LGV or HGV

Make your bloody mind up VOSA
Consultation on motorway speed limits for HGVs and PSVs

The Department for Transport is seeking your views on a proposal to change the maximum motorway speed limits for HGVs and PSVs.
The following changes are proposed:

HGVs under 7.5 tonnes — to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 60mph

PSVs under 12 metres — to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 65mph

PSVs over 12 metres — to increase the speed limit from 60mph to 65mph

I think there is already a thread on this somewhere

Simple solution - make new law of max speed 56 and then fit 56 limiters to all of the above along with the usual outer lane motorway restrictions

ROG:
I think there is already a thread on this somewhere

Simple solution - make new law of max speed 56 and then fit 56 limiters to all of the above along with the usual outer lane motorway restrictions

Was more on about the HGV/LGV terminology

and no the speed limit should remain at 60, with all eligible vehicles being limited to 56 (To allow sensible over run)
and buses at 65 to give them a better overtaking time.

Simple solution - 70mph on motorway for everything with wheels !!! (There, sorted).

It says ERF not RAF:
Simple solution - 70mph on motorway for everything with wheels !!! (There, sorted).

:smiley: Back to the good old days :smiley:
'Looks like we’re gonna have to go home empty from Avonmouth, We’ll just have a steady run back up.

renaultman:

In what way ?

ROG:

renaultman:

In what way ?

instead of

LGVs under 7.5 tonnes — to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 60mph

Think that’s what the op was getting at

I’m too disenfranchised with this government to bother with the basics of their dull stupidity at this level.

I wanna know why they give £46m per day to Europe to somehow benefit me.

The original poster is referring to the abbreviations used.That is , should goods vehicles be called LGV’s or HGV’s, and should an organisation decide on which abbreviation to be used,and then use only that abbreviation to avoid confusion ?

ROG:

renaultman:

In what way ?

Well for years now we have had LGV licences, issued by the DfT through one of their agencies, to allow us to drive LGVs yet here is that same organisation using the term HGV, which is no longer a legal term in the UK. LGV is the term now for trucks over 3.5 tonnes. There are two types of LGV, 3.5 - 12 tonnes and those over 12 tonnes, but they are all LGVs and the change is due to language as not all European languages have a word for heavy with the same meaning. It seems the DfT are considering altering the speed limits for a type of vehicle which doesn’t exist.

Coffeeholic:

ROG:

renaultman:

In what way ?

Well for years now we have had LGV licences, issued by the DfT through one of their agencies, to allow us to drive LGVs yet here is that same organisation using the term HGV, which is no longer a legal term in the UK. LGV is the term now for trucks over 3.5 tonnes. There are two types of LGV, 3.5 - 12 tonnes and those over 12 tonnes, but they are all LGVs and the change is due to language as not all European languages have a word for heavy with the same meaning. It seems the DfT are considering altering the speed limits for a type of vehicle which doesn’t exist.

Thank you

It`s got Lorry Driver on me marriage certificate :laughing:

Should i send it in get it changed to Truck Driver or HGV Driver Or LGV Driver :confused:

I would like to see the ‘Goods’ bit go, so that anyone driving a Large/Heavy vehicle should have to pass the appropriate test. Put paid to that boxer fella’ who drives around in a tractor unit as his personal transport.

A bus transports humans and so should be limited to 50 mph and trucks left at 60 with limiters at 56 .Good idea ROG but far to easy to impliment,it would never get off the ground no money in it

stevel:
I would like to see the ‘Goods’ bit go, so that anyone driving a Large/Heavy vehicle should have to pass the appropriate test. Put paid to that boxer fella’ who drives around in a tractor unit as his personal transport.

I think You will find that Chris Eubank actually has a Class C Licence.

stevel:

I don’t think it matters about goods or not, if it’s over a certain weight you need the approriate LGV or PSV licence to drive it.

renaultman:
Make your bloody mind up VOSA
Consultation on motorway speed limits for HGVs and PSVs

The Department for Transport is seeking your views on a proposal to change the maximum motorway speed limits for HGVs and PSVs.
The following changes are proposed:

PSVs under 12 metres — to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 65mph

PSVs over 12 metres — to increase the speed limit from 60mph to 65mph

they should also have used PCV not PSV :wink:

Coffeeholic:

but they are all LGVs and the change is due to language as not all European languages have a word for heavy with the same meaning.

This has just caught my curiosity :smiley:
Sorry but I have to ask - which are the European languages you are referring to? And why couldn’t it still be “heavy” in the UK anyway?