Licence confusion

I used to drive six-wheelers in the seventies (Class II licence) but, as I left driving to do other work, I allowed the licence to lapse.
I’m now thinking of seeking LGV driving work but, from the published information, I’m uncertain of which licence to apply for (or, indeed, whether I am still eligible).
If I am eligible, I realise that I’ll need a medical, btw.
Can anyone clarify for me?
Thanks,
Peter

What year did your old HGV licence lapse ?

I ask because DVLA did not go to computerised records till 1984 so for those not on the system could find it very difficult to regain what they had

You need to apply for a C licence

ROG:

I ask because DVLA did not go to computerised records till 1984 so for those not on the system could find it very difficult to regain what they had

I think my licence will have lapsed around 1980 or so. At the time, the HGV licence wasn’t administered by the DVLA (in my case it was by the North West Traffic Area Office, if I have the name right).

allegoricus:

ROG:

I think my licence will have lapsed around 1980 or so. At the time, the HGV licence wasn’t administered by the DVLA (in my case it was by the North West Traffic Area Office, if I have the name right).

Oh dear !!

All I can suggest is that you contact DVLA to see if they have a HGV record for you before you proceed any further

If they do not then you will have to do the lot from scratch - but not the initial driver cpc modules 2 and 4 because you are already in the dcpc periodic system as you have a LGV C1 - the dcpc grandfather rights for you expire on 09/09/2014 and to drive LGVs commercially after that date mean you will need to complete 35 hours of dcpc

ROG:

allegoricus:

ROG:

Oh dear !!

All I can suggest is that you contact DVLA to see if they have a HGV record for you before you proceed any further

If they do not then you will have to do the lot from scratch - but not the initial driver cpc modules 2 and 4 because you are already in the dcpc periodic system as you have a LGV C1 - the dcpc grandfather rights for you expire on 09/09/2014 and to drive LGVs commercially after that date mean you will need to complete 35 hours of dcpc

Thanks, I’ll get cracking. :slight_smile:

You can do the 35 hours now if you want to as it covers LGV and you have LGV C1

Remember that cannot commercially drive the C1 after 09/09/2014 without the dcpc 35 hours completed