Licence renewal (losing months from Birthday date)

Hi, have just renewed my licence. My birthday is mid June but now my new licence is due to expire March 2028. Every time I have renewed I lose more time.
Surely it should always expire on my birthday date.
Is there anything I can do, and who is best to contact . Tia

It’s not even 40p a month. You’re not even losing out on £1. Driving licence expiry dates are based on date of issue. Driving category dates are based on date of birth.

It’s not a major issue when you’re carrying on working but it’s a pain when you get to retirement age. I’m packing it in anyway this year at 65 and taking my private pension but if I did want to continue to next year my licence will expire over 6 weeks before I become eligible for my state pension, so anyone relying on getting their pension would need to renew their licence for a year purely to drive for those six weeks.

£20 or so for a licence renewal which could earn them 200-300 times that in the space of 6 weeks, failing to see the issue.

They’d have to renew their licence anyway if they wanted to continue to state retirement age because once you hit 65 it goes onto 12 month medicals.

Conor:
£20 or so for a licence renewal which could earn them 200-300 times that in the space of 6 weeks, failing to see the issue.

They’d have to renew their licence anyway if they wanted to continue to state retirement age because once you hit 65 it goes onto 12 month medicals.

His isn’t a £20 renewal though, since he would also need to pay for a medical.
On another recent post regarding renewal at 65, a poster has claimed that he had renewed at 64 with a fresh medical, and was issued with a 5 year licence, if this is correct, I would imagine that DVLA can only issue a 1 year licence once are actually 65, prior to that you must be entitled to a 5 year licence (or the person that made this claim is tell porkies)
As for losing time from the renewal, it will happen every time you renew from the age of 45 as packs are sent out 2 months in advance, do it as soon as you get it, and have no medical issues your new 5 year licence could be issued with a start date 6 weeks before you hit 45, and will continue to fall behind up until you approach 65 to the point that your 5 year licence could expire when you are 64 and a half, and at that age they can’t issue a 1 year licence or a 6 month licence.
All of the above is alleged, but there are claims that this may be true, I think even RobRoy is hoping it is.

weeto:

Conor:

His isn’t a £20 renewal though, since he would also need to pay for a medical.
On another recent post regarding renewal at 65, a poster has claimed that he had renewed at 64 with a fresh medical, and was issued with a 5 year licence, if this is correct, I would imagine that DVLA can only issue a 1 year licence once are actually 65, prior to that you must be entitled to a 5 year licence (or the person that made this claim is tell porkies)
As for losing time from the renewal, it will happen every time you renew from the age of 45 as packs are sent out 2 months in advance, do it as soon as you get it, and have no medical issues your new 5 year licence could be issued with a start date 6 weeks before you hit 45, and will continue to fall behind up until you approach 65 to the point that your 5 year licence could expire when you are 64 and a half, and at that age they can’t issue a 1 year licence or a 6 month licence.
All of the above is alleged, but there are claims that this may be true, I think even RobRoy is hoping it is.

I hope that’s true I’ve just renewed mine at 64,I’m waiting for my license to come back I was expecting to have to renew again at 66 btw renewal was free medical cost me £47 though

I get your point. You send off your licence as soon as possible after your medical in case there’s delays at DVLA but it ends up being processed quickly and granted from that day. I have also lost about 9 weeks over two licence renewals