LGV Training Providers - Peterborough

Hello all,

Making my first post to the forum, hope everyone is well.

I’m looking to take the category C training and test early in the new year, and at some point in the not too distant future C+E providing C goes to plan, and have been researching potential training providers for in the Peterborough area where I live.

I’ve looked at the usual stuff online (costs, testimonials, reviews) but wondered if anybody has any experience of having trained with or knowledge of the companies listed below:

Apex Training Services
South Holland Training
C-Way Driver Training
1st Approach Transport Services

Any feedback regarding the above would be appreciated, as would any recommendations of other companies in or around the Peterborough area.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Welcome Dave :slight_smile:

I had a cat c assessment at apex a couple of month’s ago. Was an old manual daf with over 500k on the clock. Decent guy who took me out but when back even he struggled to get the truck in reverse to try that so kind of knocked me a bit.

I met Chris who runs South Holland training whilst there and he seems a reasonable guy. He did say he does 6 days rather than 4 to give a better chance. I assume that will be in the price as well though.

In the end I have booked with Peter Smyth in January. Bit of a journey but I get the b and b and thinking it worth traveling and (hopefully) passing first time rather than just whats nearest.

I would suggest a couple of assessment drives with different places as it is a small cost in the scheme of things.

Best of luck who ever you pick :slight_smile:

Check out the link in my signature below

I’m from Peterborough also but after seeing the trucks used around peterborough by various companies i opted to use Peter Smythe Training in Sutton in Ashfield. I would 100% recommend them for a few reasons.

The training was second to none, My instructor was Chris, very nice and supportive guy.
The Trucks are a lot newer and well maintained, this in my opinion was more ‘real world’ in the sense that companies are more likely to have newer trucks on fleet.
and one of the main reasons was the free accommodation Pete puts on, I used this service because i wanted to solely concentrate on my training without the distraction of everyday life.

I passed first time with 3 minors.

plus the 10% discount was a bonus.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the recommendations. Yes, the trucks are kept up to date. The oldest CAT C is coming up for 5 years old and that is going in 2017 together with another as we take delivery of 2 more new ones to keep up to date.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Dave,

I had an assessment with Chris at Peter Smythe training and was very happy with Chris but the Peterborough branch closed and due to child/family commitments I needed to stay local so I went with 1st Approach and was very happy with Garry. I would definitely recommend him. He is patient and professional, a real gent and put me at ease, the truck was spotlessly clean inside and out, (eat your dinner off it clean) he worked around my work commitments so that I could do half of the training over the weekend. I passed first time :smiley: You have a choice of manual (slap over) or auto. I chose auto for my training but then had a further 2 hours after I passed with Chris at South Holland in his 4 over 4 manual and he was brilliant too.

Even though my tipper is auto I’m glad I did the extra manual training. I was worried that I’d never get to grips with a manual box but Chris put me at ease and within 10 minutes the gear changes were flowing, so I’d recommend him too.

Good luck :smiley:

Always a good idea to actually visit the trainers you have in mind. Make sure they have a proper reversing area. Have a look at the state of the trucks and the premises generally.

Not all training is the same and cheapest is rarely best.

Having said that, have a look at the Christmas Offer in my Sponsor Thread.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: