LGV licence suspended for using mobile phone

Just been reading the “Wheels” magazine from URTU and it has a a piece on page 11 about a LGV driver who was caught using his hand held mobile phone. got the £60 fine and 3 penalty points but got reported to the Traffic Commissioner. Apparently this is now done as standard. The Traffic Commissioner usually suspends the LGV licence for 2 weeks but this chap got away with just a 1 week suspension.
I was unaware of this standard practice - I wonder how many of you were as well :exclamation:

i like the mobile phone law, it gives the perfect excuse not to answer the phone :smiley: , ‘oh sorry i was driving at the time’ :sunglasses:

I believe it was reported in CM that dear old Ms Bell was going to hammer anyone caught doing this and that anyone caught would be suspended.

why is it suddenly so dangerous to use a hand held phone
the world is going mad

Are you joking steve? Most drivers cant manage using two hands never mind one
Driving in the uk is going down the pan rapidly

I must admit, since the law came into force i have noticed that when i am out and about it seems that almost everyone i see driving with a phone glued to their ear are professional drivers behind the wheel of large vehicles.

I see less and less drivers of cars with mobiles, Go figure?

I have hands free on my phone, most do as standard. lorries are far quieter than they used to be, Im my opinion there is no excuse.

was the offence committed in ■■■■■■■ ROG as the police there have been saying they were going to get tough on lgv drivers (just for a change) :laughing:

Was in Christian Salvestons at the start of the summer and on their boards had a open letter.

Stating that the anyone caught using a mobile phone would be reffered to the traffic commisionar, maybe different up here but the traffic commisionar stated that any caught would be looking at a ban from driving likely upto three months.

scania245:
was the offence committed in ■■■■■■■ ROG as the police there have been saying they were going to get tough on lgv drivers (just for a change) :laughing:

As far as I can tell, there is no place stated.

Drivers of any vehicle caught driving while holding a phone to their ear should be banned for six months… :angry: :angry:

smee chill out next youll be saying we cant use laptops while driving :laughing:

scania245:
smee chill out next youll be saying we cant use laptops while driving :laughing:

or make toast driving up the M6, was a bit tricky spreading the butter though :laughing:

I got caught for this on the M6 at the beginning of february and was told it may be reported to traffic comissioner but to date heard nothing “yet”

H-80:
I got caught for this on the M6 at the beginning of february and was told it may be reported to traffic comissioner but to date heard nothing “yet”

It does seem that reporting to the traffic comissioner is “at the disgression” of the police/courts/cps etc.

It’s a funny old world,isn’t it?

You can’t use a phone,or take a drink,but can smoke a ■■■,take your eyes off the road while tuning the radio,alter your sat nav,pick your nose,scratch your arse…

Ken.

You can blame all the dosy car drivers who use phones whilst driving then maim or kill some innocent person in an accident. Wagon drivers are just as bad, but its because its our job we are more careful by nature while driving. There is no excuse for using a mobile whilst driving, with hands free kits, and even bluetoothed through satnav( which is what i do) the alternatives. :unamused:

I agree with the TC decision except it should be all drivers, not just HGV drivers who are punished.

It should be an immediate 6 month ban where the copper takes your licence at the side of the road there and then.

If you ride a motorcycle you will know where Im coming from. There was a few cases in Portsmouth where a guardian angel on a bike was slashing car tyres of anyone seen driving with a mobile

sandman:
You can blame all the dosy car drivers who use phones whilst driving then maim or kill some innocent person in an accident. Wagon drivers are just as bad, but its because its our job we are more careful by nature while driving. There is no excuse for using a mobile whilst driving, with hands free kits, and even bluetoothed through satnav( which is what i do) the alternatives. :unamused:

Just follow any driver down the road who is using a phone, HGV or car and you will see speed dropping, wandering and total lack of concentration. It even happens to a point with bluetooth if they are deep in thought.

I dont mean we should ban bluetooth but you have to be very careful however good you think we are

Totally agree Wheelnut, but where is the line drawn? I drive along listening to radio 5 live and the debates on there sometimes have me shouting at the radio, should radio be banned to?

sandman:
Totally agree Wheelnut, but where is the line drawn? I drive along listening to radio 5 live and the debates on there sometimes have me shouting at the radio, should radio be banned to?

Only Radio 5 live should be banned :stuck_out_tongue: