LGV Training/Test Preparation

Thinking about having some driving lessons (car) working towards the IAM Advanced Test (or at least head in that direction) just wondering if this would be good preparation for the training/test (make it easier :smiley:) or whether spending the money on an extra day LGV would be better.

It’s pretty clear from what I’ve been reading on here that people do fail for minor mistakes so maybe this would be a way of trying to eliminate the possibility as much as can be done. Maybe nerves is a major cause. Especially as the examiners are probably familiar with “the system” and may see you using it and go a bit easier on you :wink:

I know it was once said that the examiners liked to see double de-clutching even though not much use for it nowadays. Not sure whether they would judge you different if they can see you are taking steps to improve your driving skills.

Any thoughts?

As I am a current advanced driving observer (IAM car + LGV) and have been a LGV instructor then I can tell you that both are very close to each other in terms of observation and planning

LGV drivers who do the advanced find it easy and the same is vice versa

Easier to do advanced in your own car then transfer those skills to the LGV

The advanced makes you consider more safe options in your general driving no matter what is being driven

Other pre LGV tips are in the link below in my signature

Thanks ROG. So would it be a mistake to get advanced pass in car and then arrange assessment for advanced in LGV. How much additional training would be needed? Is it likely to prove very expensive to prepare for even if you demonstrated you can pass in a car?

JS8576:
Thanks ROG. So would it be a mistake to get advanced pass in car and then arrange assessment for advanced in LGV. How much additional training would be needed? Is it likely to prove very expensive to prepare for even if you demonstrated you can pass in a car?

I believe paying for IAM training is wasting your money personally do you feel your drivings that bad that you need to do that first? lol only joking my advice is have an assessment drive with a few companies research in to them look at reviews there vehicles they use and price ect and make a decision who to go with based on that. I don’t feel anything will prepare you for doing your class 2 apart from actually driving a lorry that’s my honest opinion.

Take a free assessment with IAM and with a LGV school that offers same then decide

Forget double de clutching. Not recommended with new trucks.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: