LGV drop off and hire car return - WTD?

Hi Guys,

Sorry probably answer somewhere already.
Got about a 5 hour run to drop a wagon off, then returning in a hire car.
What’s the score on working hours.

Guessing it pretty standard for the Wagon, and WTD breaks back n the hire?

Cheers

I’d say it’s obviously drivers hours there, then poa back

Other work when i bring the courtesy van back.

PeteMac:
Hi Guys,

Sorry probably answer somewhere already.
Got about a 5 hour run to drop a wagon off, then returning in a hire car.
What’s the score on working hours.

Guessing it pretty standard for the Wagon, and WTD breaks back n the hire?

Cheers

Assuming it’s a registered lorry and not a new one that’s not yet registered it’s normal EU regulations for the lorry driving.

If you’re not driving the car back it can be booked as break, if you are driving the car then legally it should be booked as other work.

I’ll change my post to other work for the car. I assumed you were being driven back

OVLOV JAY:
I’d say it’s obviously drivers hours there, then poa back

It would only be POA if you are driven back in a car by a third party. If YOU are driving then it’s “Other Work” all the way.

Don’t drive for free on the company books - ever! Resist this move to get more “off-book” hours at work in for the firm. If you are “Off-Book” and you crash the car, the company can also say “You were not on firm’s time” and the car will often be hired out in the actual driver’s name rather than then company name - thus avoiding being sued. You don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist like me to realize that you are literally WIDE OPEN should anything go wrong here. Drive the car yourself, and book it as “Other Work” as a manual Tacho entry at the earliest opportunity.

Other work counts towards your 48 hour average WTD working week. :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I agree with tachograph.

“If no work is undertaken, periods of availability, time spent riding as a passenger in a vehicle, or on a ferry or train are not counted as “other work” under the RTR.”

Although break isn’t specifically mentioned, periods of availability and other work are. It isn’t driving, so logically the only classification left is break. Pretty poor, on the face of it, it would appear that you could ride back 9 hours in a car and then start another shift in an in- scope vehicle under the RTR. Could you clarify that this is correct tachograph?

Kerragy:
it would appear that you could ride back 9 hours in a car and then start another shift in an in- scope vehicle under the RTR. Could you clarify that this is correct tachograph?

No that’s not quite correct.

The return journey to base or home from where you’ve had control of a vehicle falling in-scope of EU regulations cannot be counted as rest, apart from that you can have a break in a moving vehicle but you cannot legally have a daily rest period in a moving vehicle.

Thank you, that makes sense.

Thanks guys,

Your responses are really appreciated, been off the wagons for a few years (second day back) and although Tacho’s and WTD are mostly fairly straight forward. Was a bit uncertain on tomorrows job (I am driving myself back in a hire veh).

~ Pete

Pete, I’d have a wager that as soon as the company become aware you are working to the law and intend to manual entry the car drive onto your card as other work, the job will be passed on and you will be too. Unfortunately it’s becoming ‘the norm’ to expect workers to waiver their rights to rules and regulations to suit the companies requirements.

Honestly !

Honestscott76:
Pete, I’d have a wager that as soon as the company become aware you are working to the law and intend to manual entry the car drive onto your card as other work, the job will be passed on and you will be too. Unfortunately it’s becoming ‘the norm’ to expect workers to waiver their rights to rules and regulations to suit the companies requirements.

Honestly !

Not where i am it doesn’t happen.
POA and other fiddles and ■■■■■■■■ not acknowledged, you are either working or on break/rest.

Unionised job pays well with company treating staff with respect, which is given gladly in return by those with more than half a brain.

Juddian:

Honestscott76:

Honestly !

Not where i am it doesn’t happen.
POA and other fiddles and ■■■■■■■■ not acknowledged, you are either working or on break/rest.

Unionised job pays well with company treating staff with respect, which is given gladly in return by those with more than half a brain.

Juddian, your one of the fortunate ones then.

Honestly !

I was under the impression that if a period of time " on company time " that you are unsure of what mode to use when doing a manual entry, you can just use the ? Symbol

TheNewBoy:
I was under the impression that if a period of time " on company time " that you are unsure of what mode to use when doing a manual entry, you can just use the ? Symbol

No that’s not correct, legally you’re required to accurately record all your activities.

The ? symbol is for time that cannot be accounted for on the driver card/VDU, for instance if you did a shift using an analogue tachograph then a shift using a digital tachograph, when you put your card in the digital tachograph you couldn’t legally put the time since the card was last ejected as rest because you’d been working and using an analogue tachograph, so you would record the time since the card was last ejected with the symbol ?.

In the OPs case the car driving time is other work and should be recorded as such.

You cannot legally just use the ? symbol because you can’t be bothered to figure out what activity to record, though I think some people do :wink: :slight_smile: