LGV TRAINING £1800 free tests till you pass?

Hi all :slight_smile:
I have just found a training school local to me that charges £1800+vat+initial test fee and if you fail they claim to put you through till you pass free of charge including test fees! so reading between the lines it seems a gamble if you strike it lucky first time as there are much cheaper alternatives if your confident of a first time pass, but if your a bit test-nervous like myself ,then it could relieve the pressure some what!

Anyone have an opinion on this?,ive asked all the questions just incase its Sterling-esq (retest booking fees ect)and it seems above board,pay your dough and hack away at it till you get a little picture of a lorry on your licence!:slight_smile:

BOOOOOY that sounds excessive, £1800 Plus VAT Plus the TEST Fee = £2220 you could do the CAT C 5 day course & the C+E 5 day course and come away with change in any good training school, of course thats if you pass both first time, but the tests are what, £105 each, so for a company charging a £1000 Inc VAT for each course which includes one Test you would still have the odd £220 to retest for both if you needed it and come away with change (£10). My personal opinion for what its worth is “Dont do it”

jmcg73,
PS~ where are you based as it does’nt say in your profile !

Regards
Rocketman

My point is,when i done it with StreRling,cant think what it cost off the top of my head but it was well over a grand +booking fees that they didnt tell me about in their so called gold package when you took your retests,
But going back to what you are saying then yes its bloody expensive…if you pass first time…but if it takes you ten attempts (exageration i know unless you cant even drive a car to begin with!) then its surely worth it when a basic cat C will cost as near as matters a grand and if they charge for the use of the truck and any additional training/retest fees, i bet it would’nt leave much change for a celebration drink out of £1400 and thats after only ONE retest! And as i found out to my cost all it takes is one little mistake and its game over! (if i ever see you on the road again you old bleeb your mine :smiling_imp: )

Sunny luton mate :sunglasses:

You can name the training company just in case any of us know of a ‘catch’ - it’s not against the rules :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi ROG,
Thought they frowned upon advertising/mentioning companies on here? Oh well as much as it matters its A1 lgv in biggleswade run by Jim Brady, He has MOD,DSA,P&O ASDA,Travis Perkins and Royal Navy accreditation on his website whether it matters or not?

jmcg73:
Hi ROG,
Thought they frowned upon advertising/mentioning companies on here?

Not in this type of context :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A1 lgv in biggleswade

I’ve not heard of them but maybe someone else has…

If this was for both C & CE, then it would be a good deal IMO but if just for C then I would consider it VERY carefully.

:bulb: :bulb: try asking other recent trainees on this site how much it cost them to pass C and then compare :bulb: :bulb:

jmcg73:
Hi ROG,
Thought they frowned upon advertising/mentioning companies on here? Oh well as much as it matters its A1 lgv in biggleswade run by Jim Brady, He has MOD,DSA,P&O ASDA,Travis Perkins and Royal Navy accreditation on his website whether it matters or not?

for this i think i might be that people have been there for resttlement before leaving the forces. but then again they may have had the contract for training our drivers before now. you never know, seems ok bu tthe price is well expensive, i did my c for £900 down here in the expensive south east and it was £900 for C+E as well.

just have a think about it mate before you commit

Sounds like a good deal if you think you might not pass first time. Each retest will put you back £300. If you fail 3 times that’s £900 already.

JeffA:
Sounds like a good deal if you think you might not pass first time. Each retest will put you back £300. If you fail 3 times that’s £900 already.

Or - it’s just about 2 one week courses with a test included :exclamation:

True - I’m afraid I’m one of those halfwits who failed 4 times tho so it would have paid me to just pay £1800! :slight_smile:

JeffA:
True - I’m afraid I’m one of those halfwits who failed 4 times tho so it would have paid me to just pay £1800! :slight_smile:

HALFWIT :exclamation: :exclamation: - I think maybe not - it may have been down to test nerves…

Isn’t hindsight great :question: :unamused:

If you had paid for retests and passed first time then that would be money down the drain.

I remember one guy who already had 1 weeks training and 2 tests with another company (a good one :slight_smile: ) before coming to me. He blamed every thing exept his own driving standard for failing.
It took another week of training and 3 more retests before he just about scraped a pass - I think it cost him between 3 to 4K in total :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Personally, I would not want to be in the same county if he was in a truck :exclamation:

thanks guys :smiley:
I think i might be in the halfwit league…ok maybe not ,just might get a bit tetchy come test time as i failed my last one one a really near 50/50 pass/fail situation, so being on edge before i turn a key is not going to help next time round as i don’t know what half these examiners want! so in my mad way of thinking,if you have unlimited amount of retests at your disposal it would lift a great amount of pressure off and if you fail you can have the pleasure of telling the examiner you will be hogging test spots from now till kingdom come!!! :smiling_imp:
Seriously though its not bad if your in the same category as Rog’s model student, but as i only failed by the skin of my teeth i will just take the regular route as knowing my luck i would pay the £1800+ and pass on the first attempt and would be left kicking myself as i would of been able to get the C+E with the change! :unamused:

If you go the Sure Pass Scheme your pocket will be lighter of £3600 + VAT for C & C+E, like others have said if you have trouble with nerves it might be worth it. Is there anything in the small print on what the consider as a fair number of tests before they say enough’s enough ?

They claim in their web page that they will retrain and put you through until you pass, i think they ofset the cost of putting through nervous wrecks with the more confident ones who get it first time or they are very confident in their tution, Ive emailed them regarding any clauses and i am waiting for a reply,
but if you have seen their ad it does seem quite to the point with no astricks to be seen on their Sure-Pass section…just says call for more details which i will do if only out of morbid interest if i don’'t recieve a reply…will let you know what happens :wink: [/u][/b]
About the cost,yeah its a hell of a lot of dough but i work for Walon (car transporters)and they have recently taken on people out of the offices/other departments to train up as ■■■■■■ drivers if they get the class 1 themselves and i don’t want to miss the boat plus i only take home £230p/w at the moment as a yardie…i could in time be getting that a day!!! so even at £3600+ its gotta to be worth it?? :laughing: