LHD Bollekens cabbed Mk V AECs

Nice input! The trailer looks to me as a LAG

Not a Bollekens but interesting Swiss cab,perhaps Fress+ Hoch.

michel:
Not a Bollekens but interesting Swiss cab,perhaps Fress+ Hoch.

[/quote]
Interesting! Never seen that cab before. It looks as if it has right-hand-drive: did the Swiss find that useful on the mountain roads, like the Italians did (with their RHD lorries in those days)? Robert

These two pics show one in a scrap yard and are courtesy of Ekawrecker’s Photostream. Robert

Exhibition in Genova 1964, import from society Frey.

michel:

RHD for those mountain precipices, no doubt! Robert

Evening all,

Robert, H Emile Frey were the long time importer of Austin, and then BMC vehicles into Suisse. I remember being told that they had marketed AEC, but there had been some difficulty of supply between Belgium, and the UK, probably as a result of the “difficulties” between AECs Export operation, and that of their “partner/parent” Leyland.

But the fact that I do remember, a good few years after the AECs, was that my colleagues at Nubag AG, in Suisse, prompted by my questioning regarding the number of B Serie ERFs that we kept seeing, telling me that they originated from H Emile Frey`s Garage.

Maybe someone more qualified on the history of ERF,…and its distinctly “dyslexic” marketing strategy for Europe, could perhaps give more details?

Certainly, the product was acceptable, and I was told that the market would have taken more, but that ERF simply would not supply the E290 ■■■■■■■ engine vehicles.

Food for thought…

Cheerio for now.

robert1952:

michel:

RHD for those mountain precipices, no doubt! Robert

I certainly remember seeing quite a lot of RHD Italian trucks in the seventies Robert, and being told that they preferred them for your reason quoted - they could see how near to the edge they were!

John.

Saviem:
Evening all,

Robert, H Emile Frey were the long time importer of Austin, and then BMC vehicles into Suisse. I remember being told that they had marketed AEC, but there had been some difficulty of supply between Belgium, and the UK, probably as a result of the “difficulties” between AECs Export operation, and that of their “partner/parent” Leyland.

But the fact that I do remember, a good few years after the AECs, was that my colleagues at Nubag AG, in Suisse, prompted by my questioning regarding the number of B Serie ERFs that we kept seeing, telling me that they originated from H Emile Frey`s Garage.

Maybe someone more qualified on the history of ERF,…and its distinctly “dyslexic” marketing strategy for Europe, could perhaps give more details?

Certainly, the product was acceptable, and I was told that the market would have taken more, but that ERF simply would not supply the E290 ■■■■■■■ engine vehicles.

Food for thought…

Cheerio for now.

It IS food for thought! Not least because it was the E290 that went into the European-spec LHD B-series ERFs. Robert

Not a Bollekens cab, but does anyone know what gearbox went in this LHD European-spec AEC V8? Robert

gingerfold:
Yes Robert, I agree, a fine looking lorry, and a cab that I’ve always admired. These Bollekens cabbed Mandators were based on the export AEC Mk.V specification of 2AV690 engine rated at 192 bhp and 6-speed O/D gearbox driven through a double reduction rear axle with standard ratio of 6.25:1, (Optional axle ratios were available). The export versions had a longer wheelbase than home market models, which no doubt, gave better riding characteristics. There was also a Super Mandator produced with a Timken rear axle.

Remind me: would that have been a constant-mesh 'box, Graham? I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that the AEC 6-speed 'box was a dream to use (finding it is an impossible nightmare because the SEARCH facility on TNUK is useless). Robert

robert1952:

gingerfold:
Yes Robert, I agree, a fine looking lorry, and a cab that I’ve always admired. These Bollekens cabbed Mandators were based on the export AEC Mk.V specification of 2AV690 engine rated at 192 bhp and 6-speed O/D gearbox driven through a double reduction rear axle with standard ratio of 6.25:1, (Optional axle ratios were available). The export versions had a longer wheelbase than home market models, which no doubt, gave better riding characteristics. There was also a Super Mandator produced with a Timken rear axle.

Remind me: would that have been a constant-mesh 'box, Graham? I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that the AEC 6-speed 'box was a dream to use (finding it is an impossible nightmare because the SEARCH facility on TNUK is useless). Robert

Right! I’ve Googled it instead, which took me straight to the AEC Mercury thread on TNUK that the ‘search’ facility should have done. Never mind. It turned out that I’ve asked the same question before, and that ‘Gingerfold’ provided the answer (to which others concurred) as follows:

gingerfold:
The 6-speed constant mesh gearbox was a dream to use if the selectors and the linkage from the gear stick were set up correctly. It was a very small adjustment that was required but it made a world of difference.

Bingo! Thank you. Robert :smiley:

11954756_1483943721925303_3277149842742142050_n.jpg

robert1952:
Not a Bollekens cab, but does anyone know what gearbox went in this LHD European-spec AEC V8? Robert

It will be in my Mandator V8 book. I was able to list all chassis numbers and gearbox versions fitted, and where recorded on the build sheets registration numbers.

Swiss,

robert1952:

robert1952:

gingerfold:

Right! I’ve Googled it instead, which took me straight to the AEC Mercury thread on TNUK that the ‘search’ facility should have done. Never mind. It turned out that I’ve asked the same question before, and that ‘Gingerfold’ provided the answer (to which others concurred) as follows:

gingerfold:
The 6-speed constant mesh gearbox was a dream to use if the selectors and the linkage from the gear stick were set up correctly. It was a very small adjustment that was required but it made a world of difference.

I can confirm the “dream” status of the AEC six-speeder! At the time I thought it was the only box that bettered the 6-speed Albion that was used in Leylands & Albions. That was, of course, in my youth, before I had discovered the products of Eaton/Fuller! The AEC gearbox had, if memory serves, been “pinched” from Thorneycroft when they were taken over.

Retired Old ■■■■:

robert1952:

robert1952:

gingerfold:

gingerfold:

I can confirm the “dream” status of the AEC six-speeder! At the time I thought it was the only box that bettered the 6-speed Albion that was used in Leylands & Albions. That was, of course, in my youth, before I had discovered the products of Eaton/Fuller! The AEC gearbox had, if memory serves, been “pinched” from Thorneycroft when they were taken over.

Interesting observation, ROF. Even mentioning it in the context of Eaton/Fuller gives it some reassuring credibility! Robert

Indeed, Robert. I loved it!

Quite correct ROF, the AEC gearboxes post-1962 were of A Thornycroft design and continued to be made at Basingstoke until later rationalisation by British Leyland. Similarly AEC rear axles were “pinched” from Maudslay when ACV was formed in the early 1950s. AEC / Maudslay axles were built at Maudslay’s Alcester plant until it was sold off to Rockwell, so it can be said that Rockwell “pinched” the Maudslay / AEC rear axle that served so well in ERFand other makes.