Lesser known or under rated Guitarists

There have been some really great guitarists in the rock etc world many of whom are just simply under rated. I’ll start off with someone most have probably never heard of: - Roy Buchanan who seems to leave the audience spellbound and then the background playing of Gary Richrath which is probably better appreciated in the isolated track cover.

youtube.com/watch?v=swX9oq6TVAU

youtube.com/watch?v=mnSgEAQ-x-M

youtube.com/watch?v=KbgdFv3km4k

Steve Jones.
Voted 97th best guitarist of all time.

youtu.be/PDN3tAb-vbY

Not lesser known, certainly not under rated, but my fave all time guitarist .
(Ex).Bon Jovi guitarist the great Richie Sambora. :sunglasses:
(Skill kicks in at 2 23 secs. :sunglasses: )
youtu.be/SRvCvsRp5ho

Here playing his own version of the same Bon Jovi track (and my ringtone :smiley: )
youtu.be/31of3yAg1gQ

However still think JBJ does it with better vocals. :smiley:

Roy Buchanan was incredible - my fave solo of his is probably “My baby says she’s gonna leave me”. Someone asked him how he could play with so much fire yet look so calm and he said “Because I’m screaming inside”.

Tommy Bolin - amazing mix of hard rock/blues and jazz with tremendous flair and passion.

Rory Gallagher - when Rory was 23 on his first couple of albums I’ve never heard anyone better. Check out the new mix of “Used to be”.

Jesse Ed Davies too.

Aerosmith’s Joe Perry.
Saw him supporting Free with his then band The Joe Perry Project.
Played Walk this way live.

Adrian Belew
Who? I hear you say? Worked with both David Bowie and Frank Zappa many years ago.
youtube.com/watch?v=O_kk8mGqBj8

Also anyone who ever played guitar for Zappa (eg Steve Vai) you didn’t get a gig with FZ unless you were the mutt’s nuts.

I tried to learn to play the guitar twice now,but I found it almost impossible to learn,very very difficult instrument to play.My fingers were touching the other strings inadvertantly

Rory Gallagher. Did have a pic of my good self stood next to his statue in Ballyshannon, my old man lives in the next town lol.

Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
The guitar solo bit on Sultans of Swing is always cut short when played on the radio :imp:
The same thing when they play Hotel California, :unamused: the dueling guitar bit between Felder and Walsh are always cut short which annoys the hell out of me. :smiley:

(Speaking of Joe Walsh…another great guitarist.)
Dave Gilmour Pink Floyd, …the solo on Another Brick in the wall.

There is a list of sooo many.

Sploom:
I tried to learn to play the guitar twice now,but I found it almost impossible to learn,very very difficult instrument to play.My fingers were touching the other strings inadvertantly

That’s just practise sploom - if you change chords a few hundred times you find your fingers never touch the other strings. It is a lot easier starting an instrument when you’re a kid - I started when I playing guitar when I was 12 and picked it up in a couple of years - but I recently started trying to learn the piano - it’s a whole other ball game trying to learn when you’re getting on a bit. (not impossible tho)

Yes,sure,its doable.Seeing other people play.But Ive been playing the piano since I was 13.But I made a lot of progress in my forties.I was reading about how bodybuilders achieve success.They have a certain routine that works,but only to a point.If they keep doing the same thing ,they stop making progress and then I realised the same thing applies to keyboard practice.You use a certain method but it only works to a point.If you are learning ragtime,you can practice very slowly at first,but the problem with that is it doesnt sound like a melody.Your brain just processes it like a random bunch of notes.I found just practicing one seperate beat and then the next,then add them together works better,but again,it only works for so long before you hit a dead end and you have to try a different approach.Most learners at the keyboard will try the one hand first ,then the other and then try and play together,and to be honest,music teachers will recomend this but Ive never used this method

Check out this guy.
Not all great guitarists look like ■■■■■ from Guns and Roses. :slight_smile:
youtu.be/0RoiTwB5W_k

Nobody’s mentioned Pink.Flloyd’s David Gilmour.
The solo riff in Another Brick in the Wall is a favourite of mine.
Not only has he been in Flloyd,.he’s collaborated with the likes of Pete Towshend (there’s another :smiley: ) and Paul.McCartney…they played together in The Cavern in fact.

youtu.be/gGycDDqBuX8

how about this fella, just lie back and drift away… :sunglasses:

Think I’m in love :smiley: …Fit as a butcher’s dog ,.great taste in music, a bit of JBJ. :sunglasses:
What’s not to like. :smiley:
youtube.com/shorts/RzRcvPrxFvs?feature=share

youtu.be/59FiQDhmZps

Alvin Lee At Woodstock:

I did see TYA a wee bit later than that, in the 70’s.
Before the decibel laws came in I think.

But little known guitarists?
Start with Debbie Davies.
She also used to play with Albert Collins, who is another under appreciated player IMHO.
Rory Block is excellent on her own but here is with…

And please don’t forget Tiny Tim-Tiptoe Thru’ The Tulips is a genuine classic-once seen never to be forgotten. Can any of you computer genius’s post a link up?

Kirstin Hersch was on the bill of a concert I was at in Barcelona, didn’t know of her or her material but when she played her set alone it was impressive how captivating she was to the whole crowd, one mic, one guitar.

Here she is doing a few songs for a radio show