Letter from RHA

Anyone else receive this crap? I can’t attach the letter, but full of Boris speak like Build Back Better etc. Hopefully someone can share it if they haven’t already.

Stuff the Tories, you pushed for shortages and chaos.

Stuff the RHA as well

I am not a member of the RHA

Please Sign Urgent Letter to the Prime Minister >
Letter can be viewed here.

The shortage of HGV drivers in the UK continues to be the most challenging issue affecting the haulage industry and I know you will agree that the situation will not improve unless the Government change their approach and work with us to find solutions to this crisis.

In the short-term, we are not going to be able solve this problem by training new drivers. Even with individuals willing to join the sector, the timeframe for training candidates to the required level of competence to ensure they are operationally effective, is a process that will take 12-months and longer in many cases.

The industry needs an immediate solution while we work to address the longer-term solutions. Whilst we are grateful for the Government’s acknowledgement of the driver shortage, the solutions proposed to date, including the 3-month visa, simply do not go far enough to tackle the crisis, support supply chains, and protect the UK economy in the months ahead.

This letter to the Prime Minister sets out several asks to support the short-term interventions that are urgently needed, and we would very much like to include your endorsement for its contents.

You can confirm your permission to include your name, job title and company name on this letter by completing this very short (1 minute) form, by 17.00hrs on Thursday 14th October.

We hope you will recognise the immediate challenges facing our sector and limited options available to solve them in the short term.

Many thanks for your continued support of the RHA and its tireless efforts to the support the industry.

Regards,

Richard Burnett
Chief Executive
RHA
22 Greencoat Place, Westminster, London, London, SW1P 1PR
Tel: 01733 261131
Copyright in this message and any attachments remains with us. It is confidential and may be legally privileged. If this message is not intended for you it must not be read, copied or used by you or disclosed to anyone else. Please advise the sender by e-mail immediately if you think you may have received this message in error. This message and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, but it is the responsibility of any recipients to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by RHA for any loss or damage in any way arising from it. Road Haulage Association Ltd t/a RHA, Bretton Way, Peterborough PE3 8DD. Registered in England number 391886.
Please consider the environment before printing this email

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

List of members
rha.uk.net/Portals/0/News/P … 163949-737

And if you would like to meet the team

rha.uk.net/About/Our-Team

Darkside:
Anyone else receive this crap? I can’t attach the letter, but full of Boris speak like Build Back Better etc. Hopefully someone can share it if they haven’t already.

Stuff the Tories, you pushed for shortages and chaos.

Stuff the RHA as well

I am not a member of the RHA

Please Sign Urgent Letter to the Prime Minister >
Letter can be viewed here.

The shortage of HGV drivers in the UK continues to be the most challenging issue affecting the haulage industry and I know you will agree that the situation will not improve unless the Government change their approach and work with us to find solutions to this crisis.

In the short-term, we are not going to be able solve this problem by training new drivers. Even with individuals willing to join the sector, the timeframe for training candidates to the required level of competence to ensure they are operationally effective, is a process that will take 12-months and longer in many cases.

The industry needs an immediate solution while we work to address the longer-term solutions. Whilst we are grateful for the Government’s acknowledgement of the driver shortage, the solutions proposed to date, including the 3-month visa, simply do not go far enough to tackle the crisis, support supply chains, and protect the UK economy in the months ahead.

This letter to the Prime Minister sets out several asks to support the short-term interventions that are urgently needed, and we would very much like to include your endorsement for its contents.

You can confirm your permission to include your name, job title and company name on this letter by completing this very short (1 minute) form, by 17.00hrs on Thursday 14th October.

We hope you will recognise the immediate challenges facing our sector and limited options available to solve them in the short term.

Many thanks for your continued support of the RHA and its tireless efforts to the support the industry.

Regards,

Richard Burnett
Chief Executive
RHA
22 Greencoat Place, Westminster, London, London, SW1P 1PR
Tel: 01733 261131
Copyright in this message and any attachments remains with us. It is confidential and may be legally privileged. If this message is not intended for you it must not be read, copied or used by you or disclosed to anyone else. Please advise the sender by e-mail immediately if you think you may have received this message in error. This message and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, but it is the responsibility of any recipients to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by RHA for any loss or damage in any way arising from it. Road Haulage Association Ltd t/a RHA, Bretton Way, Peterborough PE3 8DD. Registered in England number 391886.
Please consider the environment before printing this email

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Not sure why you say stuff the Tories,it might be your political agenda BUT from what I have read and heard Boris is putting the onus of the shortage of Drivers and workforce firmly down to Companies and the RHA `s reliance on poor working conditions and cheap EEU labour.

Co-signed by:
John Williams, Executive Chairman, Maritime Transport
Steve Granite, CEO, Abbey Logistics Group
David Pickering, CEO, Eddie Stobart
James Wroath, CEO, Wincanton
Thomas Van Mourik, CEO, Culina Group
Dan Myers, Managing Director, XPO Logistics
Paul Bennell, Managing Director, Samworth Brothers Supply Chain
Andrew Malcolm, CEO, The Malcolm Group
Mark Johnson, National Customs & Trade Control Director, KUEHNE + NAGEL
Andrew Howard, Managing Director, P C Howard
Kate Lester, Founder and CEO, Diamond Logistics Group
Lesley O’Brien OBE, Director, Freightlink Europe
Ian Wright CBE, Chief Executive, Food and Drink Federation
Richard Harrow, Chief Executive, British Frozen Food Federation
James Bielby, CEO, Federation of Wholesale Distributors
Shane Brennan, CEO, Cold Chain Federation
Emma McClarkin, Chief Executive, British Beer and Pub Association
Nick Allen, CEO, British Meat Producers Association
Angus Blundell, Marketing Director, Certas Energy UK
Mark Garner, Marketing Director, SNAP
James Anthony French MBE, Managing Director, Road to Logistics

Am I reading this right? This is a letter to RHA members, asking for support for the RHA’s begging letter for more cheap foreign drivers to be let in, for at least a year. Note that thee is plenty of waffle that it takes a year to train up a new driver, but nothing about telling the DVLA to pull its finger out to get drivers back on the road, or a temp suspension of the DCPC to get drivers with a current licence, back on the road now. Just continued whining for more cheap foreign drivers…

■■■■■

Jaxo:
Co-signed by:

The very same people who for years spearheaded the race to the bottom.
If any drivers signed this then you are a brain dead moron.

Jaxo:
Co-signed by:
James Wroath, CEO, Wincanton please drive class one my lorry full of bricks from wienerberger for 8£ h. fak u.

I recognize all these names… They are the ones responsible for your minimum wage package.

I dont like boris, i think the guy is a moron, but i agree with his stance… It is up to a company to attact workers, not the goverment.

ffs, capatilism at its best. the annoying thing about that list is the belief that they represent us/you as drivers… :unamused: … self loving 2 hats… :imp:

the nodding donkey:
Note that thee is plenty of waffle that it takes a year to train up a new driver, but nothing about telling the DVLA to pull its finger out to get drivers back on the road

Also nothing from Boris telling the industry to remove the ‘experience’ requirement in their job ads.In fact make it illegal to ask for it.Only way to get the ‘experience’ is to get a start doing the job and they are saying that the ‘experienced’ driver pool is retiring anyway.

Dan ze Man:
I dont like boris, i think the guy is a moron, but i agree with his stance… It is up to a company to attact workers, not the goverment.

I would not be at all surprised to see him do a u-turn on this in the end, when the public start blaming drivers and abattoir workers for ‘ruining their Christmas’ he will look for the most popular route and allow immigration again, calling it ‘limited’ but in reality we can only guess what that means…

Did the OP receive the letter as a driver or as a company? The RHA aren’t stupid enough to contact drivers directly - are they!.

tallyman:
I would not be at all surprised to see him do a u-turn on this in the end, when the public start blaming drivers and abattoir workers for ‘ruining their Christmas’ he will look for the most popular route and allow immigration again, calling it ‘limited’ but in reality we can only guess what that means…

I have said all along this is what will happen. Get your pay rises in now before the u-turn happens!

Funny - Im certain almost everyone of those CEOs and whoever are lifelong raging tories - thet must be spewing that they cant get cheap labour!

tallyman:

Dan ze Man:

Did the OP receive the letter as a driver or as a company? The RHA aren’t stupid enough to contact drivers directly - are they!.

Yeah its almost certain he will u turn - he has to make some noise about it cos hes just spent 5 years claiming “stand on our own”. But as soon as he thinks hes performed enough he will ■■■■ and roll over like my old girlfriend.

Unless he is convinced no EEs will come back anyway - which they wont.

Jaxo:
Co-signed by:

Great, thanks for the list, will get started asking each of them for a job.

What a stupid letter ,for new drivers the hoops are many and the rewards …still jobs on artic tippers £ 10 per hour are not very good , It is all very well bleating on about getting people from abroad to work here but do they not read the papers …gas up electric up lots of new taxes to pay shortage of houses ,food banks,need new car to drive into town unless you use public transport after you have done your 15 hour spread that finished you at 4 am RHA get your blinkers off

Time for that lot to put their hands in their pockets and start financing at least 500 truckstops with decent facilities. Johnson has already hinted at it. So which ones refuse to pay for parking at the moment?

cav551:
Time for that lot to put their hands in their pockets and start financing at least 500 truckstops with decent facilities. Johnson has already hinted at it. So which ones refuse to pay for parking at the moment?

Do we need better parking and facilities? Yes, definitely.
Is it hauliers responsibility? Hmm, not so sure. The "free-market" model obviously isnt providing what the country needs, so needs some jiggling about with. If companies can`t turn a profit on such then it is up to a responsible Gov to change the rules: be it tax breaks, planning changes, land made available, Gov DOES have job to do, not just say “sort it yourselves”.

I honestly cant see how the parking situation can now be sorted. Obviously i have never done tramping. However, trying to find somewhere to have a 30 min break near food is not easy sometimes so i can only imagine what it must be like trying to find somewhere for 9 hours minimum.

However to provide a reasonable service with security clean toilets/showers and food someone has to pay for it. The drivers shouldnt have to as they are “forced” to be out away from home with the nature of the job. the companies wont pay for it unless it suits them so that only leaves the gov/local councils ie joe public and belive me they wont be happy paying for it either.

This is of course assuming you can acctualy find the land and absorbe the cost of building the place and get the acsess

lolipop:
Not sure why you say stuff the Tories,it might be your political agenda BUT from what I have read and heard Boris is putting the onus of the shortage of Drivers and workforce firmly down to Companies and the RHA `s reliance on poor working conditions and cheap EEU labour.

Because if you read the letter, I will try to upload it, you will see the phrases that only Boris Johnson uses like ‘Build Back Better’.
This will the document that brings on the U turn, when we should let the country fail so the Tories are never in office ever again.
The letter does say do not share but I may forget to read that bit.

Lollipop you have read and heard about Johnson’s love of drivers from the wrong sources.

the nodding donkey:
Am I reading this right? This is a letter to RHA members, asking for support for the RHA’s begging letter for more cheap foreign drivers to be let in, for at least a year. Note that thee is plenty of waffle that it takes a year to train up a new driver, but nothing about telling the DVLA to pull its finger out to get drivers back on the road, or a temp suspension of the DCPC to get drivers with a current licence, back on the road now. Just continued whining for more cheap foreign drivers…

[zb]

Yes mate, I am unsure why I got it as I have been critical of the RHA to their faces in the past. Whether it was just a mail shot to TMs I don’t know.

Go back 6 months, anything? anywhere? from Johnson (or any other Tories) about underpaid lorry drivers and poor working conditions?
Or is it that someone has seen a passing bandwagon and jumped on it?
Any shortages before Christmas blamed on greedy drivers by the press will soon see a change.
I doubt this new “love affair” will last long.