LGV Driving / Warfarin

Hi Everyone

Brief background
I have completed all the steps of medical, provisional licence, all the theory tests and was looking at embarking on practical training only to have a spanner thrown in the works.
Walking up the road and started to get out of breath. Had a DVT a few years ago and recently fractured my heel. Looks like the fracture bled, caused a pulmonary embolism. Four nights in hospital (and those nurses do work bloody hard - pretty much running the wards themselves) and blood tests, chest xray, ct scan, heart ultrasound I have been diagnosed with significant PE’s on both lungs. Been put on apixaban (no need for regular blood tests like warfarin) for life.

Now I understand from the DVLA’s point of view there is no issue with continuing with my plans to do practical training. But I wonder if I should cut my losses at this point and look to do something else. I’m in my 40’s so not much else to do.

My biggest concern is risk of injury and obviously bleeding. Whether cuts and lacerations or internal: head injury for example.

Are there any types of LGV jobs that I should avoid? Are some jobs less risky than others? I don’t mind the exercise, in and out of vehicle. Actually probably better health wise.

I would imagine that LGV drivers themselves are at risk of DVT’s if sitting for too long. Worth getting out and having a walk around whenever you can to avoid getting a DVT and the risk afterwards of getting a PE and finding yourself in my position. I got lucky as lot of people never make it to the hospital in time. Health lecture over :smiley:.

Any drivers in the same position, taking warfarin (or similar) and not letting it get in the way of the job?

Thanks.

In regards to DVT, most of my shifts involve at least two periods of constant driving for 3.5hrs or longer. If you suffer from it or have in the past this may be something you want to consider.

As for drawing blood, its quite rare nowadays as elfin safety monkeys have banned most of the stuff that could lead to it. Still the odd chance of getting a whack in the face from a curtain strap or a smack on the head from a curtain pole when its windy though.

We are lucky when you think about it, we can pull over a take a break whenever we feel like it to a point. There are lots of options for driving when you do have your licence so you could look for more local work with less long distance driving.

As you are concerned about james , you would need to take great care . I’ve been on another blood thinner ( clopidogrel ) for 12 years now and the mildest knock produces bruising . In the case of a cut the bleeding takes a while to control and healing is slow . Not trying to put you off driving , just alerting you to the possible risks . Dave

Hi, James, I too am on warfarin and am driving, I have been on warfarin for 20 years, due to having a factor 5 condition inherited from my father, which means I clot easily, I have had 3 dvt’s one of which reached my lungs, ■■■■■■■ scary sheit, I talked to my consultant and we decided that I would take warfarin for life and would never get another blood clot, I have to be careful if I get a cut, but I have led a normal life for 20 years, don’t let it put you off, get your INR checked regularly and you will be ok.

Sapper

sapper:
Hi, James, I too am on warfarin and am driving, I have been on warfarin for 20 years, due to having a factor 5 condition inherited from my father, which means I clot easily, I have had 3 dvt’s one of which reached my lungs, [zb] scary sheit, I talked to my consultant and we decided that I would take warfarin for life and would never get another blood clot, I have to be careful if I get a cut, but I have led a normal life for 20 years, don’t let it put you off, get your INR checked regularly and you will be ok.

Sapper

Sapper how do you get your INR tested, assuming you are out on the road Mon-Fri?

James if you get a little cut from manual work you aren’t going to bleed out on Warfarin, especially if your INR is where it should be. Its more of a problem for internal bleeding or a severe cut.

I believe that the drug you are taking is a little harder to stop bleeds as there isn’t an antidote but with warfarin if there was ever a problem like that you would be injected with vitamin k to thicken your blood and reduce the bleeding.

rigsby:
As you are concerned about james , you would need to take great care . I’ve been on another blood thinner ( clopidogrel ) for 12 years now and the mildest knock produces bruising . In the case of a cut the bleeding takes a while to control and healing is slow . Not trying to put you off driving , just alerting you to the possible risks . Dave

I’m on that stuff and if I knock myself (which I do quite often due to the nature of my job) I was advised to carry with me one of those cuttle fish bones with me and scrape my finger nail over it onto the bleeding area, I was surprised when it slowed or stopped the bleeding, but had to be sober enough to remember to do it though …

Thanks for all the advice. I was already in two minds about it before the PE’s to be honest. Heard so much negative stuff about the job.

Hi, James, I too am on warfarin and am driving, I have been on warfarin for 20 years, due to having a factor 5 condition inherited from my father, which means I clot easily, I have had 3 dvt’s one of which reached my lungs, [zb] scary sheit, I talked to my consultant and we decided that I would take warfarin for life and would never get another blood clot, I have to be careful if I get a cut, but I have led a normal life for 20 years, don’t let it put you off, get your INR checked regularly and you will be ok.

Sapper

Have you thought about doing away with the blood tests and going on to one of the newer anti-coags?

James if you get a little cut from manual work you aren’t going to bleed out on Warfarin, especially if your INR is where it should be. Its more of a problem for internal bleeding or a severe cut.

I believe that the drug you are taking is a little harder to stop bleeds as there isn’t an antidote but with warfarin if there was ever a problem like that you would be injected with vitamin k to thicken your blood and reduce the bleeding.

Seems like the older doctors still prescribing warfarin, newer ones moving away from it. Doctor seems to think risks are about the same with severe bleeding.