Leyland Beaver / Albion

Found a couple more pictures of foreign registered Beavers.

Always amazes me what you learn off this site. Driven both Beavers and Albion LAD’s, and NEVER knew they did a sleeper version…for export or otherwise…This thread could get even more interesting…keep those pictures coming. :slight_smile:

Hiya just one or two more for you over in Germany

this photo was taken 1st May this year

this was in Zambia Feb 2009

May this year

cyprus 2008

I drove this Albion in 1974

this Albion was brought from Cyprus 6 years ago and is now back in the UK

this Dodge has been owned by mr Arrowsmith all its life and still is working in the UK

Dieseldogsix:

LB76:

Do you know for sure if thats a leyland interior , as it looks like a dodge steering wheel with the wire spokes as opposed to the Leyland and Albion solid ones, also the hand brake looks like the ratchet type, I know there all the same cab, but they did have there little differences and I spent alot of time in all 3 makes in the 60,s, it was always my job to flash everyone in or say thanks as the big round knob in the middle were the lights.

If you look at the pictures and the position of the ignition key on the Kew, that may help

I did more miles than i care to think about in the cab of an Albion SuperSix before i was old enough to drive and i can say that the steering wheel is definately Albion.I dont think they fitted that Leyland steering wheel to Albions (might be wrong)

The first artic i drove was an Albion Supersix for the Tayforth Group in 1969, not sure about the steering wheel ,but i think it was a not a good veh to drive even in these early days.vic.

Believe me Lads its an Albion like this one.either a Clydesdale or Chiefton

Leyland didnt put a spoked steering wheel in any of there LAD models and the Dodge LAD is completely different inside around the dash board and engine compartment bonnet.

Hiya …that YOA 727 has been restored by the same chap who restored the Barlow and Hodgkinson Leyland
4309TR…i don’t know whats next he said he’d do the white short door that was taken in Zambia if i could get
it back.hmmmmmm big job maybe
john

3300John:
Hiya …that YOA 727 has been restored by the same chap who restored the Barlow and Hodgkinson Leyland
4309TR…i don’t know whats next he said he’d do the white short door that was taken in Zambia if i could get
it back.hmmmmmm big job maybe
john

Maurice Fearn is his name John, I worked with him at Ballidon back in the 1970’s before he went to Barlow and Hodgkinson and then later ran his own fleet, and he has made a fine job of both lorries. I was with him on Sunday at the Cauldon Low Rally, good to talk about the “Good old days”. :wink:

Pete.

Hiya, just wondered if that Albion was a 4 or 6 cylinder model? cheers Bill

LB76:
Hiya, just wondered if that Albion was a 4 or 6 cylinder model? cheers Bill

It’s a four potter Bill, was a Luton body on it which protected the cab from rust. It was owned by a Fairground from the Leicestershire area.

Pete.

When i was a lad (years ago) i used to ride up to birmingham market on a friday night and more if i could skive off school the next day, in one of jack richards albions SFL 379 - a super six driven by a mr sam giddens sam used to service this lorry him self as was the way then and was later rewarded with a brand new albion clydesdale (tilt cab) GVE 807 E which covered some 250,000 miles before jack richards upped sticks to norfolk from haddenham. that albion used to fairly sing when it was lifted up into overdrive on the M1 from heyford to the end of the M45, when i came out of the army in 1969 i went to work for jack and got the albion clydesdale artic that arthur jackson had from new GEW 777 D didnt pull that well but it was a lot to expect from a 0.400 Leyland. Great times !