LGV/PCV cpc cards

I now have my shiny new DCPC card in my wallet. I have been thinking of going for my PCV licence for a while now and have the provisional. My question is, would I need to do the initial DCPC modules for the PCV or does my new card cover it? I searched this and got 3 million results matching CPC lol but couldn’t find one that answers this one. I passed my car test pre 1997 and C C+E 2003 if that matters.
Any help would be great.

Having done this myself 2 years ago I can tell you that you need to do all 4 dcpc initial qualifications for PCV to get that added to your card, although one of them is slightly different in that it’s specifically for existing holders of HGV dcpc ( I can’t be certain but I think it’s the “test cases”), so make sure you book the correct one.
After that any periodic training modules you do count for both.

I passed car test pre 97 and HGV around 97 so I should think the same rules apply to us both.

Cheers Dekka, I should have guessed it would be the most awkward/expensive route lol

BillyMac:
I have been thinking of going for my PCV licence… I passed my car test pre 1997

You have a choice - either do initial PCV mods 2 and 4 OR use the pre 97 D1 (101 code) as the GF rights for DCPC

As you already have a DQC then you would be silly to choose the first option

The D1 101 was allowed to be used a GF rights for PCV as of August last year

You say you have D provisional so you just need to pass these modules - no medical needed
1a theory
1b HPT
3 practical road drive/reverse

Once you pass PCV D you should get a new DQC expiry dated 09/09/2019 for both LGV & PCV

dekka:
Having done this myself 2 years ago I can tell you that you need to do all 4 dcpc initial qualifications for PCV to get that added to your card

Cannot blame you for giving outdated info as many are not aware of the change that occurred last August

When you pass your PCV make sure that if your existing cat C is for artics, that you get your PCV trailer entitlement added by Swansea. Send a covering letter with your pass certificate. Good luck.

cav551:
When you pass your PCV make sure that if your existing cat C is for artics, that you get your PCV trailer entitlement added by Swansea. Send a covering letter with your pass certificate. Good luck.

Passing D and already having CE should mean that DVLA automatically give you DE but for some reason they often miss out doing this

Rog, that seems like a common sense change to the rules as anyone doing it the other way round (PCV to HGV) would have GF rights from their CI. I remember working that out at the time and being annoyed that it didn’t work for me.

I passed the PCV driving test in November 2012 and my licence came back with D+E on it. You can also do the test in an automatic bus and get a manual licence.

The test itself is just the same as C but you have to stop at a bus stop or two, I failed the test on the bus stop exercise the first time, apart from that I had a clear sheet, so if your driving is otherwise up to standard watch out for that.

Many thanks Rog. You really know your stuff. Here is another one…my brother has a CE but no PCV provisional entitlement. If he were to apply for his PCV provisional, would he need a medical? He is under 45 and had his initial HGV medical in 2001. If anyone would know I bet you would Rog. Common sense would say if he is considered fit enough for an artic then he is for a bus…but we all know government depts and common sense dont always apply.
Edited for spelling.

BillyMac:
Many thanks Rog. You really know your stuff. Here is another one…my brother has a CE but no PCV provisional entitlement. If he were to apply for his PCV provisional, would he need a medical? He is under 45 and had his initial HGV medical in 2001. If anyone would know I bet you would Rog. Common sense would say if he is considered fit enough for an artic then he is for a bus…but we all know government depts and common sense dont always apply.
Edited for spelling.

He will need a new medical

now I bet he wishes he ticked both C and D on the D2 form back in 2001 = no extra cost to do that

Thanks again Rog. I just rang him to tell him. £50 for a medical now for him haha. 3 weeks after we spent £150 on the CPC week.

I just had a closer look at my new DCPC card and there is no mention of D1 category on the back? Would this be added on upon passing the full D test? Testing you now aren’t I Rog!

BillyMac:
I just had a closer look at my new DCPC card and there is no mention of D1 category on the back? Would this be added on upon passing the full D test? Testing you now aren’t I Rog!

Passing D gets D1 as a subcategory which is not often shown on a licence because it is covered by D however I think all PCV & LGV categories are shown on a DQC even if the driver does not actually have them - for instance, a driver who has LGV C1 will have all LGV categories from C1 to CE shown on a DQC because the DQC covers all LGV categories
What you can actually drive is shown on the driving licence

Driving licence shows what you are entitled to drive
DQC shows what categories are covered by it should you be entitled to drive them

ROG:

BillyMac:

Passing D gets D1 as a subcategory which is not often shown on a licence because it is covered by D however I think all PCV & LGV categories are shown on a DQC even if the driver does not actually have them - for instance, a driver who has LGV C1 will have all LGV categories from C1 to CE shown on a DQC because the DQC covers all LGV categories
What you can actually drive is shown on the driving licence

Driving licence shows what you are entitled to drive
DQC shows what categories are covered by it should you be entitled to drive them

My dqc has CE on it, nothing else.

Images of DQCs - google.co.uk/search?q=drive … 66&bih=767

Mine is like 1968kg’s card. Well mine has C1, C, C1E and CE. Nothing gets easier does it with government agencies, any change always makes things more complicated.

BillyMac:
Mine is like 1968kg’s card. Well mine has C1, C, C1E and CE. Nothing gets easier does it with government agencies, any change always makes things more complicated.

I have CE on the front and the other LGV categories on the back, but no D1.

1968kg:

BillyMac:

I have CE on the front and the other LGV categories on the back, but no D1.

Same here. C1,C, C1E, CE but no D1E even though I do have the entitlement on my licence (on the photocard anyway) and the paper part says I have provisional DE