LGV licence renewal

Been reading on here of all the delays on renewing your licence so I was expecting to wait a while for it.

Had my medical (£50) on the 20/06/2014 sent it off on 23/06/2014 and it arrived back today a week later :open_mouth:

So maybe they are starting to get to grips with the back log.

Rew:
Been reading on here of all the delays on renewing your licence so I was expecting to wait a while for it.

Had my medical (£50) on the 20/06/2014 sent it off on 23/06/2014 and it arrived back today a week later :open_mouth:

So maybe they are starting to get to grips with the back log.

I think its more likely your paperwork was all tickatyboo with no mistakes mine only ever takes tops a week

Maybe the Welsh cannot understand Geordie so decided not to get an interpreter in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ive just done mine and Im ashamed to say that despite being averagely intelligent, I couldnt make head nor tail of the form! I asked the mrs which box (A or B) to tick and she didnt even know…and she knows EVERYTHING! So I took a punt and just sent if off so we`ll see what transpires.

What perplexed me though was the medical. My quack tried to charge me £120 so having vague recollections of seeing “Drivers Medicals…Cheap” adverts somewhere, I googled it and booked one for £50.
They hire a room at a hotel book in the drivers. 11.55 appointment, no hanging around, in and out in exactly 7 minutes!
She tested my eyes on the wall chart and took my blood pressure…thats all! She then just read out the questions on the renewal form and ticked the boxes as I called out “yes” or “no”.

Now, as it happens, Im in good nick for my age, but if I had anything to hide it would have been quite simple to blag it with no checks being made. I know a doctor socially and when I told him he was quite appalled and said £120 was to do it properly....well yes, Im sure it is, but I don`t care. I just want my licence renewing! (As do we all)!

Dodgy as anything. :smiley:

cheekymonkey:
Dodgy as anything. :smiley:

I think yer doctor friend is trying to justify the extortionate fees…cos I got a ‘cheepy medical’,and yes you answer the questions,but there is no point telling lies ,cos I had to sign a form authorizing the DVLA to check my records,if they thought it was ‘iffy’.
My honest opinion is my own doctor was prepared,to ■■■■ my arse through my wallet was more dodgy,cos at the end of the day whatever the charge the medical is just an expensive ■■■■ sample

I take your point but I didn`t even need a sample! I suppose my point is that a 7 minute medical could never be justified as a genuine medical test, but as I said it suited me just fine.

I must say that although I have to renew my entitlement every year now since topping 65, I have never had a problem with my licence being turned around, usually within a week, even including the letter I get before the licence arrives, from the DVLA medical officer saying that my diabetes is well controlled and is no problem to my entitlement being renewed.
With some of the stories I’ve seen on here I was thinking that the DVLA was getting very slow, and just as I was getting paranoid last week about my D4 not having arrived, it dropped through the letterbox.
Having said that, when I came to make an appointment for my medical, the place where I usually go,(£30), was booked up for June and had not received vacancy slots from the doc for July!
I told the receptionist that I blamed myself as I had recommended this practice to so many other drivers that now I can’t get in myself…

You are all very lucky, my licence has been up for renewal since February, DVLA took 4 months to sent me a letter detailing an Exercise test, and the hospital took one month to sort that out, and i have it today at 3PM. Once the report is sent to DVLA and they sort out the licence it will have taken 5 months. I did complain to them ( the director ) who wrote back with utter nonsense about delays etc etc, and promised changes etc etc, but one thing is for sure, i did tell them NOT to date my licence from the renewal date ( march ) but to date it from when its actually renewed, otherwise i am losing nearly 6 months of my licence, and i will send it back, its a total disgrace.

Mines been at the DVLA since march last year on my second permission to drive letter it’s a waste of time calling them as you just get the stock it’ll be 12 weeks

Yeah, i`ve had the letters about 12 week delays. Anyway i did the treadmill test yesterday ( walked it :laughing: ) it was a great day, i got to the hospital at 2.30 at 2.40 they called me in, and i was outside waiting for the bus at 3.15 with a full test completed, just got to wait fior test sheets to be sent off and vosa to renew the licence, so hopefully i should receive it by xmas ha ha, like i said earlier, if its dated for March, then its going back.

bestbooties:
I must say that although I have to renew my entitlement every year now since topping 65, I have never had a problem with my licence being turned around, usually within a week, even including the letter I get before the licence arrives, from the DVLA medical officer saying that my diabetes is well controlled and is no problem to my entitlement being renewed.
With some of the stories I’ve seen on here I was thinking that the DVLA was getting very slow, and just as I was getting paranoid last week about my D4 not having arrived, it dropped through the letterbox.
Having said that, when I came to make an appointment for my medical, the place where I usually go,(£30), was booked up for June and had not received vacancy slots from the doc for July!
I told the receptionist that I blamed myself as I had recommended this practice to so many other drivers that now I can’t get in myself…

Following this post, I made several calls to book a reasonable priced medical, NOT my own doctor, and I was surprised to find that many are booked for up to a month.
I managed to get a booking with one of these travelling doctors at a local agency premises, but that’s in two weeks time, the earliest
appointment I could get!, that’s best part of a month I’ve wasted, so, be sure you can get a medical booked in plenty of time!,

Had a medical on thurs 26th of june as I’m 50 later this month, sent it off to dvla
licence came back on fri 4th of july

Does anybody know what the traffic light symbol on the back of the licence means ?

Cost me £40 for the medical with doctor hill in shrewsbury and a couple of quid to send it registered post.

use a name:
Had a medical on thurs 26th of june as I’m 50 later this month, sent it off to dvla

Does anybody know what the traffic light symbol on the back of the licence means ?

Cost me £40 for the medical with doctor hill in shrewsbury and a couple of quid to send it registered post.

Have you PMd the details of that doctor to site admin so they can add it to the cheap medical list if not already on it?

Traffic light symbol means nothing - its just there

I bet you wish you had just changed the photo on your licence for about £25 or less and got 5 years LGV extension !

ROG:

use a name:

Have you PMd the details of that doctor to site admin so they can add it to the cheap medical list if not already on it?

Traffic light symbol means nothing - its just there

I bet you wish you had just changed the photo on your licence for about £25 or less and got 5 years LGV extension !

Photo is good till 2019.
I’ll put dr hills details on here after I have asked his permission as you go to his house for your medical.
Im glad I had a medical if anything goes wrong accident or health wise im in the clear.

No matter how long the photo is good for - if you change it and get the new style licence (first issued October 2012) for the first time it gives 5 years for the LGV