Lgv licence renewal medical etc

Sorry if I’m way behind the curve with this, but does anyone know if the D4 exemption continues to apply?
I’m 67 later this month and this would be my 3rd annual medical, but so far, nothing heard from DVLA.

Hi just had this very problem today!! I was sent a D4 form for my medical. Booked my medical, but not sure if it will go ahead? Rang DVLA up today and explained about the medical issue. The lady from DVLA explained that if I fill a D2 form in and send it back, your licence will have a 12 month extension before you need further medical. But in my case my LGV/ HGV entitlement expires and with the current lockdown, any forms returned back to the DVLA may take 6 to 12 weeks to be processed!!

From all the sources including the original government pages, they don’t seem to have cancelled it.

You can get medicals now through private companies like D4 Drivers and those are apparently allowed during this latest lockdown. Seeking medical treatment / assessment is one of the exceptions.

When I got mine they sent a letter explaining that I didn’t need to send back the D4 form, but not sure if they are still sending that. Got licence back in about a week but that was about July.

gov.uk/government/publicati … s-pandemic

As for driving while waiting - you can likely drive under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act assuming it is expected you’ll receive a licence renewal. Eg, you’re not getting it back after medical disqualification.

backhousejones.co.uk/dvla-l … lications/

trevHCS:
From all the sources including the original government pages, they don’t seem to have cancelled it.

You can get medicals now through private companies like D4 Drivers and those are apparently allowed during this latest lockdown. Seeking medical treatment / assessment is one of the exceptions.

When I got mine they sent a letter explaining that I didn’t need to send back the D4 form, but not sure if they are still sending that. Got licence back in about a week but that was about July.

As for driving while waiting - you can likely drive under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act assuming it is expected you’ll receive a licence renewal. Eg, you’re not getting it back after medical disqualification.

My licence was renewed on Jan3rd, no medical required. I’m 73.
Regards Kev.

trevHCS:

You say they haven’t canceled it, but on the Government site you linked to it clearly states that the requirement for a D4 has been suspended until further notice due to the pandemic. It also states that any such licence will only be valid for 12 months.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

hmm…my license and medical are due for renewal in May,and it looks like we’ll still be in the middle of the pandemic so if the OP let’s us know how he get’s on please…

My old mans was due December gone, he,s 74, he rang them up and the woman said just carry on as you are with an automatic 12 month extension on your license, only thing you need to report are any new medical conditions, he,s happy as he said he was packing in this year anyway, then again he,s been saying that since 2010 :laughing:

chaversdad:
My old mans was due December gone, he,s 74, he rang them up and the woman said just carry on as you are with an automatic 12 month extension on your license, only thing you need to report are any new medical conditions, he,s happy as he said he was packing in this year anyway, then again he,s been saying that since 2010 :laughing:

I’d not be happy with that - DVLA require a signed application form (specifically, including a medical declaration). I don’t see any “automatic 12 month extension” that would apply on the strength of a simple phone call.

Roymondo:

chaversdad:

I’d not be happy with that - DVLA require a signed application form (specifically, including a medical declaration). I don’t see any “automatic 12 month extension” that would apply on the strength of a simple phone call.

I.ve checked his license status online and says expiry December 2021

chaversdad:

Roymondo:

chaversdad:

I.ve checked his license status online and says expiry December 2021

All good then!

I have a medical booked for Mon 11th Jan. The Dvla chat I had confirmed I should get it.
I informed him the gov. Site stated any licence expiry between Feb 2020 and 31 December 2020. Should send off form without a medical. Extending by 1 year.

He wasn’t aware it was out of date!

Do I have to send off the ‘old’ license? I,m a bit concerned as I work abroad a lot. Showing a gendarmerie a reference number won’t help my cause.

yuppie:
I have a medical booked for Mon 11th Jan. The Dvla chat I had confirmed I should get it.
I informed him the gov. Site stated any licence expiry between Feb 2020 and 31 December 2020. Should send off form without a medical. Extending by 1 year.

Do I have to send off the ‘old’ license? I,m a bit concerned as I work abroad a lot. Showing a gendarmerie a reference number won’t help my cause.

Send a covering note with application that you work abroad so need to keep original with you until new one arrives. Always worked for me.
Destroy old one when new un arrives, dont want to be caught with a fistful of them!

Thanks franglais, I’ did think that may work.

yuppie:

Does this mean they’ve extended it,or do I still need to get a medical??

bobbya:

yuppie:

Does this mean they’ve extended it,or do I still need to get a medical??

The above statutory guidance was published in April and stated (still states) that the requirement for a D4 has been suspended “until further notice”.

I had thought Doctors might not be too keen on doing medical at the moment, but I was wrong.

If anyone in and around the Tyneside area needs a medical I know a Doctor that carries out driver medicals through a training provider for £45, PM me and I’ll give you the details of the company to contact.

EDIT they’re on an industrial estate, so plenty of room to park a truck if you’re getting it done while out on run.

yuppie:
Thanks franglais, I’ did think that may work.

As Franglais said above, you keep your licence until you receive your new one if you travel abroad. The booklet that you get with your licence renewal states this. It also states that when you receive your new one you must then send your old one back to the DVLA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk