LGV training in South Wales

Short time lurker here saying hello all the way from Swansea.

I’m currently working in a builders merchant but after the misses randomly brought it up in conversation I started to look into LGV driving. Months of research later and I’m now looking to take the plunge and go for my class 2, followed by class 1. That’s if I’m not a total ■■■■■■ behind the wheel!

Has anyone got any experiences of LGV training providers in South Wales? There’s a couple I’ve seen, COT Solutions (Swansea) and Big Wheelers (Cardiff) which seem to be the two big local ones.

However looking on the DSA accredited list there’s not a single one in Wales or anywhere remotely near. I’d have a choice of either London or Mansfield and from what I’ve read on hear Peter Smythe TT looks like the way to go.

Is the standard of tuition really that different between accredited and non/accredited and would it be worth the extra distance twice to go accredited?

All advice and ■■■■ taking warmly received!

As you have already looked at the accredited sites & seen there are but a few you have also seen your local ones

Have you been to visit them yet & spoke with the trainers etc :question: than might be the next step you could also phone PST & ask them questions ( yep I have done in the past & spoke to Peter himself yes he was very helpful thanks no I did not train with him ) I did however go down to Chelmsford ( John at Flair ) for my Cat CE I did do my C local to me tbh I found it easier & better for me to train out of area as I had no distractions form anyone had to concentrate more be more aware as I was unfamiliar with the roads but did learn them quick ( have since been near the area this was early morning nearly rush hour but as knew the roads didn’t matter )

Depends on what you want if I was to do it all again I would go out of area to do it this was a better way for me but 1st have a look go & speak with local even have an assessment with them then go to PST before making a decision

animal:
As you have already looked at the accredited sites & seen there are but a few you have also seen your local ones

Have you been to visit them yet & spoke with the trainers etc :question: than might be the next step you could also phone PST & ask them questions ( yep I have done in the past & spoke to Peter himself yes he was very helpful thanks no I did not train with him ) I did however go down to Chelmsford ( John at Flair ) for my Cat CE I did do my C local to me tbh I found it easier & better for me to train out of area as I had no distractions form anyone had to concentrate more be more aware as I was unfamiliar with the roads but did learn them quick ( have since been near the area this was early morning nearly rush hour but as knew the roads didn’t matter )

Depends on what you want if I was to do it all again I would go out of area to do it this was a better way for me but 1st have a look go & speak with local even have an assessment with them then go to PST before making a decision

I haven’t been to speak to them yet, it was on the to do list. I understand that having an assessment would be the best way to go as you can get a feel for the trucks and trainers before parting with the rather large sum of hard earned!

I think a lot depends on what I feel after I speak to them.

You been in the industry long?

check out the link in my signature below

ROG:
check out the link in my signature below

I’ve already discovered your wealth of information Rog! It’s been my light evening reading for a few weeks now. Many thanks.

I started driving about 20 years ago this was on small van then sprinter size then 7.5t then C then CE so the old way & slow way

animal:
I started driving about 20 years ago this was on small van then sprinter size then 7.5t then C then CE so the old way & slow way

Slow but gaining a lot of experience I bet! Thanks for all your help mate. Appreciate it!

SnoozyPanda:

animal:

Slow but gaining a lot of experience I bet! Thanks for all your help mate. Appreciate it!

Yes & getting to know the road network the old way of maps long before the day of sat nav etc

animal:

SnoozyPanda:

animal:

Yes & getting to know the road network the old way of maps long before the day of sat nav etc

I bet it’s a totally different job now!

Double posted.

Yep defo but you have to move with the times but it is not alway better

I still carry a map as well as a sat nav

Have a look at Cross Hands training, at Cross hands, not thatfar from you.

animal:

Where do you stand on the Tom Tom vs Garmin war? And what are the pros and cons between sat nav and maps?

skorpio:
Have a look at Cross Hands training, at Cross hands, not thatfar from you.

Thanks mate I’ll have a look. Did you go do yours there?

SnoozyPanda:

animal:

Where do you stand on the Tom Tom vs Garmin war? And what are the pros and cons between sat nav and maps?

Sat nav = electronic map

Have used both a Tom Tom & Garmin ( both car)as refuse to pay to have bridge hight on as I can read the road & can see if there is a low bridge marked or unsuitable for HGV weight limits etc

Both of them have advantages & disadvantages tbh it is really down to you the individual I prefer the Garmin just me

I like to have a map so can check the route before moving off then also look to see if there are low bridges or the best route for me