licence renewal query

Hi just renewed my photocard but it says only valid for 5 years i thought it was 10 years anyone know why this is.

phone DVLA and ask the question

hook:
Hi just renewed my photocard but it says only valid for 5 years i thought it was 10 years anyone know why this is.

Always been 5 years

Tried dvla couldn’t get through so emailed them but thought might get quicker answer here as email takes about 3 days to reply.

hook:

I KNOW WHY

The photo IS for 10 years but because the LGV expires in 5 years they use the same date for the photo - you will NOT need a new photo in 5 years

Its weird but that’s how they do it

On changing that photo did they give you 5 years on your LGV or are you under age 45 so it made no difference ■■

hook:

I had the same problem. I phoned dvla and was told its because uk has fallen into line with Europe. So because of this I dont have to sit my first medical which should have been next year (at45) till 2019 because thats when my vocational licences expire

Yes rog my ce expires on same date as you say but i need to renew my hgv in 3 years when i’m 50.
Am i right you need medical and renew hgv every 5 years from 45 years old.

Rog will i need to apply for new photo card in 2019 but will not need new photo.

hook:
Yes rog my ce expires on same date as you say but i need to renew my hgv in 3 years when i’m 50.
Am i right you need medical and renew hgv every 5 years from 45 years old.

What is the current LGV C and CE expiry dates on your new licence?

hook:
Rog will i need to apply for new photo card in 2019 but will not need new photo.

Not if you have just got a new one - it lasts 10 years

Yes got new photocard this week but has expiry on the front of 2019

hook:
Yes got new photocard this week but has expiry on the front of 2019

What is the expiry date next to the cat C ?

02/08 2019 next to cat c o back of photocard

hook:
02/08 2019 next to cat c o back of photocard

hook:
i need to renew my hgv in 3 years when i’m 50.

You need to renew by 02/08/2019 not at age 50 in 2017

As this is your first licence issue since October 2012 then changing the photo gives 5 years on the LGV expiry date

You got 2 years extra before needing a D4 medical … I got 3.5 years extra when I did mine :smiley:

Thanks rog i got email from dvla saying since 19 january 2013 all hgv and psv licence holders will have licence valid for a maximum of 5 years when renewing photocard with new photo.