LGV License Reinstatement

Good morning fellas and thanks for adding me, about 4 months ago my license was about to expire as I needed a medical, I am not currently driving for a living. I renewed my license without my vocational classes and wondered if it was just a matter of taking a medical and sending the form to DVLA. I have full CPC. TIA

picky255:
Good morning fellas and thanks for adding me, about 4 months ago my license was about to expire as I needed a medical, I am not currently driving for a living. I renewed my license without my vocational classes and wondered if it was just a matter of taking a medical and sending the form to DVLA. I have full CPC. TIA

D4 medical = job done :smiley:

As above but if it expired you’ll have to wait until you get your licence back, you’ll not be able to drive under Section 88.

Decided to renew my class 1 licence, had my medical and sent the forms back to Dvla by registered post beginning of Aug, still waiting on Dvla to process them, an absolute joke.
I sent a letter to the government Transport Dept asking when they are going to get the DVLA sorted out with this backlog, This was the reply I got today.

Dear Malcolm Carden.

HGV shortage

Thank you for your enquiry of 30 September to the Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP, at the
Department for Transport, regarding the Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) driver shortage and
HGV renewals.
While paper applications for driving licences are usually processed within three weeks, our
timescales have increased to between six and ten weeks. The Driver and Vehicle
Licencing Agency (DVLA) is prioritising applications for vocational driving licence, with staff
from other areas of the business being trained to process vocational applications. The
DVLA has published guidance here to give an indication of the dates of receipt for
applications currently being processed.
However, industrial action by the Public and Commercial Services Union has led to delays
for customers who choose to or have to make a paper application for a driving licence. The
DVLA has also been working with a significantly reduced number of staff on site to ensure
social distancing in line with Welsh Government requirements and is experiencing
significantly increased demand for its services. There will be further delays, if the DVLA
requires further medical information from NHS health care staff before it can make a
licensing decision.
I am sure you agree that it is right that the law requires those driving lorries, buses and
coaches are medically fit to do so. The medical lasts until you are 45 years of age and
then another is required every five years until you get to 65 years when it then becomes
yearly. The medical examination includes a vision assessment which must be completed
by a doctor, optician or optometrist. Some doctors will be able to complete both the vision
and medical assessment. The doctor carrying out the medical assessment must be
registered and licensed to practice by the General Medical Council (GMC).
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) does not charge for medical
examinations or set charges. Any fees paid to a doctor, optician or optometrist are set by
the medical professional or their practice. The licence renewal is associated with individual
drivers and not their employers, although it is a decision for employers to take if they wish
to contribute towards the cost of licence renewal.
The Government understands the challenges caused by the HGV driver shortage is
serious and is working with the road haulage industry to address these issues. We
Malcolm Carden
Email: cardenmalcolm2@gmail.com
Department for Transport
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London
SW1P 4DR
Tel: 0300 330 3000
Web Site: gov.uk/dft
Our Ref: TO/373632
Your Ref:
26 October 2021
continue to work with industry to help the economy recover from the impacts of the Covid19 pandemic.
If you are looking to return to the industry, train to be an HGV driver or are interested in
learning more about the actions the Government is taking to address the HGV driver
shortage, we are unable to respond individually to general enquiries of this kind, but
please follow the link below for comprehensive and up to date information:
gov.uk/government/topical-e … governmentresponse
We will continue to explore all avenues which will help the sector recover and the economy
thrive.
Yours sincerely,
Ruth Fagan

:imp: :imp: :imp:

malmaz:
… sent the forms back to Dvla by registered post beginning of Aug, still waiting on Dvla to process them

They will probably be dealing with it fairly soon as sent mine same time and they just cashed the cheque for the photo yesterday. Of course tgat doesn’t mean they will be sending it back anytime soon but its cloaer.

Finally got mine back yesterday - sent it off August 3rd - good thing is is that it’s dated from the 22nd October so I’ve got a full year.

Finally got my licence back, just under 4 months good service DVLA ( NOT )

Trevor, what do you mean cashed the cheque for the photo?, I thought the change for a new photo didn’t cost anything.?

Sapper