Liability Insurance

Hi guys, just after some advice. I’ve just gone Self Employed as a Sole Trader agency driver, driving vans, C1’s and PSV’s until I obtain my C and C+E Classes. I’m working for 5 or 6 agencies at the moment, but one agency I rang yesterday said because I’m working for myself and therefore, not directly employed by one employer, I need my own Liability Insurance in the company name to cover myself…Does anyone know if this is the case please?? If so, can anyone recommend a suitable company to get a quote please guys??

Cheers all.

ADR Network told me this last year as well.

But they said I have 30 days to get cover.

Still waiting for my first shift with them.

Now i was once a Ltd company doing agency work and asked this very question and was told you don’t need it as agency and company you are driving for will have enough insurance so you might need to delve deeper.

Well I’m sure you’ll hear something from them soon Dar :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was told that too bald bloke and was under the impression that the company that I’d be driving for would have sufficient insurance cover, providing I hold the correct licence entitlement for the vehicle I’d be driving etc…

The thing that’s making it a little awkward is that due to lower earnings and only working by/for myself, I can only set up as a Sole Trader as opposed to a Ltd company…One agency I rang Monday can’t deal with Sole Traders and told me I would need Liability Insurance. The companies I rang in order to obtain a quote were unable to provide cover or even a quote, because as I would be driving other peoples vehicles, in their words ‘‘You don’t have anything to insure’’ …■■?

I only set up as Self Employed because in my eyes, if I was working for several agencies, if I was in control of everything (P45, Tax, NI, tacho’s, digi-card downloads etc., etc…) it should make things far simpler…Not turning out to be the case at the moment though…

zzyzxroad:
The thing that’s making it a little awkward is that due to lower earnings and only working by/for myself, I can only set up as a Sole Trader as opposed to a Ltd company…

That must be new then i used to be set up on my own as a LTD company and never had any problems.

zzyzxroad:
Well I’m sure you’ll hear something from them soon Dar :slight_smile:

Yeah, I was told that too bald bloke and was under the impression that the company that I’d be driving for would have sufficient insurance cover, providing I hold the correct licence entitlement for the vehicle I’d be driving etc…

The thing that’s making it a little awkward is that due to lower earnings and only working by/for myself, I can only set up as a Sole Trader as opposed to a Ltd company…One agency I rang Monday can’t deal with Sole Traders and told me I would need Liability Insurance. The companies I rang in order to obtain a quote were unable to provide cover or even a quote, because as I would be driving other peoples vehicles, in their words ‘‘You don’t have anything to insure’’ …■■?

I only set up as Self Employed because in my eyes, if I was working for several agencies, if I was in control of everything (P45, Tax, NI, tacho’s, digi-card downloads etc., etc…) it should make things far simpler…Not turning out to be the case at the moment though…

You don’t need it. It’s one of the big driver/agency urban myths and has been doing the rounds for years. If you’re s/e you’re covered on your client’s insurance. You should already have this detail in your contract to them anyway otherwise you’ll potentially find yourself in hot water if you have an accident.

Cheers Rob, I was pretty sure that I didn’t need it, it was just this one agency that I rang that said I did that got me thinking…Thanks again mate :slight_smile:

If you can catch Conor in a good mood and speak to him nicely he may send you a copy of basic s/e T&C forms which are what you need to get your clients to sign before agreeing to do any work for them if you want to stand any chance of getting paid.