licence entitlement

Same old question always asked, can a class “c” driver drive a unit?

Alistair

Yep, they can. ( use the search function for basic Billy questions - it`s all out there!)

A unit without a trailer is a rigid

Driver-Once-More:
A unit without a trailer is a rigid

The same as a trailer without a unit is just a trailer . The E on the licence stands for trailer

I don’t want to confuse the issue, but my trainer back in the day told me because it was capable, had a fith wheel, vosa/police would still treat it as a full c+e, like if you go through a weight limit with an empty trailer, you know you’re no where near the limit, but because you can be it doesn’t matter, still not allowed.

Of course, this could all be drivers room experts chiming in with stuff like vosa fine you £100 for each turn of the landing gear thats left unwound…

nurglets:
I don’t want to confuse the issue, but my trainer back in the day told me because it was capable, had a fith wheel, vosa/police would still treat it as a full c+e, like if you go through a weight limit with an empty trailer, you know you’re no where near the limit, but because you can be it doesn’t matter, still not allowed.

Of course, this could all be drivers room experts chiming in with stuff like vosa fine you £100 for each turn of the landing gear thats left unwound…

Yes he was right , back in the day . If you were driving a tractor unit the 5th wheel had to be locked off. It changed when they re categorised everything I think

alistairkelly66:

If it doesn’t have a trailer exceeding 750 kg it’s a cat C vehicle, so yes a unit can be driven on a cat C licence.

This one has been done to death ,but a new twist is you cant take a C test in a unit even with a Jak-a-box on top of it.

alistairkelly66:

Alistair

Yes

The reason this keeps coming up is because under the old HGV rules any driver who drove any artic unit needed to have the old HGV class 1