Leggett Logistics (freightways)

X194 EKO was ex bothwell it made its was down to join X195 194 was used by a multitude of drivers but at night it was used by the flying scotsman good old lad he was it is seen her just after being opened up ready for tipping ex reddish they were the days when contracts were plenty and trailers were full Also i thought i would add one of the welsh contingent

I miss working for Leggetts. Best bunch of lads I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
It’s been over 6 years since I was made redundant.

herbington:
X194 EKO was ex bothwell it made its was down to join X195 194 was used by a multitude of drivers but at night it was used by the flying scotsman good old lad he was it is seen her just after being opened up ready for tipping ex reddish they were the days when contracts were plenty and trailers were full Also i thought i would add one of the welsh contingent

Who was the Flying Scotsman hebrington? Reason I ask is that when Leggett shut their Bothwell depot, we had a driver transfer over to our place to continue the Reddish trunk. He was a right character, one of those guys who you couldn’t say a bad word about. Les Dewar was his name, and sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

his name was frank G a real nice bloke grate sense of humour he along with others took early redundancy before it went to the wall

Nice photo of the depot, although I took lots at peterlee, I didn’t for some reason take any at the finish. However, if you ‘Google Earth’ SR8 2JQ, the depot is fairly unchanged. It now belongs to a company called Steadfast security who, by chance, still operate P483JKE, transporting Caterpillar truck parts localy. If you go to street level on Google Earth, it is visible in the gateway. We had P490 from new, but never had 483 at Peterlee.

we had P480/481 and 482 they replaced the old N reg mercs they in turn were replaced by the S reg ERF’s 480/81 and 82 went up to reddish we did have two N reg ERF N115/6 DKR they were used as outbase vehicles for bridgewater before they had a depot at first they shared ground with Gerber foods then went on to Huntsworth near to Argos (less said about that the better!!)

If your ‘S’ reg’s included S440BKN, it survives with a showman (can be found as S440BKN on Flickr)

we had S430 enf had 431 we ended up with S436 437 and 438 S438 stayed till the very end we also had several hire rigids including P49 a 7.5 tonne we also had brand new at the time a couple of W reg two went to bridgewater to replace the N reg and we kept one
did you ever receive any consignments of doeflex from us? had to be the heaviest pallets that i have ever had the displeasure of loading they were plastic granules

Was in Clipper logistics brimsdown with this yesterday.

Ah Enfield had a few dealings with them some were helpful some a pain must admit some of the loads we got for them were interesting to say the least such as these
how we were ment to off load them is anybodys guess

Spotted P483JKE for sale on Ebay tonight (type in ERF and view vehicles for sale). Think it is in Hartlepool now, but was with Steadfast Systems who took over Peterlee depot at it’s closure, and was still there at the end of 2012. The Google Earth street view even shows this vehicle parked up (SR8 2JQ postcode). Ironically, Leggett Peterlee never operated P483, we had P490 from new, which in turn replaced N112DKR.

Just found GK02VLD (ERF ECX) at Walker Movements website with excess of 1 million k’s on the clock. It is in someone elses livery but still looks good.

We had GK02 VLA at Swindon while I was there (2004-2006)
We had (from memory)
Rigids:
7.5t:
S305KLU
S309KLU
18t:
S435BKN
S436BKN
S437BKN
Tractors:
S430BKN
X195EKO
X194EKO
I think we had an L reg that was a sister to the shunter. But I cannot remember the reg.

All together, I think the L’s were L21-3WLR and L220VLT, VLT being a Bush Alba motor (as were Mercs M428 & 429 SGS) when there was a base at Colney Street, St. Albans. Trying to think of the guys at St Albans a while ago, and could remember Harvey Chown (ops), Mick Arlington (ops), Simon 'Meatloaf’Jarram (driver). There were two other drivers who I can’t rememeber. Occasionally they would work up to Peterlee.

gazzah:
Apologies for butting in. But Did Leggett take over Blue Dart in the 70’s.

I remember has a kid seeing there motors down Lee Valley Road Enfield.
Reading the other Leggetts topic on here brought back alot of memories of there motors around the area,
I’m pretty sure my dad worked for them at one point but not sure although i know he worked for Blue Dart and thats what makes me think they took them over.
Roger Fowler the car dealers where my dad brought alot of cars.

Apparrantly Blue Dart are still going, just livereid up as Vita Foam !

Just found this image in another thread posted by Stanfield:

Hello
if you skip back a page you will see a pic of the L reg that i posted before it was painted in blue the reg was L24 WLR we also had L25 WLR that was used as the shunt motor
we also had til bridgewater became operative Y522 TKR this was replaced with GK02 VLB

Thanks Herb. The memory’s starting to go a bit!!

Many moons ago we had SMP 903 905Y OVU 525W GHR 750/51W B880/81/83YNK these were hived off to bridgend when they opened.and for a short time B144/5AUR B146 was based at reading on the gillette contractbut eventually became the shunter we also had B483/84TNA and B21BVX these were on enfields books as they were used for european we also had at various times C494/95/96 and 98DGS C496 was writen off on the M5 one night when bridgend closed we had X981MKM and there EU55

Great stuff Herb, If I remember rightly, Peterlee had ULR307X, SMP903/4Y and A592/3VMD when I started in 1990 (all Seddon Atkinsons). When we ‘thinned down’ in 1991, all units went except for 903, most of our general haulage was done by other depots or subcontraction. 903 went shortly after; we had been promised a ‘newer’ unit for a long time. True to word, it was eventually replaced with 908Y! (although this one looked better as it had been tidied up and painted in the ‘stripey’ scheme). Around 1992, our first ‘regular’ trunk consisted of topping up a Bothwell vehicle twice a week with GUS LDD for Droitwich. Later, we gained two Leyland rigids (A50WWJ and A269LHC) when a Manchester groupage operator was bought by Leggetts. I think this was operated as a separate concern for a while, simply called ‘Freightways’. Roger Whitehouse from Birmingham often used to appear with a 7 tonner too! As the network really started up, we had various rented units from Northgate until M440ARK appeared. X193EKO,X979MKM, Y524TKR and GK02VLJ were next, and stayed until Peterlee closed. (with E702HRT the shunter, another story!!)