Leyland Marathon...The "Nearly" Truck of The 1970s?

gingerfold:

ramone:
The whole lot we have 2 8 wheeler tippers 1 8 wheeler hook loader and a 6x4 tractor all have given engine trouble and numerous othr problems but the service is bad too with vehicĺes being at the dealers for far too long waiting fòr parts

And when the parts do turn up they are very expensive. I regularly go past the MAN dealership in Trafford Park and they must have close on 100 ex-contract tractor units for sale, but the line-up never changes, they can’t sell them.

Blimey and to think they all said that must be better than a fleet of T45’s with ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Fuller and everyone believed it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Marathon.

gingerfold:

ramone:

railstaff:
Actual engine or the Denox?

The whole lot we have 2 8 wheeler tippers 1 8 wheeler hook loader and a 6x4 tractor all have given engine trouble and numerous othr problems but the service is bad too with vehicĺes being at the dealers for far too long waiting fòr parts

And when the parts do turn up they are very expensive. I regularly go past the MAN dealership in Trafford Park and they must have close on 100 ex-contract tractor units for sale, but the line-up never changes, they can’t sell them.

Yeah there is no denying the service and backup is shocking.VOR parts once a week on a thursday,dealers that stock no parts and work school hours.MAN have a real problem on their hands with the Euro 5,s in that there is no second hand market for them,even the Africans wont take them.Des Evans thought he was so clever when he binned ■■■■■■■ with the ERF ECT.I wonder how he feels now.

God,when you take a look at the above brochure what a tool these should have been.Cab comfort left the Euros for dead.Very nearly a flat floor unlike the 88,s.The TL12 gave a very good account of itself plus the nine speed.Only minus for me would be that dreaded hub reduction backend.Seem to remember it gave plenty of headache with the anulus ring gear dropping off after a couple of years.

railstaff:
God,when you take a look at the above brochure what a tool these should have been.Cab comfort left the Euros for dead.Very nearly a flat floor unlike the 88,s.The TL12 gave a very good account of itself plus the nine speed.Only minus for me would be that dreaded hub reduction backend.Seem to remember it gave plenty of headache with the anulus ring gear dropping off after a couple of years.

Contemproary reports, other than Leyland’s own adverts, do not mention the Marathon having superior cab comfort to the Euros. Apart from the F88, they all had low engine humps. That said, it wasn’t that far behind in that regard- it’s downside was mechanical unreliability, as you say.

I did a few miles in this old girl. Don’t remember having any breakdowns but I do remember how fast it was, even fully freighted… :laughing: :laughing:

LoadpaintBrighton.jpg

Carryfast:

ramone:
Scania went down the EGR road for a while and they seemed to be ok whereas our MANs run on both systems and both types have been very unreliable

It’s probably fair to say that the F90 at least was second to none in the day.With Independent Express’ fleet being invincible for one example and our Fraikin example from memory also seeming to live up to the reputation.While obviously no chance of the Fuller option in the Merc which was the deal breaker for me between them.With the MAN Fuller installation being as good as it got with excellent shift quality.

trucksplanet.com/catalog//model.php?id=594

While I’d put the Marathon a long way below nearly there in its day and definitely preferred the Foden S 83/85 even with the plastic cab. :wink:

Couple of points of order, Independent express ran the earlier F8 MAN, and in 1980 Merc UK made the 13 speed Fuller an option in the 28 by 1983 they had sold the grand total of one, so dropped it.

GS OVERLAND:
I did a few miles in this old girl. Don’t remember having any breakdowns but I do remember how fast it was, even fully freighted… :laughing: :laughing:

What engine did you have in it ? It seems like there`s a theme emerging here by the drivers that had them long term , reliable and fast.

I suppose with any of the three engine installations they,d be flying machines.I was told that with a TL12 fitted they performed brillantly,with the 855 fitted the sky was the limit.

ramone:

GS OVERLAND:

What engine did you have in it ? It seems like there`s a theme emerging here by the drivers that had them long term , reliable and fast.

It had the TL12 in it.

Carryfast:

ramone:
Scania went down the EGR road for a while and they seemed to be ok whereas our MANs run on both systems and both types have been very unreliable

It’s probably fair to say that the F90 at least was second to none in the day.With Independent Express’ fleet being invincible for one example and our Fraikin example from memory also seeming to live up to the reputation.While obviously no chance of the Fuller option in the Merc which was the deal breaker for me between them.With the MAN Fuller installation being as good as it got with excellent shift quality.

While I’d put the Marathon a long way below nearly there in its day and definitely preferred the Foden S 83/85 even with the plastic cab. :wink:

Well, to a certain extent CF has point. I drove F8-cabbed 280 and 281 MANs with 13-speed Fullers in them: they were excellent tools and the gearbox installation was very good. I also drove early F90-cabbed MANs which were equipped with the wonderful Eaton Twin-splitter - again, a constant-mesh gearbox; but you have to remember that the new generation of F90 / F2000 MANs were not offered with Fuller 'boxes as CF suggests. There were rare 13sp-Fuller options in Germany only, as far as my research shows, but no more. In UK the Twin-splitter option was gone by the early '90s. In my experience, all these MAN models were very good lorries. I hope that helps. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I also drove early F90-cabbed MANs which were equipped with the wonderful Eaton Twin-splitter - again, a constant-mesh gearbox; but you have to remember that the new generation of F90 / F2000 MANs were not offered with Fuller 'boxes as CF suggests. There were rare 13sp-Fuller options in Germany only, as far as my research shows, but no more. In UK the Twin-splitter option was gone by the early '90s. In my experience, all these MAN models were very good lorries. I hope that helps. Robert

As it stands I’d have to say that Fraikin at least seems to have specced their 1980’s UK F90’s with 13 speed Fullers.Bearing in mind they were a big Euro based operation with probably buying power muscle in line with that.Unless I’ve unbelievably confused the twin splitter with the range change operation of the 13 speed over the years since I drove it.( Doubtful but possible ).But to my knowledge I’ve never driven a twin splitter and think it would have been impossible to drive a twin split design,as opposed to range change and splitter,without realising/remembering it or remembering it wrong. :open_mouth: :confused: :confused:

Until confirmed otherwise I wouldn’t rule out some seemingly rare ? 13 speed Fuller equipped UK spec F90’s at least ordered by Fraikin in the late 1980’s. :bulb: :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ramone:

Well, to a certain extent CF has point. I drove F8-cabbed 280 and 281 MANs with 13-speed Fullers in them: they were excellent tools and the gearbox installation was very good. I also drove early F90-cabbed MANs which were equipped with the wonderful Eaton Twin-splitter - again, a constant-mesh gearbox; but you have to remember that the new generation of F90 / F2000 MANs were not offered with Fuller 'boxes as CF suggests. There were rare 13sp-Fuller options in Germany only, as far as my research shows, but no more. In UK the Twin-splitter option was gone by the early '90s. In my experience, all these MAN models were very good lorries. I hope that helps. Robert

I think I have mentioned this guy long since in a different thread, so I’ll be brief in the retelling, I knew a man from Freidrichshaven who had six F90 19-402 pulling silos for Schmidt Heilbronn they ranged from 1992 to 1994 the first two definitely had 13 speed fullers the later ones twin-splitters. Now we never had the 402 in the UK, but my recollection is that the 292 and 332 had the twin splitter as standard and Ecosplit as an option whilst the 362 and V10 were ZF only, this doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t have fitted a fuller to request as it was definitely engineered for the chassis. When the F2000 came they were 16 speed synchro only but you had choice of ZF or Eaton. The F8 was Fuller only except for the 361 which came ZF only.

P.S. What have the fantastically well engineered, very reliable, efficient, spacious and comfortable MAN F8 and F90 got to do with Leyland Marathons?

acd1202:
P.S. What have the fantastically well engineered, very reliable, efficient, spacious and comfortable MAN F8 and F90 got to do with Leyland Marathons?

:wink:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=151098&start=60#p2399501

GS OVERLAND:

I was only 22yrs old when I was “upgraded to this Marathon 2, from a Seddon Atkinson 401. Just out of the paint shop, to me it was the Dogs Bokkols…the height of the cab surprised me, almost up there with the mighty Transcon. Considering that it was a Leyland I remember the cab being comfortable and a good ride. Performance was great in my opinion but then again, what did I know at that tender age ! I was tramping up and down the UK for a bit with all sorts of loads, heavy and light. I did enjoy driving the Marathon. Changing gear was easy compared to " mixing paint” in the Seddak. Who remembers the "high-tec " range change switch, attached to the gear lever with a Jubilee clip ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: For me it was a great introduction to Class 1 driving.
Happy Days…
GS

acd1202:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ramone:

I think I have mentioned this guy long since in a different thread, so I’ll be brief in the retelling, I knew a man from Freidrichshaven who had six F90 19-402 pulling silos for Schmidt Heilbronn they ranged from 1992 to 1994 the first two definitely had 13 speed fullers the later ones twin-splitters. Now we never had the 402 in the UK, but my recollection is that the 292 and 332 had the twin splitter as standard and Ecosplit as an option whilst the 362 and V10 were ZF only, this doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t have fitted a fuller to request as it was definitely engineered for the chassis. When the F2000 came they were 16 speed synchro only but you had choice of ZF or Eaton. The F8 was Fuller only except for the 361 which came ZF only.

I dont quite remember them being that good.MAN have always been plagued with weak engines.

Graham, Out of intrest are there any figures for how many were sold in Europe ■■

leyland marathon.png

[While I’d put the Marathon a long way below nearly there in its day and definitely preferred the Foden S 83/85 even with the plastic cab. :wink:
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I dont quite remember them being that good.MAN have always been plagued with weak engines.
[/quote
]

I agree with you 100%. MAN have always had “tender” engines. There is a (false) perception from some people that everything European was and is fantastic, and everything British was rubbish. There was, and is, good and bad points about every truck marque of the 1970s, even Scania and Volvo had their problems. And believe me as someone still involved in the day to day running of them they still give problems. The trouble-free truck has still to be made.

DEANB:
Graham, Out of intrest are there any figures for how many were sold in Europe ■■

If you look through my LHD Leyland Marathons thread, you’ll notice that they seemed quite popular in France (mostly with TL12 plus 9-sp Fuller); which in turn led to substantial sales of the Roadtrain there (with its combination of Rolls 350 and 9-sp Fuller - and there’s a thread dedicated to those too).

Here’s the link to the LHD Marathon thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=121419

Robert

Carryfast:

acd1202:

:wink:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=151098&start=60#p2399501

Arent MAN part of the VW group who have had their reputation tarnished due to putting doctored emissions readings out . We have only kept ours because we cant sell them . They have been at the dealers more often than not and constantly going back there for repeated faults they cant repair. The dealer cant get authorisation from Germany to carry out repairs ,we argue our point then 2 weeks later they agree and authorise . Then we wait another week for the parts