Leyland Lynx

This Leyland Lynx has recently been aquired by a friend of mine and it’s history is a bit vague.
It was apparently being restored at one time but the owner passed away, taking a lot of its history with him. The number plate may not be original, but there was some connection with Bullmer’s Cider in Hereford in the fifties. It is fitted with a Leyland six cylinder petrol engine that starts off the button, has a four speed gearbox and a worm drive axle.
The V5 states that it was first registered in 1984 although leyland ceased production of this model in 1946/7 when it was superseded by the leyland comet.
Can anyone out there help with some history.

Best Regard’s Jamie.

Have you tried the museum at Leyland Lancs,i believe they got a lot of records from factory,they might only be able to tell you first owner but its a start

As it is only a very recent aquisition we have not been able to contact any one else as yet. I don’t think that it has ever been MOT Tested, as there are no signs of any plating or ministry numbers that have been allocated to it.

What would your modern day steering wheel attendant say if they were handed the keys to this truck and sent off to do a weeks work. regards jamie.

Its a 1948 reg as far as Im aware so it would be MOT exempt, Plus its a great bit of gear from Leyland, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, how did you know that it was a 1948 reg. also i have been trying to find out the law on MOT testing without much joy, it is a bit of a minefield, finding out about historic vehicles. regards Jamie

Hi. That’s a Herefordshire registration, so may well have been new to Bulmers. And as it was made before 1960, it’s exempt from MOT as long as it’s used unladen, and regardless of weight it can be driven on a car licence. It needs to be registered in the “historic vehicle” class, then the road tax is free, but you still have to get a tax disc, if you tax it at the Post office you have to produce a signed V112G declaration instead of an MOT certificate. Does the V5 really give the date of first registration as 1984 or was that a typo by you? If the logbook says 1984 it needs sorting, otherwise it won’t qualify for MOT exemption or free tax. And it’s likely it has never been tested, most of the older lorries on the road in 1968 when the HGV testing was introduced were either laid up, scrapped or went into preservation as owners thought rightly or wrongly it would be difficult to get them through a test. My '38 Albion came out of service in the mid-60s, laid around for a while, then passed to me for preservation in 1970, so it’s never been plated or tested.
Bernard

Hi Bernard, thank you for that information regarding plating etc, we did know about the Hereford registration, but we do not know if it is the original plate for the truck, as there was a whisper that the original plates were sold. This is maybe the reason why it was registered again in 1984, although the plate now on the truck is much earlier than 84. The last registered Keeper acquired the vehicle in August 1992 when the V5 states not licensed.
There is a receipt amongst the paperwork from 1958 from Bulmers in Hereford which is a bit vague, whether it is for the complete truck or just for the body. we do know that it has been undergoing restoration off and on for a number of years,but it would be nice to know its history. Best regards Jamie.

As suggested earlier your first task should be to obtain the chassis build sheet from the British Commercial Vehicles Museum at Leyland. Then determine whether it is carrying its original registration number, or a later replacement. In either case you will then need verification of the date of manufacture, and registration number that it is now carrying from a preservation club that is recognised by the DVLA, such as The Leyland Society or the Historic Commercial Vehicle Society. This will save you a load of grief when you attempt to register and tax the Lynx for road use. Even though the annual road fund is “free” you will need to “taX” it every year or declare SORN.

Hi Gingerfold, thanks for your reply. I have just been on the phone to Swansea, to be told more or less what you have just posted. It would appear that there records do not go back as far as we require.So we will have to get confirmation from leyland that we can submit to the DVLA. Thanks again for your input . Best regards Jamie

M&C Jamie:
Hi Larry, how did you know that it was a 1948 reg. also i have been trying to find out the law on MOT testing without much joy, it is a bit of a minefield, finding out about historic vehicles. regards Jamie

I have a book called The register of motor index letters & numbers it cost 7shillings & sixpence in 1949, I wonder how many of these books are still about ■■, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, the other problem we have, is if the lynx has been allocated another age related number, how do we find out as the dvla’s records do’nt go back far enough. With the present system as far as they are concerned, it was first registered in 1984 although they have issued an age related number from 36 years before, it was apparently first registered with them.
This is a typical farce of how our government system fails because of lack of common sense.
I suppose I might as well cancel the new ropes and sheets as i will not be able to start my new contract next week of two trips a week to Edinburgh fruit Market. Oh well Dream on. best regards Jamie.

Hi i HAVE QUITE A BIT OF INFO ON THE lYNX AND i LOOKED AT IT ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO, a FRIEND OF MINE WAS INTERESTED IN PURCHASING IT, HE ACTUALLY OWNED IT IN THE 60S/70S, lOOKING AT ALL THE INFO i HAVE IT SEEMS THE LORRY WAS PURCHASED BY PRAILLS OR BULMERS IN 1947/48, THE CHASSIS NO MAKES IT 1941, IT WAS DEMOBBED AND SET ABOUT BY PRAILLS WHO CHANGED THE RADIATOR ENGINE AND G/BOX, WE THINK THE CAB IS BY DURAMIN , WHO HAD A BRANCH IN THE FOREST OF DEAN BACK THEN, THE PLATFORM BODY IS FROM THE SAME MAKER, i HAVE A FULLY RESTORED DIESEL LYNX AND A HALF RESTORED ARMY PETROL LYNX THE SAME MODEL AS YOURS, WHERE ARE YOU BASED? YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO LOOK AT MY LORRIES AND WE CAN PASS ON THE REST OF THE HISTORY I HAVE ON YOUR LORRY

Hi Lynxman, Thank you very much for your post, It would be very interesting to have a discussion with you or even better to have a meeting. My friend Jeff is the new owner and lives in Cefn Hengoed. I have sent a PM to your friend Yanto to forward my number to you. Best regards Jamie.