Licence renewal

Freight Dog:

robroy:

Freight Dog:

robroy:
Heard nothing,.as I said just rang the wife.
Not like the DVLA to [zb] up eh? :unamused:
Got to take most of the blame myself, I should have rememberd.
Got to be honest here,.I noticed it was coming up in January, and I simply forgot about it. :blush: :unamused:

Will need to get my skates on and get sorted with application for wk.end, and a medical sorted for Monday,.and send it off
If my form is in, and my licence expires before I get word back.
ā€¦How do you reckon Iā€™ll stand ?

I havenā€™t read this link to check Rob (it looks a scintillating read) but looks like it might provide some help

gov.uk/government/uploads/s ā€¦ ce.pdf.pdf

Thanks mate, reading that it looks like Iā€™m ok while my application is getting sorted, if licence runs out at that time.
Next hurdle is the [zb] medical,.I had blood pressure issues last time.
My last BP reading was 148 over 94 which is a bit high, so Iā€™ll need to get the bike out at wk.end and cut down my coffee intake. :unamused:

Donā€™t stress the BP. I made the mistake of getting one of the boots home ones, the type that blow up a balloon thing on your arm. Mine is fairly normal normally around 120 ish. Then I took some higher readings, 150, 148, I think I had 150 something one week lol!. I was just stressed. Tossed the friggin thing in the wardrobe :laughing: . My doctor has never said anything, normally too busy talking to me. Mind you talking whilst they do it or moving can affect it. Itā€™s so sensitive. I skip the morning coffee before mine too. Wouldnā€™t worry about it. Docs know medicals cause higher BPs anyway.

Your a bit long in the tooth to be worrying about renewing your licence
Our blood pressure changes every hour or two every day depending on what your doing or what youā€™re even thinking
As long as it donā€™t go over a certain number that they go by it will be fine
You donā€™t have white coat sindrem do you
Panicking at your age whatā€™s next you love your fellow drivers

robroy:

Harry Monk:

robroy:
My last BP reading was 148 over 94 which is a bit high, so Iā€™ll need to get the bike out at wk.end and cut down my coffee intake. :unamused:

The limit for an HGV medical is 180/100 so you should be fine.

Cheers for that bit of encouragement Harry. :wink:
Btw Where did you see this?

Itā€™s been covered on here a few times but hereā€™s a link to the info.

"However, the medical standards for driving buses and large lorries are much higher than for those driving a car or motorcycle. This is because the vehicles are much larger and heavier and because you may spend much more time behind the wheel, especially if driving is part of your job.

If your resting blood pressure is consistently 180mmHg systolic (top or maxiumum number) or more and/or 100mmHg diastolic (bottom or minimum number) or more then you cannot drive a bus or large lorry. But the good news is that once your blood pressure has been lowered and is under control, you can then be re-licensed".

bloodpressureuk.org/microsit ā€¦ ly/Driving

pierrot 14:
Sammym, I hope youā€™re not texting while driving,ā– ā– ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Or havenā€™t you left yet .

Donā€™t start til 1am.

Letā€™s be honest - Iā€™m a consummate professional would never touch a phone when driving. Itā€™s against the law.

sammym:

pierrot 14:
Sammym, I hope youā€™re not texting while driving,ā– ā– ? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Donā€™t start til 1am.

Letā€™s be honest - Iā€™m a consummate professional would never touch a phone when driving. Itā€™s against the law.

Oh right, itā€™s just on your other thread about DHL Halewood, you said that you had a " night run, this evening "

sammym:

pierrot 14:

Donā€™t start til 1am.

Shouldnā€™t a consummate professional be getting some sleep before a full shift driving a heavy goods vehicle?

Harry Monk:

sammym:

pierrot 14:

Donā€™t start til 1am.

Shouldnā€™t a consummate professional be getting some sleep before a full shift driving a heavy goods vehicle?

Not when you have had a cold and have been sleeping all day. Motorbike lesson this morning, came home slept til 4. Only woke up to say yes to the job.

nightline:

Freight Dog:

robroy:
Thanks mate, reading that it looks like Iā€™m ok while my application is getting sorted, if licence runs out at that time.

Donā€™t stress the BP. I made the mistake of getting one of the boots home ones, the type that blow up a balloon thing on your arm. Mine is fairly normal normally around 120 ish. Then I took some higher readings, 150, 148, I think I had 150 something one week lol!. I was just stressed. Tossed the friggin thing in the wardrobe :laughing: . My doctor has never said anything, normally too busy talking to me. Mind you talking whilst they do it or moving can affect it. Itā€™s so sensitive. I skip the morning coffee before mine too. Wouldnā€™t worry about it. Docs know medicals cause higher BPs anyway.

Our blood pressure changes every hour or two every day depending on what your doing or what youā€™re even thinking

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re replying to me or Rob nightline :laughing: ?

Freight Dog:

nightline:

Freight Dog:

robroy:

Sorry rob

robroy:

Harry Monk:

robroy:

The limit for an HGV medical is 180/100 so you should be fine.

Cheers for that bit of encouragement Harry. :wink:
Btw Where did you see this?

As said donā€™t sweat it unless your figure is 180/100 or more.

Hi Rob, think I mentioned Tantra techniques to reduce blood pressure but hereā€™s some calming techniques that may help.

Lay on your bunk and picture a quiet beach, thereā€™s only you on it suns shinning and the sea is gently lapping the shore, now I want you to relax every part of your body starting with your toes then working up to your head. Now countdown outloud from 20 to 1 slowly and with every second relax a little bit more so you feel your sinking deeper and deeper into your mattress.

When you reach 1 I will snap my fingers and you will take off all your clothes andā€¦ (Oops ignore this, force of habit).

tachograph:
My licence is due for renewal mid April and my renewal form came about 3 weeks ago.

Similar for me.

Since blood pressure was discussed here several weeks ago, surely you mustā€™ve had enough time to get help and sort it.

Freight Dog:

nightline:

Freight Dog:

robroy:

By the time we find out Iā€™ll be on my next licence with him being on pre.mod. :smiley:
ā€¦I canā€™t for the life of me think why that is btw. :neutral_face:

robroy:

Steve66:
Donā€™t panic Rob.
My licence has actually expired while DVLA are carrying out medical checks.
Iā€™m still driving.
Check out Section 88 if youā€™re worried.

Not prying here mate, but is that because there was a problem on your medical?
Got to be honest here, Iā€™m kinda worried about the blood pressure thingā€¦which is a bit ironic as worrying increases it. :unamused:

No problems with the medical.
Iā€™ve had Diabetes Type 2 for about 25 years and Iā€™m under a 3 yearly renewal.
I have to sign a form at every renewal for permission to let DVLA access my medical records from my GP.
Itā€™s expired while theyā€™re doing it.
Itā€™s twice now.

peirre:
Since blood pressure was discussed here several weeks ago, surely you mustā€™ve had enough time to get help and sort it.

Iā€™ve already said I was stupid enough to let my expiry slip my mind, it just kind of came up on me a bit too soon :smiley:ā€¦got it in my head it was in June for some reason :unamused: (and not getting my reminder didnā€™t help)ā€¦but yeh since January I have been getting a bit more excercise, and trying to watch what I eat a bit more, so after my last reading, and if what Harry and others say is right, I should be ok ā€¦despite me being quote; too long in the toothā€™ā€™ and my ā€˜White coat sindremā€™ :laughing: :laughing:
(think he meant ā€˜syndromeā€™ btw, insults and pops work much better if you spell them right :unamused: :smiley: )

I have just had my medical (65) this week. I can only say what the doctor I saw wanted. This was at a clinic which does regular HGV/PSV medicals. Compared to 5 years ago there are differences. The doctor may not be able to fill in the eyesight part of the form, you will need to ask when you book the appointment and mention if you wear glasses . You may need to get that part filled in by an optician and of course that is another fee too, even though I qualify for a free eye test. Pee in a bottle seems to have been deleted. Also noticeable was that the smoking question now wants to know if you have ever smoked. I was also asked if I had ever had an ECG outside Hospital. I was asked was whether I had ever had to use a portable blood pressure monitor. The machine set off an alarm because my pulse is always so slow. My blood pressure was high even though I was relaxed and not concerned 154/70. This was a surprise since IIRC it is usually 110/? The doctor commented that my GP would be concerned at 140 but the form requires two further readings to be taken each 5 minutes apart if it is high and the best reading entered. I was asked to take deep breaths and think calm thoughts. The BP came down to 124/77 and the pulse went up by 20.

Since my licence expires April 5th and I am not 65 'till August I am just waiting for Swansea to decide that I only get a licence for 4 months and the whole thing starts all over again.

cav551:
I have just had my medical (65) this week. I can only say what the doctor I saw wanted. This was at a clinic which does regular HGV/PSV medicals. Compared to 5 years ago there are differences. The doctor may not be able to fill in the eyesight part of the form, you will need to ask when you book the appointment and mention if you wear glasses . You may need to get that part filled in by an optician and of course that is another fee too, even though I qualify for a free eye test. Pee in a bottle seems to have been deleted. Also noticeable was that the smoking question now wants to know if you have ever smoked. I was also asked if I had ever had an ECG outside Hospital. I was asked was whether I had ever had to use a portable blood pressure monitor. The machine set off an alarm because my pulse is always so slow. My blood pressure was high even though I was relaxed and not concerned 154/70. This was a surprise since IIRC it is usually 110/? The doctor commented that my GP would be concerned at 140 but the form requires two further readings to be taken each 5 minutes apart if it is high and the best reading entered. I was asked to take deep breaths and think calm thoughts. The BP came down to 124/77 and the pulse went up by 20.

Since my licence expires April 5th and I am not 65 'till August I am just waiting for Swansea to decide that I only get a licence for 4 months and the whole thing starts all over again.

Fair play to you mate, but if that happened in my case I reckon Iā€™d just say ā– ā– ā– ā–  it, and call it a day.
Simply could not be arsed to go through all that palaver, ā€¦especially with how the job is nowadays.
Hope you get it all sorted mate anyway, if thatā€™s what you want.

I wouldnā€™t worry cav551,they will probably renew it for t least a year after your 65th. Iā€™m 65 in mid 2019 but my entitlement runs untill I am 66ā€¦not that I am going to work on after 2019ā€¦I have had e enough!

I never got reminder eitherā€¦ I had to chase it myselfā€¦ phoned dvla twice asking for forms and got nothing in the postā€¦
so i got them from the post officeā€¦ (ask for D2 / D4 RENEWAL PACK)
I booked optician within a few days but couldnā€™t get doctors appointment until 2 days before expiryā€¦
soon as i got forms completed on the thursday evening i sent them off registered postā€¦
BUT my employer wouldnā€™t allow me to drive until i got my licence back, even though dvla guidelines say you canā€¦
so i had 2 nights off the following weekā€¦ licence came back very quickly in the post wed morningā€¦ rang work and went back in that nightā€¦

Trukkertone:
I never got reminder eitherā€¦ I had to chase it myselfā€¦ phoned dvla twice asking for forms and got nothing in the postā€¦
so i got them from the post officeā€¦ (ask for D2 / D4 RENEWAL PACK)
I booked optician within a few days but couldnā€™t get doctors appointment until 2 days before expiryā€¦
soon as i got forms completed on the thursday evening i sent them off registered postā€¦
BUT my employer wouldnā€™t allow me to drive until i got my licence back, even though dvla guidelines say you canā€¦
so i had 2 nights off the following weekā€¦ licence came back very quickly in the post wed morningā€¦ rang work and went back in that nightā€¦

And did you get any payment for time not allowed work