LGV Maps

Can anyone tell me where you can buy LGV Road Maps(Online or Shops) that show you all the Height and Weight restrictions etc?
Thanks in advance.

aa bridge height map nothing does weight limits either in paper or in digital

Unfortunately there are not a lot of products to suit this. The AA map shows low bridges on main roads, but the scale of the mapping is not great.

I don’t know what they are like but there is a limited range of truckers maps available here http://www.truckstar.co.uk/

Personally I bought myself a Philips Navigator and stuck stickers all over it, with heights, weights, easily accesible filling stations etc. The problem is that this information takes a long time to compile & doesn’t give you info on areas you haven’t been to. However having been doing this a while now, I have got a really useful map with tons of info in it.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0749 … e&n-266239

:wink:

A word of warning. If you get a map with low bridges don’t take it as gospel. There are plenty of bridges shown as 16’ 6" which are a lot lower. But having said that it is a good guide.

Low bridges just give me a headache :unamused:

well duck out of the way then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and if the bridge span is about at eye level it’s definitely too low! :laughing:

Bridge/ truck heights are a nightmare. I bought the truckers atlas too, then found out it was only A roads.
On a job recently, (agency) I complained to customer about lack of height notice in their trucks, got told it was 12’6", drove another identical truck for them and it had a notice saying it was 14’2" :open_mouth: Run took me to Paisley which has a load of low bridges in town centre, road works were blocking my path and a real country lane had to be used, came up to a bridge under motorway which was signed at 13’3", slowly eased up to it and got out for a look, amazed to see about 3’ feet clearance, what is this all about!
I understand road depts give bridges signs which are generous, but when you don’t get accurate truck signs it’s getting a bit rediculous.

it down to the driver to check the height of the load he/she is carrying that includes the trailer height if your unsure check the trailer height with a tapemeasure

I understand road depts give bridges signs which are generous, but when you don’t get accurate truck signs it’s getting a bit rediculous

Yes but if council gives a bridge sign and puts the sign six inches under the real height and the transport office put your truck height as 6 inches over then you have a foot gap.

Also those adjustable height signs you get in trucks, can you be sure the driver before you didnt fiddle with it while he was bored on his break?

alix776:
it down to the driver to check the height of the load he/she is carrying that includes the trailer height if your unsure check the trailer height with a tapemeasure

Wonder how many truckers carry a large tape measure?
I’m going to from now on :smiley:

Gordy:
Wonder how many truckers carry a large tape measure?

Judging from a discussion we had on bridge strikes on here recently not that many. I guess the bridge strike figures back that up as well and from the last discussion it seems that many drivers are happy to accept whatever the height indicator says without question.

I also remember someone posted on here once asking what was the best way to find out the height of a trailer and when someone replied with “measure it” the original poster gave him dogs abuse. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Oh yeah, I’ve always carried a tape measure and use it. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

When I did recovery work a few years back I not only carried a tape measure but also a pack of stick it’s.
It saved a few :blush: :blush: :blush: moments.

Due to the various heights which have to be adhered to when traverling by
train here in Germany,We have on the yard a system, which allows each driver to check the height of his vehicle, This is a measureing stick which gives a accurate read out so the height is known ,or as many have stated a stick marked off so that you can get the right answer when you check your vehicle,