Leon or Ford Focus?

Not giving myself many choices here but have boiled it down to perhaps one of these two cars I’m considering buying in the next few months. About a 10 reg would do. Not sure of the entry levels, but would like a good spec. Anyone have either of these and happy/unhappy with them? Not constantly breaking down and niggles would be a top priority, followed by good NCAP (?) rating and smooth drive over the potholes, :smiley: Nothing under 1.6 engine too.

Focus titanium

i would personally go for the leon better build quality better resale value

Leon for me dad’s had 2 focus’s 57 plate 1.8 petrol ecu went Ford said they know about the problem so paid half the bill still cost dad £300.
Then bought a 59 plate 1.8 petrol which dumped the power steering fluid all over the new block paved drive the garage said the shaft seal is a weak point cost him £420 all in.
As the garage owner said “wouldn’t have a lift home in a ford” lol.

Always a worry swopping cars would love a newer car but my Toyota is only an R reg but has only cost me a battery in 3 years and it’s only done 74,000.

Jeff.

No rush yet, but never driven either of these cars. Was wondering if they might be a bit cheaper from the dealers after Christmas, or perhaps wait until March when the new reg’s come out.
Would have gone for a Honda but the only ones I like are the Accords - too big, too gas guzzly and no doubt the insurance and tax would be quite high.

I own a Leon 2.0tdi and love it. I do regular journeys all over the UK and UK to Germany drives and never skips a beat. Interior is comfortable and neat and the exterior styling is unique. Plus, less of them on the road than a focus :grimacing:

Goldilox:
Would have gone for a Honda but the only ones I like are the Accords - too big, too gas guzzly and no doubt the insurance and tax would be quite high.

Have a 2011 Accord CTDi 2.2D sport and previously a 2007 model.
Can easily get 50mpg if driven sensibly and has the “poke” if needed.
Have just renewed insurance in wifes name for £203 fully comp with Direct Line.
There was 74k on the 07 when I traded and currently 57k on the 11 and haven’t yet even changed so much as a lightbulb!!![emoji6]

Petrol Leon or Diesel??
Don’t forget the Diesel uses VW’s 2 litre lump and its not bomb proof like a Jap motor by any stretch!
There’s not a lot I don’t know about VW diesels, had them for the past 9 years! The older ones like the 1.9 PD lump is a better engine than the 2 litre diesel for reliability.
TBH, if I were getting something on a 10 plate now, it would be Jap every time.
Nothing beats Japanese reliability nowadays.
As for Ford diesels, have a look around ebay and note how many there are for sale with dead fuel pumps and electrical problems.

Thanks for comments/input. Will take them on board come nearer the time.
The Accord you have sounds nice, Bigtruck. Something else which is important - I want to get it in the garage now winter is here. The car I have at present is a tad too w i d e ! :unamused: It will fit in, but I do have to breathe in a little :neutral_face: :slight_smile:

Goldilox:
Thanks for comments/input. Will take them on board come nearer the time.
The Accord you have sounds nice, Bigtruck. Something else which is important - I want to get it in the garage now winter is here. The car I have at present is a tad too w i d e ! :unamused: It will fit in, but I do have to breathe in a little :neutral_face: :slight_smile:

Go and take a test drive in a clean 2.2D CTDi Accord,
the build quality is up there with Merc/Audi/BMW and you’ll not look at a Leon/Focus after the demo. :wink:
BTW, its £140 to tax for the year too. :sunglasses:

Don’t know if she’ll fit in the garage though :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face: :laughing:

Been looking at cars this weekend and as still early days, I think I prefer the Focus, but then I noticed the Fiesta and thought that’s OK and should nicely fit in garage. Don’t usually go for ‘superminis’ but its not bad looking, not TOO small and not too pricey. Only went to look at Titanium I think they were. I would need a good spec and a heater that is good too.

We’ve got a 12 plate fiesta at work for a shuttle car. It’s done 75,000 miles and still gives 56 mpg even tho it’s being driven my lead footed morons.

I’m half tempted to get a diesel fiesta myself. Should pay for itself in fuel savings if I keep it long enough.

Get yersen on one of those VW 's with the 2 ltre TDI engine as they have dropped in value quite a bit recently, preferably my bloody thing !! (please) :frowning:

My daughter had 2 Zetec-s fiesta tdci ,s , o5 plate ( 40k ) and a 60 plate (30 k ) , had running problems with both , put it down to her doing short journeys , changed to fiesta St ,13 plate , never missed a beat ,runs like the day she got it .

56mpg is quite impressive. Mine at the moment does around 38mpg although I think its a heavy car for what it is ( if that makes any sense) The heater is good but when I had the MG ZX, well that was very poor indeed.

I tried out a Golf too - well sat in one, but the sill part as you get out again is quite high and could see myself forever tripping on it, so I put that idea to bed.

I don’t think the build quality and relaibility is there with Ford (never has been really). You often find with Fords that they suddenly turn into wrecks quite rapidly, with faded paint and rust. I always fancied a Puma after the Steve McQueen ad; by the time I could afford one they’d all been scrapped.

Not sure on the Seat, never owned one. I once read a quote from Sir Clarkson about the dashboard on a very early Ibiza “Dashboard designed by a teenager on E” :laughing:

You can’t go wrong with a Jap car. Not exactly the prettiest, by rock solid build and design. I mean look at this technical vid from Honda

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nYBLTY7q2wg

Can’t see Ford being this thorough can you?

Watch them short journeys with a diesel though :wink:

Bazza, I can’t believe you put up that YouTube video up for me to watch :neutral_face: :laughing:

As I am still procrastinating about this and I am in no rush yet, I DO know the virtues of Honda cars. Here is a little list of the Hondas I have owned. I don’t keep cars for years and years, btw, and they have been a bit older when bought.

Honda accord ( when very young) V Good but written off by white van man, grrrrrr
Honda accord straight after, as above but rubbish colour and wanted something newer
Honda Integra (quite oldish when bought) Very nice and went to South of France in it. Got too old.
Honda Civic (big one) Good and kept that for a few years, but started to age and the timing belt was due I think.
Honda Accord 2litre Automatic. Super car and super drive. Gas guzzler and petrol prices were increasing.

Then I was persuaded to buy a British car :smiling_imp:

Goldilox:
Bazza, I can’t believe you put up that YouTube video up for me to watch :neutral_face: :laughing:

As I am still procrastinating about this and I am in no rush yet, I DO know the virtues of Honda cars. Here is a little list of the Hondas I have owned. I don’t keep cars for years and years, btw, and they have been a bit older when bought.

Honda accord ( when very young) V Good but written off by white van man, grrrrrr
Honda accord straight after, as above but rubbish colour and wanted something newer
Honda Integra (quite oldish when bought) Very nice and went to South of France in it. Got too old.
Honda Civic (big one) Good and kept that for a few years, but started to age and the timing belt was due I think.
Honda Accord 2litre Automatic. Super car and super drive. Gas guzzler and petrol prices were increasing.

Then I was persuaded to buy a British car :smiling_imp:

Ok I’m sad and love a good bit of engineering, and Honda certainly have that as you know. Just trying to sell you their virtues, prove a point about jap design really.

Christ I’m turning into Carryfast :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused: :laughing:

In a lotto win I’d really like a V8 Range Rover. Now they aren’t realiable :laughing:

Well I traded in the Accord yesterday, 58k 5yrs old, didn’t miss a beat and not even a bulb changed!!!

Got me a nice 2015 Lexus IS300h F Sport.
225din bhp
55mpg (petrol/hybrid)
£10yr road tax!!! :sunglasses: