Licence lapsed

I allowed my class 1 hgv licence to lapse about 10 years ago. Despite all the doom and gloom i read on here i would rather like to have the occasional drive. Anyone know what i would have to do to get my licence back ?. Would i need to start from scratch ?.

Ex Haulier:
I allowed my class 1 hgv licence to lapse about 10 years ago. Despite all the doom and gloom i read on here i would rather like to have the occasional drive. Anyone know what i would have to do to get my licence back ?. Would i need to start from scratch ?.

You can let your HGV license lapse for 10 years before losing it, so as long as long as it’s not over 10 years since it expired you should be OK to renew it.

I’d phone DVLA on 08702400009.
You will need forms D2 and D4. Don’t think there’a time limit but i’d ask before wasting any money.

I thought the legal wording was “have held or are not disqualified from holding a licence”

Maybe I am mistaken and that was pre 1984 before big brother took over

However on the Direct gov Web I found this, I think a call to DVLA with your licence number is advisable.

If you decide to return to driving after voluntary surrender
If in the future, following surrender, you apply for the restoration of your driving licence, medical enquiries will need to be made. However, whilst these enquiries are being carried out the law provides cover to drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, 1988. This means that as soon as your application is received at DVLA (following voluntary surrender) you may resume driving provided you meet the following criteria:

a valid application is held at the DVLA

you have not or would not be refused or revoked a licence for medical reasons and you are able to meet the medical standards of fitness to drive. These standards are set down in “At a glance guide to the current standards of fitness to drive”. All medical practitioners have access to this publication, therefore if you are in any doubt about your ability to meet these standards, you should check with you doctor before you resume driving
you must have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued since 1 January 1976 or another exchangeable licence
you keep to any special conditions which may apply to you, and to your licence
you are not disqualified from driving

Obviously if you are over 45 then you will need a new medical

There is no time limit.

The only way the licence expires is when you do not have your medical at 45 and 5 year intervalls.

However you never lose the entitlement you just have to do another medical and send of for the license.

Currently the DVLA will re issue your licence as there is no time limit at the moment.

But you can not drive untill the license is Re-Issued

This may change in the future with all this Driver CPC stuff comes online.

The only way the licence expires is when you do not have your medical at 45 and 5 year intervalls.

I had let mine expire when I was 45 and I just had to get a medical to get it renewed by then I was 46.

As there is no time limit you can leave it 30 years if you like or more just get a medical…

Thats good, i had visions of having to take another test etc. How thourgh is the medical ?. Do you have to have your own GP do it or can you get it done anywhere ?

It doesn’t need to be done by your own GP, who will probably charge a fortune. Have a look at the useful links section on this website, there’s a thread about cheap medicals.

Ex Haulier:
Thats good, i had visions of having to take another test etc. How thourgh is the medical ?. Do you have to have your own GP do it or can you get it done anywhere ?

Any EU doc can do it.

As long as you aren’t about to drop dead (or fall asleep) at the wheel!

If you can see where you’re going, don’t have a dicky ticker and have a sound brain (no epilepsy or CJD) you should be okay.

For the full medical guide for Class 2 vocational licences is HERE

Well thank you all for your help. It all seems to be very simple. Just spoke to DVLA there sending me forms D2 and D4. There’s a quack that’s convenient via that link, i’ll get it back. Now, about these digital tacho cards, what’s the score there then ?

Ex Haulier:
Now, about these digital tacho cards, what’s the score there then ?

More money out of your pocket payable to the DVLA. Tax deductable though. Have a “search” can’t keep spoon feeding :wink:

shop around for the medical as they do vary greatly on price, ie £40-£140…
I think that all Drs can do one, only takes 5 mins

Before booking a medical see Kate’s Cheap Medicals - Nationwide thread and you may save yourself some money.

limeyphil:

01792 771462
www.saynoto0870.com

Thank you peirre, well spotted. If anyone missed that:

peirre:

limeyphil:

01792 771462
www.saynoto0870.com

Took my medical yesterday, clean sheet. Not bad considering the life i’ve lived. It’s all in the post, should be back in a couple of weeks. Question now, is there anyone in the south west who might need a 50 year old, know it all ex haulier to do a couple of days driving a month ?.

Ex Haulier:
Took my medical yesterday, clean sheet.

good for you -
You’ll be doing the London marathon next :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t hold you breath !!!

:smiley:

go to drivermedicals.com they give a list in your area for cheap medicals, my dr just stung me for £103 , not bad cash for half hour … :laughing: