Length of Day...

Hi guys, I’ve got myself confused ! (Say nothing). I’ve reduced three times this week ,what’s my Max working time today thirteen or fifteen ?
Down London and want to try to get back to Manchester, impossible probably …

13, unless you split.

Let’s say you started at 8am on Monday, and you work 15 hours, taking you up to 11pm. You then have 9 hours daily rest which takes you up to 8am Tuesday. That’s your 24 hour period. You’ve had the legal minimum daily rest. Let’s say you follow this pattern Tuesday and Wednesday too - so that’s your 3 reduced daily rests for that week.

This takes us up to Thursday morning at 8am. You’re still legal. Your next 24 hour period commences at this time, and finishes at 8am on Friday. Now you’re legally obliged to have 11 hours daily rest in this period, and therefore you can only work 13 hours (8am-9pm) so that you can fit those 11 hours rest into the 24 hour period between 8am Thursday and 8am Friday.

From 8am on Friday you are also obliged to have 11 hours daily rest in the next 24 hour period - the one between Friday 8am and Saturday 8am, and so therefore can only work 13 hours until 9pm.

This is how I understand it. You have to consider the 24 hour period and ask how much daily rest has been taken inside each one for each day you’ve worked.

Tangray:
Hi guys, I’ve got myself confused ! (Say nothing). I’ve reduced three times this week ,what’s my Max working time today thirteen or fifteen ?
Down London and want to try to get back to Manchester, impossible probably …

I assume the three reduced daily rest periods you’ve had have been since your last weekly rest period.

If that’s the case then you’re now restricted to regular daily rest periods (11 hours) until your next weekly rest period, however if you can have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift you can still do a 15 hour spread-over from the start of the shift to the end of the shift (split daily rest period).

If you cannot have a split daily rest period, I’m afraid you’re restricted to an 11 hour regular daily rest period.

Many thanks for the reply s chaps .night out then…

ask limeyphil for one of his special magnets!

It’s never a good idea to “use up” all your 15 hour shifts (or reduced rests - whichever way you want to see it) at the start of a week…

Always keep one spare - in case you fall foul of the occasional “friday night stitch-up” like I did last weekend, when four roads were closed on my final route home on friday night…

If you found yourself doing over 13 hours friday night, having reduced your rest three times already that week - it’s gonna look real bad on your card eh? :bulb:

Or better still never do a 15 hour day at all!

Winseer:
It’s never a good idea to “use up” all your 15 hour shifts (or reduced rests - whichever way you want to see it) at the start of a week…

Always best to think of it as reduced rest and not 15 hour shifts because if you did a 10 hour shift, an 11 hour shift and a 9 hour shift with a 9’hour rest after each you haven’t done a 15 but you have no ‘15’s’ left.

Coffeeholic:
if you did a 10 hour shift, an 11 hour shift and a 9 hour shift with a 9’hour rest after each you haven’t done a 15 but you have no ‘15’s’ left.

so on that scenario could you not do a 15 on your last shift before your weekly rest starts?

chaversdad:

Coffeeholic:
if you did a 10 hour shift, an 11 hour shift and a 9 hour shift with a 9’hour rest after each you haven’t done a 15 but you have no ‘15’s’ left.

so on that scenario could you not do a 15 on your last shift before your weekly rest starts?

No.Because you have reduced all your breaks to 9hrs.

Ok sorry but got question then. Start 8am done 13 hours work till 2100 , and then taken 9 hrs rest. Then stared at 6am, worked till 1900, done again 9 hr rest. Started at 4am till 1700 doing again 9 rest. What is left for Thursday and Friday. Any clue. I think only 2 times 13/11 left

jan_m:
Ok sorry but got question then. Start 8am done 13 hours work till 2100 , and then taken 9 hrs rest. Then stared at 6am, worked till 1900, done again 9 hr rest. Started at 4am till 1700 doing again 9 rest. What is left for Thursday and Friday. Any clue. I think only 2 times 13/11 left

You’ve had 3 reduced daily rest periods so you have to have regular 11 hour daily rest periods until after the next weekly rest period.

In other words you’re right, Thursday and Friday you would need 11 hours daily rest period which leaves 13 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift.
That is unless you have 3 consecutive hours rest during the shift, then you could have split daily rest periods and do 15 hours from the start of the shift to the end of the shift.

In fact what you’ve posted there is a good example of why Coffeeholic said it’s best to think of the rest period that you’re having in the 24 hour period, in your example you’ve only done 13 hour shifts From Monday to Wednesday but because you’ve only had 9 hour rest periods they are reduced daily rest periods.
If you only consider 13 or 15 hours shifts it would be easy to think that because you’ve done three 13 hour shifts you still have three 15 hour shifts left, but if you think of the rest period that’s been taken it’s clear that you don’t have any reduced daily rest periods left for the working week.

Nozza:

chaversdad:

Coffeeholic:

No.Because you have reduced all your breaks to 9hrs.

REST’S - not breaks

Stick a new card in and away ya go :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Do not have to stick new card in, it’s weekend :slight_smile:

chaversdad:

Coffeeholic:

No, even on your last shift before your weekly rest you need a daily rest period, which is extended into your weekly rest period and that daily rest has to be completed within the 24-hour period just like any other working day.

remember this
13 plus anything is a reduced rest
11 minus anything is a reduced rest
you can do a permutation of up to 3
and be legal anything over is up to you

hitch:
remember this
13 plus anything is a reduced rest
11 minus anything is a reduced rest
you can do a permutation of up to 3
and be legal anything over is up to you

Thats quite good but I would have made it a little clearer …

13 shift plus anything is a reduced rest
11 off minus anything is a reduced rest
you can do a permutation of up to 3 between 2 weekly rests
and be legal