Lgv training in central scotland

Hi
looking for any recommendations for training in scotland .Passed my theory today and want to crack on ASAP. Also a bit confused as to cpc training .There seems a lot of courses,do I need to do them all or how many? Had a driving licence for over 20 yrs if that helps!

Thanks

Where are you in scotland ?

Fife

I did mine with gtg training in Glasgow but they have a depot in sighthill in Edinburgh they were good … Good vehicles … I’m not sure of anymore through there there’s a few in Glasgow and Kilmarnock but bit far to travel … :smiley:

Cheers will check them out

jala:
Hi
looking for any recommendations for training in scotland .Passed my theory today and want to crack on ASAP. Also a bit confused as to cpc training .There seems a lot of courses,do I need to do them all or how many? Had a driving licence for over 20 yrs if that helps!

Thanks

You have your normal HGV Theory which you say you’ve passed, then you have your HGV Practical. You also have your CPC Theory (usually taken in the same place as the HGV Theory but isn’t as long) and a CPC Practical which is a 30 minute walk around a lorry with an examiner talking about the safety aspects etc. So really it’s 4 tests from start to finish.

Thanks

nurburg340:
So really it’s 4 tests from start to finish.

Five if you count mod 1 as being
1a theory
1b HPT

jala:
Had a driving licence for over 20 yrs if that helps!

nurburg340:
You also have your CPC Theory (usually taken in the same place as the HGV Theory but isn’t as long) and a CPC Practical which is a 30 minute walk around a lorry with an examiner talking about the safety aspects etc. So really it’s 4 tests from start to finish.

From what you originally said you must have passed the car test before 01/01/1997. That means you will already have a Cat C1 (7.5t) entitlement and would need to do the 35 hours periodic CPC and not the initial CPC module 2 & 4

Some trainers have approval for on road Periodic CPC training so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thanks but don’t want to sound thick but what’s the last bit mean?

LGVTrainer:
Some trainers have approval for on road Periodic CPC training so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

jala:
Thanks but don’t want to sound thick but what’s the last bit mean?

It means that some training schools have their on-road LGV training courses approved for driver CPC hours

That means those in the DCPC periodic system can get DCPC hours for doing their C and C+E courses by paying a little more to cover the DCPC bit

Test day is not usually covered for DCPC hours as the DCPC does not include tests

A 7 hour DCPC course can be split in 2 X 3.5 hours

This is how is usually works over a basic 5 day course
1 to 1 half days = 14 hours DCPC
2 to 1 full days = 28 hours DCPC for each driver as both are learning even when not doing the driving

It is up to the trainee whether they can or do take up any available DCPC option