Licence renewal

Hi all, got my med tomorrow and just goin through all paperwork , as far as I can see there is no charge for renewal of licence to drive a lorry .
Put my mind at ease somebody, am I reading it right, don’t want any delays.
Thanks,
Jim

You can’t believe that there is something that is free but it is true, there is no charge.

Just the cost of the D4 medical = max £60 or you have been fleeced :exclamation:

No charge , I got mine done over 2 weeks ago waiting for my licence now , rang the dvla yesterday they said it ain’t been issued yet as they want more info from my doctor :open_mouth: licence runs out next Thursday but they said I can still drive until it comes under a section 88. No rush in the bods at Swansea :unamused:

largebloke1969:
No charge , I got mine done over 2 weeks ago waiting for my licence now , rang the dvla yesterday they said it ain’t been issued yet as they want more info from my doctor :open_mouth: licence runs out next Thursday but they said I can still drive until it comes under a section 88. No rush in the bods at Swansea :unamused:

I’m in the same boat,I sent my renewal docs off three weeks ago and my licence expired two weeks ago.
They tell you in the application that renewal can take around three weeks so don’t bother chasing before then.
I 'phoned them on Monday this week and was told my application was with the medical department but I can still drive under section 88 until my licence is returned or I hear otherwise from them.
When I sent in my appication I stated that I was seeing a consultant in haematology as a condition has been picked out from my blood tests taken on my annual diabetes check up,(only borderline diabetes, diet controlled, no problem).
The blood condition is called Polycythemia, and is an excess of red blood cells, (Like the opposite of Anaemia), and I enclosed the consultants latest letter which states that I am asymptomatic, (Showing NO symptons of anything), and the consultant wants to see me in another ten weeks with the only advice being that I drink more water as dehydration can cause this situation.
Both my GP and consultant have assured me that this condition is no reason to refuse my licence renewal,depends on how the DVLA interpret this!

But as I have found out in the recent past, the new licence starts from the day the DVLA posts it to you,so as I have to renew my licence every year now, I am gaining some time.

My licence used to be up for renewal on my birthday in July, but these last few years I have gained three months while waiting for my licence to come back.

When I think about it, there are several drivers on my firm that have had heart attacks and been back driving in a short space of time, so I can’t think my condition is serious.

ROG:
Just the cost of the D4 medical = max £60 or you have been fleeced :exclamation:

Thank you Rog, the form was a little ambiguous.
And , errr , I’ve been fleeced, but I wanted my own doctor to do it
Thanks,
Jim

JFC999:
. And , errr , I’ve been fleeced, but I wanted my own doctor to do it

My GP was charging over £140 for a HGV medical about 8 years ago, I’d be too scared to ask what they charge now :frowning:

Sent from my mobile.

bestbooties:

largebloke1969:

I’m in the same boat,I sent my renewal docs off three weeks ago and my licence expired two weeks ago.
They tell you in the application that renewal can take around three weeks so don’t bother chasing before then.
I 'phoned them on Monday this week and was told my application was with the medical department but I can still drive under section 88 until my licence is returned or I hear otherwise from them.
When I sent in my appication I stated that I was seeing a consultant in haematology as a condition has been picked out from my blood tests taken on my annual diabetes check up,(only borderline diabetes, diet controlled, no problem).
The blood condition is called Polycythemia, and is an excess of red blood cells, (Like the opposite of Anaemia), and I enclosed the consultants latest letter which states that I am asymptomatic, (Showing NO symptons of anything), and the consultant wants to see me in another ten weeks with the only advice being that I drink more water as dehydration can cause this situation.
Both my GP and consultant have assured me that this condition is no reason to refuse my licence renewal,depends on how the DVLA interpret this!

But as I have found out in the recent past, the new licence starts from the day the DVLA posts it to you,so as I have to renew my licence every year now, I am gaining some time.

My licence used to be up for renewal on my birthday in July, but these last few years I have gained three months while waiting for my licence to come back.

When I think about it, there are several drivers on my firm that have had heart attacks and been back driving in a short space of time, so I can’t think my condition is serious.

Made me laugh when I read on the covering letter when I got my forms , it says you can apply up to 2 months before your licence runs out … well send the ■■■■■■ forms 2 months before then you ■■■■■■■■ :smiling_imp:

Thanks for your replies everybody, much appreciated .
Medical done , finally found the corner on the renewal form that said “no fee required”
All forms ready to post , dvla do your worst !
Jim