LHD Ford Transcontinentals

Tubbysboy:

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

robthedog:
Looks like one of them dodgy backstreet Moroccan delivery/collections

My first thoughts too! But then I noticed it was a tilt. Mmm… In those days a tilt was still just possible in Morocco ,but only reinforced box trailers were feasable after that period.

Forgive my ignorance, but did North Africa become a more lawless place, for some reason?

Anorak,

Think it was because of the clandestine/ immigrant whatever the correct word is these days.

Correct. Until about the mid-'90s Morocco was a comparatively gentle place to drive lorries to but as Tubbysboy rightly suggests, the cacky hit the fan when they all wanted to escape to Spain. It was gradual but incremental. When I started doing North Africa in 1998 it was already becoming scary. By the time I did my final run down there in 2005 it was becoming untenable. I took a break out of it in 2001/2 to do Middle East, which ironically was relatively trouble-free. Again, it is ironic that in the '80s Morocco was easy whilst the Middle East was cowboy country for drivers. By 2002 that position had completely switched places. For more detail, go to the North Africa Work thread.

ERF-NGC-European:
This one looks as if it might be new and still at the dealers. Robert

there was 5 units that were from Fords on that show…they all have ■■■■■■■■ 305 engine in them…they were sold off after the run and I really wanted to buy one…but they had issues with electrics I think which put me off…we were doing this job via Edwin Shirley Trucking and it lasted 6 months the run…

F

Eyetie

One for RO Whom I’m sure would like this drivetrain

robthedog:

Yep! That’d do me! :sunglasses:

robthedog:

Same spec as the one my father bought.lovely motor.

Some cracking pics on here (mix of LHD & RHD):

youtube.com/watch?v=tk2TFQCM_J0

626529166_small.jpg

robthedog:

Nice example. Quite a late one too. That’s probably an added lift axle at the back - very common in early to mid '80s.

72ba33eb2540799f647a5648a76b11d9.jpg

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gijKl05wcM

F

Not so easy to drive in rear with a trailer on a ferry ! French one.

michel:
Not so easy to drive in rear with a trailer on a ferry ! French one.

Even with an artic or a centre-axles drawbar it could be tricky, especially at night if it was an older ferry with a steep ramp, driving sleet, floodlighting drowning out your rear-view mirrors and an indifferent banksman guiding you within millimetres of all those precious lorry mirrors half folded in! :unamused:

The office