Lets have some comments please grrrrrr

shortfatbaldbloke:

Koop:
Its the “idiots” who don’t/wont back off for a few seconds to let the faster (ish) lorry pass, Arrogant lorry drivers cause problems!! :imp:

Yes i am a lorry driver, and when another truck wants to pass i let him, makes life that much easier.

Me too. :smiley:

And I drive a tipper :stuck_out_tongue:

well we have no need to back off for a tipper driver as they all have nitrous oxide tanks fitted under the passanger seat MMTM and they just press a red button on the steering wheel :exclamation: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

let the asses brae

jessicas dad:

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) claimed that HGVs overtaking other lorries and blocking both lanes of the A12 were not only causing congestion but also delaying emergency vehicles trying to reach accidents.

yes lets roll this crap arguement out again :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: for goodness sake trying to win an arguement on the emergancy services back. i am pretty sure that every driver i know if they saw the flashing blue lights in their mirrors would give way by any means possible to let the emergancy vehicle through :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

only ever seen it once, was m11 i think. was following 2 artics one was overtaking the other, ambulance came screaming up the o/s lane and came to these 2 trucks, truck in lane 2 was 3/4 past other artic but artic in lane 1 kept his speed , artic in lane 2 indicated but artic in lane 1 would not budge for what seemed like ages. i had backed off incase artic in lane 2 pulled back, either lane 1 artic didnt see the ambulance or he was very persistant :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: .

I haven’t yet seen a truck blocking the path of an emergency service vehicle, but have seen plenty of cars holding them up as they just have to pass that one last car before pulling in :unamused:

perhaps it’s time the speed limits were given a rethink, we all know 100mph is the new 70 for cars so why not up trucks speed limits to 70 and cars to 100 and we’ll all get to our destinations quicker :laughing: :laughing:

Koop:
'…It’s the “idiots” who don’t/wont back off for a few seconds to let the faster (ish) lorry pass, Arrogant lorry drivers cause problems!

Yes I am a lorry driver, and when another truck wants to pass i let him, makes life that much easier…’

Maybe here’s me wrongly thinking that charity begins at home - which I’d delay getting to whilst on the nearside lane getting a working day done as I ■■■■-dance around on the maxed-out cruise control by laying my cloak down over puddles for others to pee on?

Grayham:
I haven’t yet seen a truck blocking the path of an emergency service vehicle, but have seen plenty of cars holding them up as they just have to pass that one last car before pulling in :unamused:

perhaps it’s time the speed limits were given a rethink, we all know 100mph is the new 70 for cars so why not up trucks speed limits to 70 and cars to 100 and we’ll all get to our destinations quicker :laughing: :laughing:

some hgv’s already cruise at that speed as a matter of course :exclamation: :wink: , if that was the case “they” would have to suffer an even bigger limiter malfunction…aint that right limeyphil :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I also use this road on a regular basis 4 or 5 times a week.
Let them do what they want, of all the legislation that is in place, I cant think of any that works all the time for everyone, I do what I want, I even use the third lane on motorways as I need to.....Oh aint I just the bad driver :unamused: , no actually I do it to avoid congestion and as an aid to safety when I see fit to do so...I manage my drive, I do not just drive. Bring on more rules, I shall take as much notice as I do now :unamused: Rules made by people who have no idea and dont even do the job, they can all shove it as far as I am concerned :unamused: I am bored with rules as much as I am bored with the lack of solidarity in this industry, it is not an industry, it is a joke.

if they do ban trucks from over taking it’ll just mean we’ll all travel at the speed of the slowest truck mean cars will struggle to enter and exit the a12. though i can see some logic to it during rush hour i felt really guilty over taking for several miles on the m11 this morning but i was in a rush lol

Mr B:
if they do ban trucks from over taking it’ll just mean we’ll all travel at the speed of the slowest truck mean cars will struggle to enter and exit the a12. though i can see some logic to it during rush hour i felt really guilty over taking for several miles on the m11 this morning but i was in a rush lol

oh so that’s why cambridgeshire police had initiated phase one of operation stack at cambridge services :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Grayham:

I don’t believe that is the reason.
It’s more like - the truck driver sees it in the mirrors well before it reaches them and car drivers do see them… when the blue lighter is right up their jack !!

Just ban all trucks from every road in the uk, simple, see how long it would last!! :grimacing: if all stood together things may change but while some wont will they, whats the point in this!! as they will do what they please anyway,never mind us, :imp: :imp:

I recently went down the A12 on a Saturday in my car, there were very few trucks on the road, but I still found it difficult to get much over 50mph. (and no I haven’t got a Relient Robin :laughing: ) There wasn’t even much traffic. The problem was caused by cars not returning to lane 1 when it was clear. Even in the 3 lane bits they didn’t even move to lane 2 but stayed on the outside.

Maybe I should post this in papers comment column. Bye see you in a short while :smiley:

It will make it worse, the lorry drivers wont let the car drivers from lane 2 into lane 1 so they can exit, so the cars will slow right down in lane 2 trying to find a gap to get into lane 1 therefore creating a worse problem than a lorry overtaking another lorry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Even when I am travelling on a single carriageway at 40mph I often go round a roundabout to let others pass. It only takes a few seconds and keeps the traffic moving.
[/quote]
Maybe its you then DieselDemon that goes round the Diss Golf Course Rounabout On The A143 To Let Me Past At Night…If So Thanks…I Always Find That The Asda Motors Will Try And Let You By On That Bit Of Road Unlike Some Of The Others…And I Know Its A 40mph Limit…But Needs Must…Chicken Has A Short Shelf Life You Know :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

what need to happen is that if councils come up with silly idea’s like banning trucks in lanes, there need to lose some money from there small budgets as penalty and give it to the council the truck would have to use to avoid said ban, also there have to foot the bill for all the signs and all the administration to processes all the fines and contribute to the small business in the area’s effected by said ban as goods that those so called council need to survive.

it make me stick that all the trouble with the road is the trucks fault, well i don’t think so there would not have the road if it was not for trucks, there would not be eating the toast in the morning or have a cup of tea, the truck is a tool to do the job,

IMHO it the driver that gives the truck the bad name by not letting the other trucks by i little consideration goes a hell of a long way in my book if,

if you out and about to day just give thought to others when looking in your mirrors there mite be quicker than you but there’s no need to race them let them by it there life let them get on with it, look at it this way if a truck does overtake you be please to the fact that that truck is your buffer as to what mite happen in front and you get home to day and there may not cos rushing to do a job is and will always be dangerous and stressful, you don’t get paid enough to do that

there are irresponsible hgv and car drivers. so why tar everyone with the same brush?
when it’s busy, i don’t bother overtaking, unless i can do so within a very short time.
the driver in the outside lane always gets the flack. but the driver in lane one is also responsible. car drivers included. they are the worst for accelorating when a truck tries to get past. then they sit in your blindspot.
if the conditions are right, then the limiter comes of anyway. :wink:

why on earth would a car driver think it’s ok to be travelling at 70mph on the a12 at busy times? :unamused:

i think a trial ban for one month would be good. no one would be able to join the a12 from the slip roads, as we won’t be allowed to pull out to lane two. loads of carnage.

why can’t these people live close to where they work?
is it trendy to commute? i thought that was an 80’s yuppie thing. like filofax’s.

att:
‘… I am bored with the lack of solidarity in this industry, it is not an industry, it is a joke …’

The industry, like society has been divided & thus conquered into subordination. I challenge you to accept the success of this insideous political ambition by listening to the objections when Broon (& before him, Bliar) spout off about how good ‘diversity’ is supposed to be. I have never heard it openly challenged since ordinary, normal & reasonable objectors are negatively tarred, ie, such as racist, etc. Our mute acceptance of ‘diversity’ has successfully choked us into submission.

Ironically, whilst ‘we’ didn’t directly vote for it - diversity appeared and is widely accepted within our vocabulary because many of us associated the fun notion of diversity as being, I suggest, having different types of foreign food from take-aways (kebab, curry, pizza, etc) and taking throw-away holidays where they drop donkeys from church towers (Spain) or accepting male ■■■■ ■■■ with young boys as being acceptable (Turkey). Incidentally, which radically diverse country is next in the queue to join the EU - which we can now do nothing about?

Meanwhile, in reality it seems to have corroded our nation - to include the ambivalence & hostility regarding road behaviour & our workplace as att implies - more than it contributes to any time-served UK native’s standard of life - unless they’re here to ponce off UK taxes or build gopping buildings with minarettes & separate entrances for women whilst breeding to expand their undemocratic empire, etc.

Just a thought…

This subject has come up on several occasions so I thought others might be interested to read the Email reply I recieved when I asked the Highways Agency to produce the results of their time trials on the Northamptonshire stretches of the A14 which has resulted in a permanent
overtaking ban in the area.

Please note that the results were inconclusive but we still got a ban :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

I refer to your email to the Highways Agency Information Line dated 21 December regarding the HGV restriction along the A14 in Northamptonshire.

In June 2006, as part of the Highways Agency’s strategy to tackle congestion, Ministerial approval was given for the introduction of a trial restricting HGVs from overtaking between the hours of 6am and 8pm on a 3.2km length of the eastbound carriageway of the A14 in Northamptonshire and on a 2.4km westbound length. The scheme for the A14 was promoted to see whether restricting HGVs to the nearside lane when travelling up gradients could improve journey times.

The results from the post-opening evaluation (a copy of this report is enclosed as requested) show that the average journey-times for westbound traffic improved across all time periods for both non-HGVs and HGVs. For eastbound traffic, journey times for both non-HGV and HGVs were similar to before the trial, except in March/April 2008 at the end of the trial when there was an improvement indicating a possible change in the trend.

The average time-savings are relatively small as they are reported over the short length of the trial. However, they do not reflect the perceived improved journey experience for non-HGV drivers, as slow-moving HGVs are less likely to manoeuvre and overtake using lane two.

It is considered that Highways Agency’s objective of improving journey times is sufficient to justify the trial being made permanent and a Traffic Regulation Order restricting lorries to lane two of the trialled section of A14 was implemented on 2 October 2008.

The Highways Agency has consulted with the Road Haulage Association and the Freight Transport Association throughout the scheme.

I hope this information has been of some use to you but if I can be of further assistance then please contact me. Alternatively you may wish to contact the Route Performance Manager for this section of the A14, Paul Sinfield. Paul can be contacted by email on paul.sinfield@highways.gsi.gov.uk or on 01234 796135. However please be aware that Paul is currently out of the office until 5 January 2009.

Kindest regards

, Route Performance Administrator - Area 8
Highways Agency | Woodlands | Manton Lane | Bedford | MK41 7LW
Tel : +44 (0) 1234 796071

1. Conclusions

2. In terms of eastbound traffic:

o AM Peak: Overall journey-times for non-HGVs have reduced across all four surveys when compared to the situation prior to the implementation of the journey-time trial. Journey-time savings are up to 15 seconds. The journey-time for HGVs have increased (in all but the final survey, during which it decreased by 4 seconds) by up to 15 seconds in the first three quarters.
o Off Peak: Average journey-times for non-HGVs during the off peak period have generally increased by between 1 and 16 seconds. A similar situation has been recorded for HGVs with average journey-time increases of between 3 and 11 seconds. The March/ April 2008 survey does not follow this trend as it shows a decrease of up to 10 seconds.
o PM Peak: Negligible change for non-HGVs with a slight increase in journey time of up to 2 seconds but in the final survey a decrease of 17 seconds. The results indicate an increase in average journey-times for HGVs by some 8 - 22 seconds in the first three surveys, but a decrease of 4 seconds in the final quarter.

1. Overall the results would tend to indicate that the Experimental TRO has not offered any major improvement in terms of average journey-time for traffic travelling eastbound. The results generally suggest that both non-HGV and HGVs experienced increased journey-times relative to before the Experimental TRO came into force in the first three quarters but in the latest survey it shows an improvement.

2. In terms of westbound traffic:

o AM Peak: In common with the eastbound traffic, overall journey-times for non-HGVs have reduced across all four surveys when compared with the ‘Before’ situation, with average journey-time savings of between 4 and 21 seconds. The relative average journey-time for HGVs has also improved with a journey-time saving of up to 10 seconds.
o Off Peak: The off-peak results also indicate journey-time improvements for non-HGV traffic of between 8 and 20 seconds. HGVs also show an improvement although the impact is marginal. The results show reductions of up to 11 seconds.
o PM Peak: The situation for non-HGVs broadly matches the AM peak with an average journey-time saving of between 9 and 22 seconds. This saving is also found for HGVs where the results indicate a decrease in average journey-times by some 6 - 20 seconds.

1. Overall the results would indicate that the Experimental TRO has offered some improvement in terms of average journey-time saving for traffic travelling westbound across all time periods, for both Non-HGVs and HGVs alike.

2. The Police have operational difficulties with enforcement, as there is a lack of lay-bys to pull a vehicle over to deal with an offence. They have raised the issue of the difficulties drivers may face seeing the signs, as they can be obscured by larger vehicles in lane one, however the existing signing is in excess of standards on the instruction of HA (SSR). They have asked if one or more of the journey-time trials are made permanent then the number and location of signs should be reviewed, but it is considered there could be constraints, which would not permit any further enhancement.

3. In spite of limited enforcement the restrictions have generally been complied with and there is no evidence that an increased risk of accidents has resulted.

4. The improved journey-times could however be accompanied by a related increase in average speed. While this is an possible outcome of providing less congested conditions, it might be accompanied by increased potential for some drivers to approach the legal speed limit or exceed it.

5. Although the average journey-time-saving highlighted by the surveys can be considered to be relatively small in most cases, the numerical values are unlikely to reflect potential benefits in terms of improved journey experience for some Non-HGV drivers as the restriction should reduce significantly slow moving HGVs manoeuvring and overtaking using lane two.

6. The likelihood of increased HGV convoys in lane one may encourage some non-HGV drivers previously content to follow at an equivalent speed in lane one to alter their driving behaviour and use lane two. The Police have commented on the fact that significant numbers of heavy goods vehicles use the A14 and a fair proportion can be in the abnormal category in terms of weight, which could cause longer convoys of HGVs and also encourage more non-HGV drivers to overtake.

I am sorry this is a bit long winded but the complete report is about 20 pages long

Annitram