Leyland Clydesdale/old skip lorrys

If anyone has any pics of the above, inside and outside, or any tales about these I would be most happy to see them! Thanks!!!

Hi Warren
Here are a couple for you .The first at Peterbourgh a few years ago the second a Wiltshire round of lorry driver of the year even loner ago.
Hope these are OK.

A 9ml spanner was esental kit driving a clydsedale any one remember why?

I was driving for Coopers when they had a Leyland like that, don’t remember the reg. so not sure if it’s the same one, if it is it looks in a lot better nick now than it did then. It was the only small truck they ran at that time, so the poor old girl had a lot to do with all the jobs the bigger one’s couldn’t get into.

Altitude the Coopers picture was then it was taken in the eighties.

Was the spanner for undoing the cab bolts i thought they were larger than that though.

Hi tribsa
That would be the same truck then as when I was there, I never drove it so don’t know what the spanner was for mate, I don’t remember the guy that did drive saying anything about carrying a 9mm, as you said a bit small for cab bolts maybe they had fuel problems and it could have been for a bleed screw or something like that. there’s some good old boy’s on here someone will come up with it.

cheers

John.

Hello,going through the boxes of cuttings I found these. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Just found this in my collection,note the hoveringham connection.

Hi tribsa
In that photo of Coopers Leyland next to it is a Volvo artic, got any full shots of that one? It looks to me like one of I think they were called M&M Transport they had a yard next to a firm called Berite ( not sure about the spelling ) they used to run wood chips out of berites yard, and do grain as well’ they were in Broadway Lane, South Cerney just down the road from Terry Barrys yard ( T.C.Barry & Sons )

cheers

John.

No sorry Altitude thats all there is Jason Dean may have the answer for you but with a south cerny phone number there cant be to many.
Rich

Hi tribsa
Yeah mate i’m sure that’s who owned the Volvo, right paint job and as you said South Cerney phone number. That’s a blast from the past Jason Dean, is he still going? met Jason a couple of times a few years back good lad. Is his dad still running trucks?

cheers

John.

In the Classifieds of a recent Classic/Heritage Commercial mag,there was a company selling a couple of V reg (1979) Leyland Skip wagons that were just out of service.
Can’t remember the operator but the wagons were black with red decals IIRC.

Sorry but I considered all Leyland Clydesdales to be skips. Hated them with a venegance but thinking about them made me appreciate 85 DAFs a bit more when I got lumbered with them! Surely nobody liked those old nails? :question: :question: :unamused:

As no one got it acording to my dad clydsedales were notorious for jamming in gear and you had to undo a 9mm bolt to release it.

kr79:
As no one got it acording to my dad clydsedales were notorious for jamming in gear and you had to undo a 9mm bolt to release it.

A few of our contractors had them and most suffered gear selection problems, usually getting two gears at once!

Pete.