LGV licence must be renewed every five years

From January 2013 all lorry drivers, regardless of their age, will need to renew their LGV licences every five years.

At present, only drivers aged over 45 need to renew their licences every five years, as well as demonstrate their fitness to drive through a full medical report. However, the new regulations will mean all drivers need to reapply every five years, although those under 45 will not be required to undergo a medical and will only need to renew their photograph every 10 years.

The European requirements are being introduced in the UK following a public consultation, which included representations from industry trade associations, in an effort to improve road safety standards.

The changes will be implemented by the Department for Transport in conjunction with the Driving Standards Agency and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

DVLA chief executive Simon Tse, says: “These changes will provide a useful additional reminder for lorry drivers. They will help to ensure that drivers of these vehicles will continue to operate to high levels of levels of safety by ensuring that they are fit to drive.”

More cash for the Government cofferes BUT REMEMBER - no DCPC no licence so its a way of double checking you are up to date with periodic training

roadhog69:
More cash for the Government cofferes

Why? Nothing there says they are introducing a charge and there is no charge for the current 5 yearly, and more frequent, renewals.

Already being discussed here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83741

roadhog69:
The European requirements are being introduced in the UK , in an effort to improve road safety standards.
DVLA chief executive Simon Tse, says: “These changes will provide a useful additional reminder for lorry drivers. They will help to ensure that drivers of these vehicles will continue to operate to high levels of safety by ensuring that they are fit to drive.”

2 words Absolute Bollox. Just more legislation added to an already over regulated industry, and another way of screwing more costs from drivers, end of!

robroy:

roadhog69:
The European requirements are being introduced in the UK , in an effort to improve road safety standards.
DVLA chief executive Simon Tse, says: “These changes will provide a useful additional reminder for lorry drivers. They will help to ensure that drivers of these vehicles will continue to operate to high levels of safety by ensuring that they are fit to drive.”

2 words Absolute Bollox. Just more legislation added to an already over regulated industry, and another way of screwing more costs from drivers, end of!

Even if there is some truth in it, we should not be worried. They cannot withdraw the rights already granted to us. I have my truck license valid for unlimited period of time (old Polish law*) and despite now all licences are issued under new law for 10 years max, they can’t do nothing about mine.

*) some explanation in case that someone want to make some stupid comments: the truck LICENSE are unlimited, because only basic health check was made before driving license was issued. Proper health checks were tied to pre-EU style CPC we had in Poland at this time. So this not poses a risk to British road users at all, as if I would not pass my medicals, I would not be able to drive truck for hire or reward or be employed as a driver. But they could not take my driving license away, because the driving license under old way of thinking was just a proof that I completed my course and passed my tests, and that still stays true even if my health don’t allow me to drive.

Nowadays the situation is unificated with the rest of the EU so it is just as you have here with CPC (except that there are no granparent rights, as everyone had to have their CPC for years).

As I will refuse to have anything to do with the DCPC I see my licence lasting until 01 sept 2014 anyway. If its true I cannot see the government changing a licence for nothing, it will cost. They will see it as another cash cow that we have no say about. I’ve just renewed my passport, that cost £77 for the privilege, even the photos cost £5. What do they do to justify that cost? Nothing because they don’t have to. My guess is around £20 to renew if true.

And don’t forget, when you reach 65 your licence has to be renewed EVERY YEAR, including having an expensive medical!!! Talk about age discrimination.

it does make it sound like it is not worth getting into the industry

Slackbladder:
If its true I cannot see the government changing a licence for nothing, it will cost.

They don’t charge for the 5 yearly or more frequent renewals at the moment and there is nothing in the press releases about a charge.

I paid £20 for my licence to have a new photo of me on it

mickyblue:

I’m talking about LGV remewals, the subject of the thread.

Coffeeholic:

mickyblue:

I’m talking about LGV remewals, the subject of the thread.

Happy day’s then. My one has years left on it :slight_smile:

roadhog69:

From January 2013 all lorry drivers, regardless of their age, will need to renew their LGV licences every five years.

At present, only drivers aged over 45 need to renew their licences every five years, as well as demonstrate their fitness to drive through a full medical report. However, the new regulations will mean all drivers need to reapply every five years, although those under 45 will not be required to undergo a medical and will only need to renew their photograph every 10 years.

The European requirements are being introduced in the UK following a public consultation, which included representations from industry trade associations, in an effort to improve road safety standards.

The changes will be implemented by the Department for Transport in conjunction with the Driving Standards Agency and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).

DVLA chief executive Simon Tse, says: “These changes will provide a useful additional reminder for lorry drivers. They will help to ensure that drivers of these vehicles will continue to operate to high levels of levels of safety by ensuring that they are fit to drive.”

More cash for the Government cofferes BUT REMEMBER - no DCPC no licence so its a way of double checking you are up to date with periodic training

heard about that too.
But why i dont think on it as there were also the talk about 30mph on all British Motorways when the change from driving on Left Site to driving on Right Side of road will start.

Immigrant:

roadhog69:

heard about that too.
But why i dont think on it as there were also the talk about 30mph on all British Motorways when the change from driving on Left Site to driving on Right Side of road will start.

Been on the drugs again?

I dont know what the problem is, most european licences have to be renewed every 3 years, and the british hgv licence when we had a seperate Brown book had to be renewed every 3 years too.

In The Netherlands, you have to renew your license every 5 year and do a medical.
The medical is very advanced and had a lot people failing in the first couple of years.
This can not be done by a GP and must be done by a recognised test centre.
This is for every age, so if you passed your HGV license and medical at the age of 18 than your next check up and renewal is when you turn 23.
We where at that time informed that this would be the line the EC would follow, but it hasn’t materialised (Yet)
Before it was every 10 year and a medical at 45. Before that age you had to fill and sign a self assessment.

I see there are now three threads on this subject :unamused: :unamused:

My vocational entitlements expire in 2020 anyway. So I’m guessing that in 2018 when my they expire through this mentioned system I would renew with or without the medical? Or would it last for 2 years, then I’d need to do my medical with a renewal or what? :unamused:

Or I’ll probably just play it by ear :blush: :blush: :unamused:

This doesn’t improve standards, apart from the treasury take! :imp:

It won’t be long now until there is an entire generation vacant from driving wagons, since no one will want to jump through all the hoops who’s currently at school will they?

It might be easy to be a steering wheel jockey as some on here put it, but before long it’s going to be damned hard to STAY one! :frowning:

caledoniandream:
In The Netherlands, you have to renew your license every 5 year and do a medical.
The medical is very advanced and had a lot people failing in the first couple of years.

This would make more sense than a new photo every five years.

mine runs out in 2014. it won’t be renewed.

there will be a reason for this new law, and my suspicions which are usually correct, are as follows.
a new constitution is on its way. and there will be some wording in it which will have to match the irish constitution. this will be something on the lines of “no one will have the authority to take away a man or womans right to make a living”.
so they can’t take a licence from you, but what they can do is refuse to renew it.

limeyphil:
so they can’t take a licence from you, but what they can do is refuse to renew it.

They already can if you fail your medical or end up in front of the TC for hours or loading offences, so no change there. If it’s extended to keep out serial offenders it might just raise standards in the industry… know what I mean Phil? :wink: