Licence Query

Firstly, I don’t know what C, C+E, F, J and all the rest mean. I’ve got a class one and I know it means I can drive an artic, that’s always been enough knowledge for me.
However, in t’pub the other night my mate says he needs to take his class two. I asked him why and he says he wants to pull a trailer with his truck. I don’t think he needs to but I’ll let you kind boys and girls put me right if you don’t mind.
He has an Atego plated at 7.5 tonne, it’s been converted to a motorhome/race bike transporter and he doesn’t use it for hire & reward. He wants to pull a trailer with it and has had his licence for donkeys years so is ok with the old towing a trailer with his car bit, but I’m curious as to how he’ll stand.
Any info gratefully received.

How big’s the trailer? If it’s under 750 kgs he should already have the correct licence, if it’s any bigger a class 2 licence (cat C) won’t help anyway.

mrpj:
How big’s the trailer? If it’s under 750 kgs he should already have the correct licence, if it’s any bigger a class 2 licence (cat C) won’t help anyway.

If the trailer is over 750 kgs he can get the unrestricted version of C1+E which would cover him for a 7.5 tonner and a trailer up to a max train weight of 12t but that means going for another test.

Not sure of the trailer size TBH. I’ll bell him tommorrow and find out. When you say 750kg, I assume you mean the trailer unladen weight do you?

the maoster:
Not sure of the trailer size TBH. I’ll bell him tommorrow and find out. When you say 750kg, I assume you mean the trailer unladen weight do you?

No, its laden weight,

Category explanations:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022547

as an aside, depending on the weight of the motorhome he might be able to downrate the atego to 6.5t and use a trailer with an unladen weight of less than 1t up to a max train weight of 8.25t on the resrticted C1+E.

I used to drive an Isuzu in this configuration delivering cars and vans

scottie0011:
as an aside, depending on the weight of the motorhome he might be able to downrate the atego to 6.5t and use a trailer with an unladen weight of less than 1t up to a max train weight of 8.25t on the resrticted C1+E.

My view on this is that it goes on the gross permissable weights.

For a C1+E with a 107 code restriction -
Max total MAM = 8250kg

7500kg towing vehicle + 750kg trailer = 8250kg

5000kg towing vehicle + 3250kg trailer = 8250kg

As long as the towing vehicle is heavier than the trailer then this should be ok.

Anyone tell me if I got this correct please :question:

Well :: this is an interesting one.

I gess restriction 107 = “Domestic & Pleasure” (hence the MASS difference from “Hire & Reward” )

In which case,
assuming this dude has C1E on his licence
(which if he’s “Had it for years”, he should have by “Grandad rights”)

Q-fusus say:: Register it as a Showmans Vehicle :slight_smile:

ROG:

scottie0011:

My view on this is that it goes on the gross permissable weights.

For a C1+E with a 107 code restriction -
Max total MAM = 8250kg

7500kg towing vehicle + 750kg trailer = 8250kg

5000kg towing vehicle + 3250kg trailer = 8250kg

As long as the towing vehicle is heavier than the trailer then this should be ok.

Anyone tell me if I got this correct please :question:

I can now answer my own question as I have just come of the phone to DVLA :slight_smile:

C1+E with 107 retriction code for private use -

Best thing to do is to DOWNRATE the towing vehicle as far as possible but remember that it must be plated heavier than the trailer.

If downrated to 5 tonnes then the trailer can be max plated at 3250 tonnes.

Contact VOSA about downrating - it is usually a paper exercise - so i’ve been told…

Many thanks for your replies guys, I’ll let him know what you’ve written and leave it in his hands.

The 107 restriction is nothing to do with ‘hire and reward’ or ‘private use’ it simply refers to the 8250kgs train weight.

mrpj:
The 107 restriction is nothing to do with ‘hire and reward’ or ‘private use’ it simply refers to the 8250kgs train weight.

Thanks - I forgot to make that point clear :blush: :blush: