lets speculate

im drawing a blank on this one so we will have to make stuff up :laughing:

tesco have a notice in the transport office asking for anyone who has or has had ADR to let them know. i did ask a few people including supervisors but no one knows why. what the hell would they be interested in ADR for at an RDC? :confused:

maybe they want drivers for their petrol tankers?
we used to load containers in magor many years ago with deodorants and such like which were flammable products but in limited quantities?
or maybe they just want to start selling an even wider range of products like pool chemicals and fence treatments :laughing:

just tell them you had your adr. then they’ll tell you what it’s all about.
if they tell you it’s confidential, then tell them they are untrustworthy, and bid them good day.

Fireworks delivery maybe?

Their Agency(monarch) advertises for fuel tanker drivers so maybe its got something to do with them.

Why would they advertise had ADR though as if you haven`t did a refresher course in five years you do it from scratch anyway.

I would hazard a guess it is to do with the driver CPC, using this as a part of the 35 hours, How else are a supermarket going to make a training manual out of a postage stamp.

Wait there, now put it on ramp 74, wait here, now wait there, park over there, and wait here :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll chuck in a 2p worth, and I suspect I know a possible answer because I’ve dealt with a similar scenario before…

The one I recently dealt with went like this:
One of the boss’ mates overheard a conversation in a pub and it got him wondering,… then he mentioned it to the boss…
The boss then asked another mate at the golf course, who thought he’d heard somewhere that the drivers need ADR for carrying fireworks, firelighters, bleach and the other hazardous/dangerous goods that his company sells/transports. Back at the office, the boss asks a junior office bod to research the question, then he/she got all kinds of nonsense from a ‘Google’ type search.

In the end and by a circuitous route, I get asked the question. It then takes me about ten mins on the phone to tell them they’re exempt. :grimacing: :stuck_out_tongue:

So, for anybody who needs to know, the answers are:
Fireworks in boxes that are labelled “1.4S” can be carried in any quantity without the need for an ADR licence. (The driver must be ADR ‘aware’ though.)

The dangerous goods that supermarkets sell (hair-dye, paint, turpentine, wood stain, varnish, laquer, nail polish remover, various aerosols, insecticide, weedkiller, fertiliser, firelighters and solid fuel for portable cookers [amongst lots of other things]) are usually packaged in Limited Quantities, so any quantity can be carried. (End of discussion. :wink: )

Boxes/tubs that have just an orange square as a label [eg. with a cross or flame etc as the marking] don’t count as ‘dangerous’ (because they are ONLY hazardous) can also be carried in any quantity, so this time NONE OF ADR APPLIES simply because the goods aren’t legally counted as ‘dangerous.’ A good example of this kind of marking is the one found on your household bleach or toilet cleaner. :wink:

TBF though, the supermarkets probably already know the above, because they ask the manufacturer to package their goods for retail sale so as to be exempt from ADR. ( :bulb: That’s the whole idea of Limited Quantities :wink: )
The manufacturers need to have a DGSA, in order that they get correct advice on the way that consignments are packaged so as to be legally exempt from ADR.

So my real guess at this question is that somebody might have heard that an ADR refresher course will count as 7hrs towards a periodic driver CPC as from September and they’re wondering who they might be able to send. In with all the confusion surrounding the periodic driver CPC, somebody might have got their wires crossed and the real answer might be a bit of both of the above, so who knows? :grimacing:

I tend to agree with Wheel Nut’s comment for now, but the real answer will be interesting though… :smiley:

I was thinking of weedkillers too.

toby1234abc:
I was thinking of weedkillers too.

The size of weedkiller you get in supermarkets/diy places are in small packages and you can carry loads of them. Bit more industrial/agricultural in 20ltr drums then you dont need many to require ADR, roughly one pallet 32 drums of glyphosate takes you into orange board terratory.

limeyphil:
just tell them you had your adr. then they’ll tell you what it’s all about.

i did tell them but no one knew. it expired 7 years ago so i dont see what use that would be anyway but there is no specification on how long ago you had it not that it would matter. if its expired, tough. full course again including the basic modules.
the closest thing i got to information was someone saying its probably for their own drivers.
with this being a near enough brand new RDC, why would they suddenly decide to bring fuel tankers in? surely they would have considered that before they built it? then again, maybe not since the place is under constant repair due to shoddy materials and the fact that it was rushed :unamused: