurance void?

If he gets pulled now is he ok considering he has applied and has proof of so,.even though it was 2 months ago.?

Cheers.

Provided he is not disqualified from driving then he is covered. This is shown on all Insurance Certificates and has been the situation for many years.

^^^^^^
Ok cheers for that mate, but what if he had got pulled with an expired licence before he’d applied.
Surely they would have found some way to nick him.

robroy:
^^^^^^
Ok cheers for that mate, but what if he had got pulled with an expired licence before he’d applied.
Surely they would have found some way to nick him.

As it is in the past I would forget about it, either that or blame DVLA and let them sort it out.

My licence expired on 13/12/2021 and sent my renewal application on 11/10/2021.

As I had not received it on 5/12/2021 I went online and got a new licence dated from 10/12/2021, my renewal arrived dated 15/12/2021 so I would have been unlicensed on 14/12/2021.

Personally I do not believe anything unless I have it in writing, the phrase “you may be able to drive whilst your application is being processed” is something I am very wary of.

Being over 70 I need an annual medical
Sent mine off registered post 08/11/21
Got an acknowledgment about mid December:- "Your Driving licence should follow shortly - please allow 2 weeks
It might take longer if we have to check your medical or personal details.
If we need to make medical enquiries we will let you know."

It’s now February & not heard a dicky

sent my renewal off on the 21/1/22 recorded delivery apparently they signed for it on the 23rd. E-mailed them on the 26th asking for a code to carry on driving and to check progress after gaving to answer the same questions again i got a responce on the 27th saying it will be sent out that day but if i hadnt recived it in 2 weeks to call them. ended up recieving it on the 29th so 8 days after sending it

however i dont have any points or issues nor any medical problems other than needing glasses and im only 45 or i will be at the end of the month

Thanks all.

It seems its just pot luck.

cooper1203:
sent my renewal off on the 21/1/22 recorded delivery apparently they signed for it on the 23rd. E-mailed them on the 26th asking for a code to carry on driving and to check progress after gaving to answer the same questions again i got a responce on the 27th saying it will be sent out that day but if i hadnt recived it in 2 weeks to call them. ended up recieving it on the 29th so 8 days after sending it

however i dont have any points or issues nor any medical problems other than needing glasses and im only 45 or i will be at the end of the month

A very similar experience for me - sent it the same week (24/01/22 by Special Delivery for £6.85 - yep I’m a Class 1 driver now, there’s no way I’d have paid that on my Class 2 wages :smiley: ) and also received it back 8 days later.

Like you I’m fortunate enough to have absolutely no medical history of any note whatsoever, just need the specs, although I’m a bit older.

I did also include my old licence - did wonder if that speeds things up a little, after all they’ve then got something straight in their hand to compare your current signature and photo with …

Anyways, not convinced a sample of 2 provides enough statistically significant evidence, but er, currently looking like if you’ve a straightforward application and you get it in now, there is at least some hope of a fast turnaround…

Jan 6 medical sent same day back a week later sent signed for ,I need medical every year …good service : :sunglasses:

fuse:
Jan 6 medical sent same day back a week later sent signed for ,I need medical every year …good service : :sunglasses:

Your above post reminds me of the days of sending telegrams when you had to pay by the word and hence used utmost care not to use any superfluous words, like prepositions. [emoji57]

Finally got mine back today. Sent it off on 08/11/21

What I don’t understand is the wording on the accompanying letter: “If your medical condition gets worse or your doctor tells you not to drive, please let us know.”

I don’t have a medical condition apart from fragile bones. I guess it’s because I’m over 70 ■■