Level D

Afternoon

I’m pretty sure there’s gonna some of you guys can Gimme more on what Level D consists of. Looking online and still trying to figure if it’s a Security thing or cargo handling.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Security. Basically it’s ensuring that the load is not tampered with from collection to delivery point.

Think it’s called CASP now, that’s the third name I’ve known it as in a few years. :unamused:

I’m trying to find about it and I’m getting all sorts of letters and acronyms and very little definite info.
Apparently there are 10 modules

I’ve put drivers through it, not done it recently myself. It’s basically a one day turn up thing, listen to someone, no exams. IIRC drivers have to have 5 year employment history and a basic check.

This suggests that there are 5 modules for the drivers and whilst it say evaluation test, it isn’t an exam.

I’m sounding casual about it because we have all sorts of security stuff going on and Level D/CASP is pretty basic to us but there’s no exemption from having to do it.

Would it be worth doing? Noticed a couple ads recently for various locations

CASP - Cargo Aviation Security Principles, is not the new Level D unless I’m mistaken. I believe this is for regulated agents.

Level D has been replaced by CO - Cargo Operative. One day classroom course, it’s actually quite interesting.

Last time I did mine it was about £80.00 plus VAT. Valid for 2 years unless things have changed, mine has expired at the moment as I’m not on airfreight anymore. You cannot move airfreight without it, it’s mandatory.

EddieMD:

Why not, it opens another door or two to you…

What part of the country are you in?

Londontrucker123:

EddieMD:

I’m in Durham. Looking at it and emailed training place just as I put this post up, got reply saying I need to book through 3rd party (agy), I replied saying g I was looking for info as I wasn’t looking to book without knowing more… Their reply, it’s needed for transporting secure cargo… End of email, needless to say I won’t be contacting them again.
Noticed an ad earlier for Newcastle and seen a couple recently for Manchester and got curios to what it was. Would it pay to have it? Is it a common thing? To be honest I’d never heard of it till recently

EddieMD:

Londontrucker123:

EddieMD:

I’m in Durham. Looking at it and emailed training place just as I put this post up, got reply saying I need to book through 3rd party (agy), I replied saying g I was looking for info as I wasn’t looking to book without knowing more… Their reply, it’s needed for transporting secure cargo… End of email, needless to say I won’t be contacting them again.
Noticed an ad earlier for Newcastle and seen a couple recently for Manchester and got curios to what it was. Would it pay to have it? Is it a common thing? To be honest I’d never heard of it till recently

It could help get in with folks such as Fed Ex, UPS, DHL and the like. I’m sure they must all have a presence of some sort at Newcastle airport or nearby, even if they don’t fly from there, they will trunk down to East Midlands airport for example to meet the cargo flights.

Being told by the training place to book thru an agency is absolute rubbish. Anyone can go and do a Level D course, what training provider would turn business away is beyond me. Tell them where to go… I did mine while I was on supermarket work, didn’t use it for a few months while I did a bit of research as who was good / bad, etc. around the Heathrow scene, but the training company didn’t care, they took my money and I got my certificate in return. Result.

The background check part of it is the employers responsibility, nothing to do with the course or training provider themselves and shouldn’t cost you anything, it is make sure THEY are being compliant with the aviation regulations.

Sounds good, also looking to do online

Yes I hear it can be done online now also. Not sure how it works though.

I was on air-freight for nearly 10 years, some of the easiest work I ever did, but you can end up sitting around for hours sometimes waiting for a shipment to clear customs etc., before the freight will be released to you. But straight easy work and you hardly ever touch the load… Easy peazy

Londontrucker123:
Yes I hear it can be done online now also. Not sure how it works though.

I did mine online last year, you sit infront of your computer clicking a basically a power-point presentation, that some dude as voiced over. With a 20 question test at the end.

Whole thing is 4 hours long, I kinda cheated on mine, and recorded my screen whilst doing it, I can try and upload the clips to somewhere if you are intested

Edit, I did mine online here tsagp.com/online-training You will get emailed a computer generated PDF at the end of it.

Edit 2: I’m uploading Module 7 so you can just see what your getting yourself into doing it online. Will add a link here will need to give it time to reencode or download it, 980MB to watch locally.

Londontrucker123:
The background check part of it is the employers responsibility, nothing to do with the course or training provider themselves and shouldn’t cost you anything, it is make sure THEY are being compliant with the aviation regulations.

Not true, some employers want you to do it, and some will even reburst you the £25 it costs, this can take up to 4 weeks.

Edit on the CRC check point, most employers will only accept on that is 6 weeks old, so if you change firms after this time, you will need to apply for a new one. This is basic rule around MAN.

EddieMD:
I’m pretty sure there’s gonna some of you guys can Gimme more on what Level D consists of. Looking online and still trying to figure if it’s a Security thing or cargo handling.

There is 2 parts of this job, days and nights, Days will consist of doing multidrop/collection work with some clients giving you SPX cargo where you have to seal the truck.

Nights will be manly doing trunks from airport to airport, or delivering the cargo the day lads have brought back into the airlines, main 3 are Dnata, WFS and Swissport, you also got what I call SubAirlines, firms that employ people to take cargo and put them into the airlines the ones that actually get up close to the planes, to name a few AMI, Trilogy, UCH K&N etc firms that can make cargo SPX (known) but don’t have access to airside.

Londontrucker123:
Last time I did mine it was about £80.00 plus VAT. Valid for 2 years unless things have changed as mine has expired at the moment as I’m not on airfreight anymore. You cannot move airfreight without it, it’s mandatory.

I did mine online for £120 (4 hours) rather then waste a Saturday and spend £50, sat in a classroom for 7 hours, It still lasts 2 years. You can move airfright without it, if it is not known cargo(SPX) if you do move known(SPX) cargo, it will need screening again. I’ve done subcontract work for a firm out of MAN to a client and refused to let me take it as known even tho I have levelD, this was at extra expense for the client, they wanted it our that day I was on the only vehicle in the area with space. If you don’t have it, and take SPX (some places don’t check details) no doubt your boss will charge you the cost of screening, at present 8p a kilo in MAN.

^^^^ Good post.

But… you can’t do your own background check, certainly not down here anyway, I mean what would be the point in that?

You provide your employer with your 5 year history, they check it, fill in their internal forms and stick in your personnel file at the office. However, I have been asked the odd time to chase up an old agency or two as they have been verrrry slow to come back to my company verifying dates etc., but policing yourself, no way.

The Disclosure Scotland / £25.00 thing, yes every time I had to get one, I paid for it myself and was then reimbursed the cost. Took it to my employer, was photocopied, put in my file and the original given back to me. Companies seem to vary on accepting the date it was issued, some wouldn’t accept one older than one month, another firm I did on agency at the time was fine as long as it was dated within one year.

Londontrucker123:
^^^^ Good post.

But… you can’t do your own background check, certainly not down here anyway, I mean what would be the point in that?

You provide your employer with your 5 year history, they check it, fill in their internal forms and stick in your personnel file at the office. However, I have been asked the odd time to chase up an old agency or two as they have been verrrry slow to come back to my company verifying dates etc., but policing yourself, no way

My bad, I’ve re read the my qoute from your post, from back ground check I was refuring to the CRC check, firms will make contact with your previous employers to confirm start and end dates, nothing more, and any gaps more then 6 weeks of employment can be covered by letters from the social(DWP) if you was claiming JSA/ESA or a person you have know (for more then a set amount of years, here at MAN it’s 10 years, don’t know how they check that…) and been in contact with for more then 6 weeks.

tommymanc:

Londontrucker123:
^^^^ Good post.

You provide your employer with your 5 year history, they check it, fill in their internal forms and stick in your personnel file at the office. However, I have been asked the odd time to chase up an old agency or two as they have been verrrry slow to come back to my company verifying dates etc., but policing yourself, no way

My bad, I’ve re read the my qoute from your post, from back ground check I was refuring to the CRC check, firms will make contact with your previous employers to confirm start and end dates, nothing more, and any gaps more then 6 weeks of employment can be covered by letters from the social(DWP) if you was claiming JSA/ESA or a person you have know (for more then a set amount of years, here at MAN it’s 10 years, don’t know how they check that…) and been in contact with for more then 6 weeks.

No worries, figured it was just wires crossed…

I’m out of air-freight a few years now, always been on nights, as it was then the set-up was;

5 year work history check
Level D certificate
Disclosure Scotland / Criminal Record Check

Once all that was done, down to the passport booth, supply company with 2 pics, one for your file I suppose, other for your company ID, company issued you with your little badge thing to proudly hang round your neck and away you go, long as you have your other form of ID in your wallet also. I suppose most drivers use their DCPC card these days, seeing as you have to carry it with you anyway…

I’ll have a look at the links you mention, think I might renew mine if can do it online, they email you the certificate as a PDF yes?

Also, just to be clear, I only ever picked up freight that had already been screened, known cargo. That’s what I meant about it being mandatory. I always use the rule of thumb, it’s only ‘airfreight’ after it been screened and cleared to fly, until that time it’s just plain old everyday freight. Cheers.

Londontrucker123:
I’ll have a look at the links you mention, think I might renew mine if can do it online, they email you the certificate as a PDF yes?

i.imgur.com/rqsm1dL.png

You can’ see the file extension in the top of the screen, that’s what mine looks like :smiley: altho my physical copy is black and white, colour printer ink is EXPENSIVE!!!

EDIT, had to reupload image, was showing cert number…

No worries, I didn’t even notice that to be honest.

And good video too, do you have the others?

This just gets more and more interesting as you guys give more info on it. Certainly got my interest now, though I’m on the road and gonna have to wait till I get in the morning to check out links and the like.

Roller bed trailer, can you get it any easier than this :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=VpVTquqbA9U

Raise the back or lower the front, lift up the rollers, shove it on and let it roll. Let the rollers back down an away you go

Londontrucker123:
And good video too, do you have the others?

I do yes, I can’ break them down into modules, tomorrow, and edit out all my procrastinating and share them with you. Early start doing the devils work multi drop into W Yorkshire(■■■■■■■ teacakes?), and run back to man for drop into Wrexham.