LGV Lessons

NEW ON SITE

1. Just wondered what anyone thought of doing one 4 hour lessons (cat c) one-to-one per week or every other week over a period of weeks rather than paying for whole course up front (especially if like me you can’t afford to!) Would this prepare you adequately for test. I know if it was old rules with split/range gears it might be better to have consecutive days leading up to test but with automatic would it work? That’s how most of us passed out car tests. Any thoughts.

2. Would be interested in views as to why rigid drivers however long they have had licence have never wanted to do HGV1/C+E. What is it that puts them off. I’m not keen either for various reasons but don’t want to spoil my chances of work if I only have rigid.

Thanks.

Many schools will do the training as you ask but it all depends if they can fit that type in with their normal training schedules

I often think that is better as the test is only booked when ready

Check out the link in my signature below

IMO not best to do a lesson a week. As ROG says, it can be difficult to schedule sometimes. I have also found it normally takes longer, thus costing more. Everyone has a “fall back” between lessons that has to be recovered at the start of the next session. When these sessions are spread, the “fall back” can be greater meaning more time is needed to catch up again.

Might be better to save up and do a course in the normal manner IMO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for response. Mainly cost issue really plus I don’t really want to just scrape through with a pass would rather pass easily driving above standard required. Probably would be easier for a lot of people struggling with paying themselves but as you say some schools might have difficulty fitting someone in if they are booked up during week with standard courses. Would the “fall back” be much though in an auto? Mark.

Max-Cady:
Thanks for response. Mainly cost issue really plus I don’t really want to just scrape through with a pass would rather pass easily driving above standard required. Probably would be easier for a lot of people struggling with paying themselves but as you say some schools might have difficulty fitting someone in if they are booked up during week with standard courses. Would the “fall back” be much though in an auto? Mark.

Before I started, I thought the same, I didn’t want to only do it during a week. But I since realised that a good school can take most people to the standard in that time.
I would actually turn your own logic upside down: Doing it in an auto does make the learning process quicker and takes some of the stress out of it. That in turn gives you more time to get more experience in making you well above the required standard.

Most of it is psychological in my opinion; it’s not only building up your driving skills over the week, but building up your self belief to the point you expect to pass. Feeling and looking confident handling the truck and driving safely puts the examiner in the right frame of mind to pass you!

My first rigid test I had a clash with the instructor and probably an attitude problem myself; it felt like I only heard my mistakes and wasn’t told anything was good, I also didn’t listen enough, and I sort of expected to fail the test and sure enough did.
For the re-test I’d clicked that a truck isn’t a car and going slowly and carefully isn’t a sign of ineptitude, you actually have to do it! After two days (with the same instructor!) I absolutely expected to pass and did.
Same for artic, I went in pretty confident and easily passed.

Moral of all that is if choose a reputable school (ideally DSA registered) with decent equipment and you will give yourself every chance. All the best!

Thanks for the info. I’ll probably do one or two 4 hour lessons first and then book a course of however many days I will need. Might be based way.

If you’re booking one or two 4 hour sessions, you may as well do an intensive course and test, consisting of 3 x 4 hour lessons, followed by the test on the following day. That’s how Peter Smythe works, and i’m off to do a residential course with them starting this coming Friday (17th), with my test the following Monday. I hope I will pass (obviously) and would like to consider myself a good driver, but who doesn’t…

Anyway what is the worst that can happen? You (or I) could fail after the 3 x 4 hour lessons, but what have we lost? Nothing really, as you have had a few lessons, and experienced what the test will be like. I think if you have a lesson say every fortnight you could easily spend a lot more money, as you might have 5 or 6 lessons, and still not be any better on your test because of the “fall back” Pete states.

I agree with th2013 that psychology is important, and if you’re feeling negative and pessimistic, an intensive course may better for you. As you won’t get the chance for doubts to creep into your mind between lessons. But you will only find out by trying!!!

P.S. Takes a big man to admit he may have had a bit of an attitude problem th2013, you sure you’re a trucker? :smiley:

In my opinion the length of lessons is irrelevant. Whether you past your test on the day is mostly down to two elements, luck and control of your nerves. I have passed HGV III, PSV, HGV I on the first attempt and my motorbike on my second attempt. On the HGV I, I had one very unlucky encounter but my response was under control and I did not rush. I was at a junction turning right on a very busy road (50mph limit) and very unfortunate for me a bus driver decided to park at the bus stop 50 yards up the road where I am turning into. He gets out his paper and starts to read. So now I have a busy main road where it is difficult to get out at the best of times but now when I get out I have a bus in my path that I need to overtake. I waited ages and started to sweat as the presence of the driving examiner is now overbearing! Eventually there is a gap in the traffic and I clear the junction and overtake the bus in one without slowing down the oncoming traffic. I knew I had done the right thing s the examiner exclaimed that was unfortunate and I passed my test with a clear slate :smiley: On my motorbike test you have to do a 360 without putting your foot down. I think it was a con because I was taken to a very steep hill and it was pouring rain! I got the bike around but had to dip my toe on the road as the bike started downhill on a slippery surface!!! On the retest they took me to a flat huge road where I could have done 360’s all day!

Just be calm and drive with extra care and attention if in doubt take your time and work the problem.

le

alder:
In my opinion the length of lessons is irrelevant. Whether you past your test on the day is mostly down to two elements, luck and control of your nerves. I have passed HGV III, PSV, HGV I on the first attempt and my motorbike on my second attempt. On the HGV I, I had one very unlucky encounter but my response was under control and I did not rush. I was at a junction turning right on a very busy road (50mph limit) and very unfortunate for me a bus driver decided to park at the bus stop 50 yards up the road where I am turning into. He gets out his paper and starts to read. So now I have a busy main road where it is difficult to get out at the best of times but now when I get out I have a bus in my path that I need to overtake. I waited ages and started to sweat as the presence of the driving examiner is now overbearing! Eventually there is a gap in the traffic and I clear the junction and overtake the bus in one without slowing down the oncoming traffic. I knew I had done the right thing s the examiner exclaimed that was unfortunate and I passed my test with a clear slate :smiley: On my motorbike test you have to do a 360 without putting your foot down. I think it was a con because I was taken to a very steep hill and it was pouring rain! I got the bike around but had to dip my toe on the road as the bike started downhill on a slippery surface!!! On the retest they took me to a flat huge road where I could have done 360’s all day!

Just be calm and drive with extra care and attention if in doubt take your time and work the problem.

Again Alder, a good post (You OK mate?)

Evil8Beezle:

alder:

Again Alder, a good post (You OK mate?)

Yeah I am fine thank you :smiley: :smiley: looking forward to watching the tennis with a couple of cans lined up :wink:

alder:
Yeah I am fine thank you :smiley: :smiley: looking forward to watching the tennis with a couple of cans lined up :wink:

Good, should be a cracking match if Federer plays well. Enjoy! :sunglasses: