LGV at 18 years old?

Another quick question for the brains around here!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Has the minimum age for obtaining an LGV licence been reduced to 18 yet?

And if it has not already been reduced does anyone know for definate when it will be…if at all!!!

Many thanks again in advance,

Bullitt.

Yes mate, I believe it has.

im not 100% but im pretty sure you can only obtain it at 18 if you are doing the nvq all part of the new cpc i think but otherwise its still 21, like i said im not 100% but im sure Rog will be along soon to put me right.

It has been, 10th Sept 2009 was the drop date iirc

Taken from:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022547

You can drive these vehicles at age 18 if one of the following apply:

• you have passed your driving test and Driver CPC initial qualification
  • you are learning to drive or taking a driving test for this category or Driver CPC initial qualification
  • you are taking a national vocational training course to get a Driver CPC initial qualification
  • you had your driving licence before 10 September 2009 - you must take the CPC periodic training within five years of this date

Cheers all for the replies. I have been doing a bit of digging myself but am still abit confused on a few issues.

An 18 year old CAN drive / learn to drive an LGV but BEFORE applying for their provisional licence they must complete parts 2 and 4 of the Driver CPC??

Once they have completed and passed parts 2 and 4 of the DCPC, they apply for a provisional licence then go about the usual process of theory tests etc??..is this correct.

Why do they only have to complete parts 2 and 4 of the DCPC and not parts 1 and 3?

How many parts are there??

Cheers chaps. :wink:

bullitt:
confused on a few issues

You seem to be very confused so I hope this helps…

This is the basic version of the INITIAL driver CPC to see the in-depth version CLICK HERE
MEDICAL
PROVISIONAL
Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD and/or training by LGV school
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 3 practical drive - Training for this by LGV school. DSA LGV test centers & routes
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school.

Both modules 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3. Module 2 must be passed before taking 4
The mod 4 pass DQC (driver cpc card) cannot be issued until mod 3 is passed.
Many schools are doing the mod 4 test during the mod 3 training.

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS or by LGV training school
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

ROG:

bullitt:
confused on a few issues

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yep, you`re right there rog, VERY confused. :laughing: :laughing:…and yes, your post did help. :wink: :wink:

Firstly, many thanks for posting all that, it must have taken a bit of time, so many thanks,
i appreciate it.

To save clogging up the forum could I email you direct with any further queries?? I have one more but its not really relevant to truck driving.

Many thanks once again,.

Bullitt.

bullitt:
Firstly, many thanks for posting all that, it must have taken a bit of time, so many thanks,

I have all that info on a notepad file so I can just copy and paste it :smiley:

bullitt:
To save clogging up the forum could I email you direct with any further queries?? I have one more but its not really relevant to truck driving.

It’s your thread - you started it so go ahead and ask :smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

bullitt:
confused on a few issues

This is the basic version of the INITIAL driver CPC to see the in-depth version CLICK HERE
MEDICAL
PROVISIONAL
Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD and/or training by LGV school
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 3 practical drive - Training for this by LGV school. DSA LGV test centers & routes
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school.

Both modules 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3. Module 2 must be passed before taking 4
The mod 4 pass DQC (driver cpc card) cannot be issued until mod 3 is passed.
Many schools are doing the mod 4 test during the mod 3 training.

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS or by LGV training school
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

stupid question ROG my boy passed his class c in the army about 5 weeks ago, now i know he did all the theory and that so has he only got to do mod 4 now to get his cpc card?

peteandbrenda:
my boy passed his class c in the army about 5 weeks ago, now i know he did all the theory and that so has he only got to do mod 4 now to get his cpc card?

I’m guessing he did modules 1a 1b and 3 so he will need to do modules 2 & 4 to get a DQC (Dcpc card) to allow him to drive LGVs commercially in civvy street

PS - No question is stupid - you might get stupid answers though :wink: :laughing:

Passed mine at 18, 30 years ago!!! Curtesy of our Lil, in Leconfield… :wink:

we have a lad with us, on this tour, who is 20 years old.pretty sure he did it all through the young drivers scheme, as was? already, he has done most of scandinavia, the baltics, and russia with us, which may be a 1st, for a 20 year old?
fair play to him, as he knows, he has a lot to learn, but is a cracking little driver none the less. :sunglasses:
and as we are in bologna this week, we visited the ferrari museum at maranello, and along with me and another driver, the 3 of us got to drive a ferrrari f430 spider, around maranello :grimacing: :grimacing:
as a 39 year old, it was a dream come true, and know, our young friend, enjoyed it just as much!!! :sunglasses: