Lgv advanced driving test?

I am curious as to how many LGV drivers on this site have taken an commercial advanced driving test?

That wouldn’t be Rog as in Rog who used to train in Nottingham would it?

Oh, and no I haven’t taken a advanced test…

Different one.

Not me I had enough trouble with the basic test :blush: :blush: :smiley: :smiley:

Have done the Fire Service “Emergency Fire Appliance Driving” (E.F.A.D) course and the EFAD instructors course…got to sit a new “advanced” EFAD Instructors course in a couple of weeks time.

3 weeks of driving and classroom work…lovely, can`t wait.!! :unamused: :cry:

Done IAM car and qualified observer, waiting to do senior observer. Quite fancy doing LGV advanced, but time and cost are a problem (I’d have to pay for the fuel even if I could get my truck from work!)

didn’t even know there was one :blush: :blush: :blush:

to be honest, If i was going to do another test I’d probably go for another category on my licence! :wink:

Denis F:
didn’t even know there was one :blush: :blush: :blush:

Yes, the IAM does and I beleive ROSPA do one as well.

This wouldn’t be a bit of market research would it ROG? :wink: :smiley: :smiley: See what the potential take up might be for a new business? :wink: :smiley:

Not market research, but not a bad idea. :wink:
I will reveal my reasons for asking the question after a lot more replies.

I haven’t either & I don’t think you’ll find many drivers who are willing to take it unless there’s an advantage. It’s not as if, unless you’re O/D, you get cheaper insurance (allegedly). Employers aren’t going to pay higher rates because of it, & they are unlikely to pay the extra cost for it either. Having said that, a number of larger employers have their own in-house training which is at least based on & is as good as ROSPA’s.

i second that tallyman :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

I did some professional training towards IAM bike test, then joined my local IAM bike group, but never got round to doing the test. I started on Euro work, so don’t get enough time on my bike anymore.

I would consider IAM for the wagon, but doubt I would bother to be honest. Not a lot in it for me, that I can see, that would justify the cost.

Did the IAM car test and also the ROSPA car test,and someone then said why dont you do the lgv/psv test ,but where i work i am afraid it would go against some of the ridiculas times that they give you to keep to any way and a few other daft ideas that they keep comming up with like you dont need a working speedo on that bus :open_mouth: ,they talk a good job but when it comes to the nitty gritty well i,ll say no more,its certainly opened my eyes,as you can probably tell i havent done this job for long (dare i say it on here :slight_smile: bus driver) but i certainly wont give them the chance to drop me in it just to suit them,thats why i wont take the lgv/psv equivelent for them,maybe my thinkings all wrong,dont know.

Simon:
I did some professional training towards IAM bike test, then joined my local IAM bike group, but never got round to doing the test. I started on Euro work, so don’t get enough time on my bike anymore.

I would consider IAM for the wagon, but doubt I would bother to be honest. Not a lot in it for me, that I can see, that would justify the cost.

Same here Simon. Paid them the money but never had time to do the test. :open_mouth:

No I haven’t.

I might do it if my company were backing the idea i.e. they gave me time to do it and maybe sponsored it. :confused:

But other than in this circumstance, I probably wouldn’t bother.

I think it would be a nice thing to have, and I would like it personally. It would be physical evidence that I am a good, safe driver.

But it comes back to the WIIFM factor. Am I likely to earn more as a result of having such a qualification?

Probably not at the present time. Companies are quite happy to throw the keys of a vehicle worth £150,000, carrying an equally expensive load to a driver who has no experience of RHD or driving in this country.

In the current climate, I can’t see much benefit in holding an advanced licence as far as employment goes.

I have the IAM LGV advanced test which in turn makes you a driving assessor :smiley:

ROG:
Not market research, but not a bad idea. :wink:
I will reveal my reasons for asking the question after a lot more replies.

still waiting with baited breath for your reasons, :slight_smile:

ROG:
I am curious as to how many LGV drivers on this site have taken an commercial advanced driving test?

Perhaps I should have posed the question as:-
How many LGV drivers consider themselves to be so good at driving that they do not need to be tested at advanced level?
OR
How many LGV drivers believe they are so good because they drive LGVs for a living that advanced training or testing would not benefit them?

It will probably come down to “I cannot make any money out of it, so I will not bother even if it makes me a safer driver”

I did my car advanced first and then transferred my skills to the LGV - only borrowed the truck twice on a Saturday morning. Once for an assessment and then again for the test - just paid for fuel.

ROG:

ROG:

Perhaps I should have posed the question as:-
How many LGV drivers consider themselves to be so good at driving that they do not need to be tested at advanced level?
OR
How many LGV drivers believe they are so good because they drive LGVs for a living that advanced training or testing would not benefit them?

It will probably come down to “I cannot make any money out of it, so I will not bother even if it makes me a safer driver”

I did my car advanced first and then transferred my skills to the LGV - only borrowed the truck twice on a Saturday morning. Once for an assessment and then again for the test - just paid for fuel.

Both your questions seem to read the same. So what is the point your trying to make :question:

We should all pay to be recoqnised as adavanced drivers :question: