Lessons approaching fast..... already feeling nervous

Well my lessons for C are approaching quick time!, starting to feel nervous about them, as I’m afraid it took me a few times to pass my car test.

Good luck with your training. I haven’t even booked mine yet and I feel nervous :smiley: :smiley: :open_mouth:

If it’s any comfort I took 3 attempts to pass my car test but did both my C and C+E first time.

Passed my car test on the 3rd attempt. Passed my motorcycle and LGV C both 1st time. 23 years after my car test for motorcycle licence and 26 years after for my LGV C, so I reckon I had acquired some good roadcraft in that time, so I found it was just getting used to something different…You should have most of the required skill already.

Hopefully true guys and cheers for the replies… I’ve got 1:1 training, 3 days at 9-4:30 4th day is 08:30 start and test in pm.

So I reckon with those days added up that I’ve got around 25 hours training less break and lunch times.

I passed my car test first time-no problems. Passed my motorcycle test first time-no problems. Fork lift (Reach and Counterbalance)-no problems.

Class 2-failed 1st time cos I touched a kerb. Failed for the second time with a build up of 4 minors on appropriate speed. Failed a 3rd time cos the examiner said I didn’t see a truck turning right into the junction that I was turning left into(even though I immediately said I was continuing my progress and he would have been no where near me as I was carrying speed and he was turning from stationary!).

Binned the training provider and went with another training firm. Got told that the female examiner I was saddled with twice was a pain in the arse and I was by no means the only victim!! 4th test-■■■■■■ it easily!!! Different examiner and test route.

Point is past success is no guarantee of future success.

Also past failure is no guarantee of future failure. Trainers all know what they are talking about; Get the listening ears on and you will be fine!!

Biggest advice I think anyone can give you is just stay calm and take your time dont rush for no one.

Don’t think of it as a test. Its not. Your just upgrading your license. The whole marking standard is a lot more relaxed than it is for cars. Your already a driver.
Enjoy

Do not compare the LGV test with the car test as they are very different

The biggest difference is that you are a driver this time around - that is why there are no dual controls

ROG:
Do not compare the LGV test with the car test as they are very different

• that is why there are no dual controls

My MAN has (footbrake) but it was designed to be a training truck it also has minimum specification to make life easy as possible for the student.

Paul :smiley:

My MAN has (footbrake) but it was designed to be a training truck it also has minimum specification to make life easy as possible for the student.

Familiar with the style of vehicle as I had one for a short time as a stop gap whilst waiting for another new one to arrive. Never used the footbrake as a professional instructor will never put the candidate in that position.

Surely auto is the “new” minimum spec?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
that is why there are no dual controls

My favourite subject. Differences between learning to drive trucks in the UK and France. Here trucks for learners have to be fitted with dual controls :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Familiar with the style of vehicle as I had one for a short time as a stop gap whilst waiting for another new one to arrive. Never used the footbrake as a professional instructor will never put the candidate in that position.

Doesn’t surprise me you try and be little my training vehicle compared to yours. It does the job well that it’s designed to.

I have only had to use the footbrake once but it’s handy to have with a nervous novice student and can give them confidence in the early stages of training knowing I can stop the vehicle. My Atego hasn’t got this extra.

Regarding my comment on the minimum spec this is based on size and weight not gear configuration.

Paul. Just a bit paranoid there! No attempt to belittle anything.

Peter Smythe:
Paul. Just a bit paranoid there! No attempt to belittle anything.

Peter I did use the words"minimum specification" which to me has nothing to do with the gear configuration, for some reason you mentioned it.

Peter Smythe:

Yes but only for trainers who don’t have the ability or skill to train people efficiently in a manual vehicle.

tachograph:

Peter Smythe:

Yes but only for trainers who don’t have the ability or skill to train people efficiently in a manual vehicle.

I never found training to use the gears the hard part - teaching trainees to deal safely with various situations was usually the hardest bit

only for trainers who don’t have the ability or skill to train people efficiently in a manual vehicle.

I’ve seen some threads derailed - but this one is surely the winner!

As for the little snide comment above, just because it’s law to be able to use auto doesn’t mean that trainers using autos are suddenly incapable of training on manual. For ourselves, we spend a similar amount of time training on both auto and manual so I believe we haven’t lost the “ability or skill” required.

Whether or not auto should be allowed or is a good idea - that’s another subject altogether.

Peter Smythe:
As for the little snide comment above

There was nothing snide about it at-all, it was you who brought up the subject of training in aut’s no-one else did.

Truce?

:laughing: :laughing: