licence renewal

Just seen that the extension period for renewing your licence has been extended, if you’re due to renew up until 31st Dec 2020, you can wait 11 months more before renewing, does this apply to HGV, does anyone know?, maybe Rog?, mines due for renewal o 24 th December, does that mean I don’t have to do medical until Nov 2021?

Sapper

sapper,

The way I am reading it, the extension applies to those over 45. However, if you do apply to renew you currently don’t have to provide a D4, but the new licence will only be for one year if you don’t provide one.

I would simply get the D4 done about a month prior to current expiry and get the normal 5 years

For those over 65 who only get one year anyway?
Save the fee.
Or have I got that wrong?

Sorry Pierre, should have said, I am 66 on with Dec, so technically gain nearly a year if I don’t need to renew till Nov 2021.

Sapper

I’m wondering this too, do you just wait and hope your new licence automatically arrives instead of the usual renewal forms if you are in the catchment, or do you have to apply.
ie mine runs out in October, should i expect my new (free? :sunglasses: ) licence to arrive sometime this month or should i start phoning before we get into Oct?
Or, do i just carry on with a technically exprired licence, don’t like the sound of that unless it’s writ in stone somewhere.

try phoning, yeh good luck with that i have been trying for two months, no one answers the phone or it just cuts off straight away, i even tried the key workers line, same thing.

hotel magnum:
try phoning, yeh good luck with that i have been trying for two months, no one answers the phone or it just cuts off straight away, i even tried the key workers line, same thing.

They are, or were, mostly working from home. I sent mine off as the photocard pic needed renewing (only car now, I dropped the LGV part a couple of years ago) and that was in March and it hasn’t come back yet. I will be 70 in December so I suppose I will have to go through the whole process again, assuming it’s even come back by then.

Pete.

Juddian:
I’m wondering this too, do you just wait and hope your new licence automatically arrives instead of the usual renewal forms if you are in the catchment, or do you have to apply.
ie mine runs out in October, should i expect my new (free? :sunglasses: ) licence to arrive sometime this month or should i start phoning before we get into Oct?
Or, do i just carry on with a technically exprired licence, don’t like the sound of that unless it’s writ in stone somewhere.

Mine runs out 1st October. Letter from DVLA arrived around 10th August with application and D4. Filled in and sent off application but not D4 so will just get 1 year renewal. Don’t know if it has arrived yet as I am now on holiday.

You will/should receive a letter about 6 weeks before your current licence runs out and you can reapply for 1 year with no medical or 5 years if you are able to get a medical.

Mystery Action:

Juddian:

Mine runs out 1st October. Letter from DVLA arrived around 10th August with application and D4. Filled in and sent off application but not D4 so will just get 1 year renewal. Don’t know if it has arrived yet as I am now on holiday.

You will/should receive a letter about 6 weeks before your current licence runs out and you can reapply for 1 year with no medical or 5 years if you are able to get a medical.

Much obliged, hoping mine arrives shortly.