LGV Instructors (& Trainees) - FEEDBACK please

I’m looking to ADD, CHANGE or OMIT, if needed, any advice given to LGV trainees in the posts I have put together which can be accessed from the link in my signature.
The advice that is given is, at present, ONLY from MY PERSPECTIVE and I would like to expand on that with your help.
As instructors, we all have different ways of saying and doing things. With this in mind, a more balanced view is needed to give trainees, or prospective trainees, a wider choice of information.
I would like any suggestions you have to be in ‘open forum’ so that others can see where we may differ on various points. However, if you wish to PM or E-mail me with a suggestion, I shall not put that suggestion into open forum until I have your permission.

Looking forward to your replies… :smiley: :smiley:

TRAINEES - if you have any suggestions as to how something might be better said or done either in my posts or in your training - FEEL FREE - all feedback welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Think you have got most subjects covered in the general way Rod. Well done for taking all the time to do it.
In my opinion although it is good to have general tips and hints it is also invaluable to be able to asnwer trainees queries individually too.
Remembering that every trainee is different and understands things differently so weill need a different view of some things.

Also it is important to point out that not all trucks - or training vehicles - are the same and behave in the same way.
Even trucks that are identical can behave differently. We had two Volvos that where ‘twins’ with exactly the same spec.
One pulled away very nicely in third gear - the other would not budge in third without groaning so needed second for pullaway.
These things are another good point to be mentioned I think.

Thanks mothertrucker.
I’ll add that into the advice once, hopefully, a few more comments have been made. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

no offence intended to anyone here, particularly my instructor:

Speak up if you can see the trainee’s doing something wrong.

I assume you try not to be on the trainee’s back all the time but I for one would rather know what I’m doing wrong and what to do about it. The usual three or four and a half days are too short to be beating around the bush as it were (it may help if that was explained to the trainee) a pat on the back from time to time may help the medicine go down too?

This is, of course, only my opinion but you may like to bear it in mind.

Again, no offence intended - I’m doing ok as it is and I’m greatful for the instruction I’m getting :wink:

Rog,

i know it s the basics but woud a check list for the safety checks,both c&e and c) and what to look for, plus any tips on how to remember it all be worthwhile?

i know when i first started i always forgot the cab markers at the top, suspension and wheel nuts (dont ask me why they are quite important checks, as they all are really)

thats my 2p worth and im skint now, back to work for three days to make the money back!

Giblsa:
Rog,

i know it s the basics but woud a check list for the safety checks,both c&e and c) and what to look for, plus any tips on how to remember it all be worthwhile?

i know when i first started i always forgot the cab markers at the top, suspension and wheel nuts (dont ask me why they are quite important checks, as they all are really)

thats my 2p worth and im skint now, back to work for three days to make the money back!

A lot of those are in the ‘Safety questions’ already listed in one of the links but I take your point about the things that are not listed such as Air & electrical line checks. Thses types of things might be covered by the new driver cpc because it would be sensible to do so… Hmmm… the DSA are compiling the driver cpc… I may take back what I just said :wink: :laughing:

darkseeker:
no offence intended to anyone here, particularly my instructor:

Speak up if you can see the trainee’s doing something wrong.

I assume you try not to be on the trainee’s back all the time but I for one would rather know what I’m doing wrong and what to do about it. The usual three or four and a half days are too short to be beating around the bush as it were (it may help if that was explained to the trainee) a pat on the back from time to time may help the medicine go down too?

This is, of course, only my opinion but you may like to bear it in mind.

Again, no offence intended - I’m doing ok as it is and I’m greatful for the instruction I’m getting :wink:

You mean that this is not done by every instructor :exclamation: :question: :question: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

lol, now I’ve opened a can of worms!

just thought it worth mentioning :confused:

darkseeker:
lol, now I’ve opened a can of worms!

just thought it worth mentioning :confused:

you bad boy. go and sit on the naughty step for 5 minutes! :imp:

aww, but but but.

Ah, fair enough 5 minutes’ll give me time to plan my next foot-in-mouth offence :unamused:

darkseeker:
a pat on the back from time to time may help the medicine go down too?

Very true, and I would hope that everyone applies the principle of

Serving Up the Feedback Sandwich

Negative feedback is never easy to give, but sandwiching criticism between layers of praise makes it more palatable and more effective.

although, this side of the Pond, I think we have another name for it (which I can’t remember :blush: :blush: :blush: ). But the principle remains the same.

:wink:

They say the golden rule for bringing up children is five lots of praise for every one telling off.

I think this also goes for driver training too. Of course the instructor has to immedietly point out any errors - and sosmetimes on the first day we struggle to find a good comment to make - but I always made sure I found one. There is always an opportunity to praise and I always felt it important to finish the days trainng on a high note with lots mention of the improvement - a small warning about what to mull over during the evening on weak spots but a positive boost on the good bits.

Mothertrucker wrote:-

They say the golden rule for bringing up children is five lots of praise for every one telling off.

I think this also goes for driver training too. Of course the instructor has to immedietly point out any errors - and sosmetimes on the first day we struggle to find a good comment to make - but I always made sure I found one. There is always an opportunity to praise and I always felt it important to finish the days trainng on a high note with lots mention of the improvement - a small warning about what to mull over during the evening on weak spots but a positive boost on the good bits.

Sound thinking Mothertrucker.

I once a had a young lady (C1, for horse box) who complained to me that I hadn’t praised her for anything - I did have to tell her that she hadn’t done anything that I could!!

Usually, however, I always give a trainee something positive - even if its only that he/she can get out of the cab safely :smiley:. Thankfully rare those trainees though.