Licence Query

I’ve just got my licence back from Swansea and decided to have a good check through to make sure they hadn’t nicked anything off me.

Having just added C+E I would have expected to have lost the 107 restriction (max weight 8250kg) for my C1E entitlement.

Any ideas? Swansea can’t help unti next week.

Also they haven’t put on code 01 (eyesight correction) for C+E so technically I could drive an artic with glasses but have to put them on if running bobtail :unamused:

I’ve got the 107 restriction against the C1E entitlement on mine. It makes sense if you think about it because if you were driving anything heavier you would be doing it under the C+E entitlement and not the C1E anyway.

Coffeeholic:
I’ve got the 107 restriction against the C1E entitlement on mine.

I’ve got it too :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Not neccessarily because the DVLA definition of C1E is as follows

Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory C! and it’s trailer has a MAM of over 750Kg provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000Kg and that the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle.

So if I were to drive a 7.5 tonner with an Ifor Williams trailer (3500Kg) it’d be classed as C1E not CE.

I’m not actually planning on doing this but it’s possibile that the need may arise one day. The way our daft law works I’d probably get done for being unlicensed (I’m sure there are plenty of people driving 7.5t with larger trailers without the correct entitlement)

8wheels:
So if I were to drive a 7.5 tonner with an Ifor Williams trailer (3500Kg) it’d be classed as C1E not CE.

I think that legally C is anything over 3.5t not 7.5t so you’d be driving under your CE licence not C1E.

I think that the reason it stays on is that your C and C+E entitlements are only valid until your 45th birthday, but your C1 and C1+E entitlements are valid until your 70th birthday. Your C1 and C1+E entitlements are grandfather rights, so they don’t take them away from you (since you had an entitlement to drive C1 and C1+E until your 70th birthday before you took the LGV test), and therefore, if you choose not to have a medical at your 45th birthday and let your C and C+E entitlements expire, you’ll retain your C1 and C1+E until 70.

Therefore, if they lose the 107 now, you will have gained a post-45th-birthday entitlement that you shouldn’t have.

PS: Congrats on passing the C+E :slight_smile:

The reason for this 8wheels so Im told is because you or I havent actually taken a test in a Cat C1+E, but because you have a C+E this is a Higher category, then the C1+E, so no need to worry about it. :slight_smile:

Hmm, it makes an odd sort of sense but I think I’ll email the DVLA for the definative clarification.

I also have the 107 restriction. :frowning:
BTW, I passed the old HGV1 in 1979 when an HGV licence was a brown book.

Shrek could be the man to answer this one, it’s something that may have come up in his last job.

Sadly, I am not the man for the answer :blush:

It never came up during my time in traffic and I don’t know the answer, but I also have that 107 on my ticket. I passed in 1987 and also had a little brown book!

Shrek:

It never came up during my time in traffic and I don’t know the answer, but I also have that 107 on my ticket. I passed in 1987 and also had a little brown book!

I only have TV license does that count :laughing: :laughing:

thecoder0:

It does but you’ll have to get it upgraded by 2012 when the new digital service starts. Although Grandfather rights should be given. :laughing:

thecoder0:

Shrek:

I didn’t know they had telly in Ponty!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Having read the definition of vehicles in cat C and CE properly I notice that it is as follows

Large vehicles with or without trailers
Description Category Minimum age

Vehicles over 3500kg with a trailer up to 750kg
C
21*

Vehicles over 3500kg with a trailer over 750kg
C+E
21*

:blush:

The 107 restriction should be taken of your licence when you pass your C+E

This must be a mistake by DVLA

Best check it with DVLA

burnie1:

Best check it with DVLA

Hi burnie1 how is it a mistake??
Having seen how many of us old hands have posted that we have the 107 restriction, do you think DVLA has made the same “mistake” with all of our licences??

MrFlibble:
I think that the reason it stays on is that your C and C+E entitlements are only valid until your 45th birthday, but your C1 and C1+E entitlements are valid until your 70th birthday. Your C1 and C1+E entitlements are grandfather rights, so they don’t take them away from you (since you had an entitlement to drive C1 and C1+E until your 70th birthday before you took the LGV test), and therefore, if you choose not to have a medical at your 45th birthday and let your C and C+E entitlements expire, you’ll retain your C1 and C1+E until 70.

Therefore, if they lose the 107 now, you will have gained a post-45th-birthday entitlement that you shouldn’t have.

I think this is the correct answer as it makes logical sense.

burnie1:

Best check it with DVLA

I doubt it. I also still have the 107 restriction desipite having a full C+E.

As I said, it’s down to the categories having different expiry dates, and grandfather rights meaning that they can’t (shouldn’t) take away entitlements that you’ve already got.

Your full C+E entitlement overrides the 107 restriction on C1+E until your C+E expires, at which point, you drop down from full C+E to C1+E(107)

I initially thought it a mistake hence the thread, however Mr F’s reasoning is sound.

I had wrongly assumed that cat C1 was 3500-7500kg vehicles and that cat C was for 7500kg + when cat C actually states 3500Kg +

Therefore the CE overrides the C1E.

Daft though really having overlapping categories.