Leggett Logistics (freightways)

morning all
andrew long time no speak how is 702? had it in swindon on loan for a few weeks s ours we old and naff remember kammac they used to run into swindon every night on the stockport trunk before reddish started doing it always had brand new motors bought in wiltshire for the AM registration

S305KLU was indeed exPeterlee, I have driven that on many an occasion. It replaced H711PHK, a Merc 814 which was a lovely little motor. S305 arrived with the bash as an optional extra added by Enfield, so I can’t account for the office theory. We did however have X979MKM pass through the office wall once, while it’s driver was doing his paperwork with his foot on the footbrake!

Apologies for butting in. But Did Leggett take over Blue Dart in the 70’s.

I remember has a kid seeing there motors down Lee Valley Road Enfield.
Reading the other Leggetts topic on here brought back alot of memories of there motors around the area,
I’m pretty sure my dad worked for them at one point but not sure although i know he worked for Blue Dart and thats what makes me think they took them over.
Roger Fowler the car dealers where my dad brought alot of cars.

not quite a truck smash but still some damage neverless
a subby went to take a load for us down to plymouth and met a bridge it was fortunate that the trailer was M/T network rail were none too pleased though

Used to pull Leggett trailers when they closed Bothwell as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Found a pic of my truck with a Leggett trailer while delivering to a Dunelm shop.

this was the pride of the swindon fleet!!! it ended up becoming the shunt motor which in turn was replaced by L24

but in the end swindon like other depots went down in flames

OVLOV JAY
Yes Leggett’s are now Pointbid, I understand that Pointbid was set up to help facilitate the take over of the British Waterways Depots. Still run by the Linney sons and Roy Cook I believe, the change over to Pointbid happened about 2010. I knew them as Leggett Freightways back when.

gazzah.
I think the reason you may think Leggett’s took over Blue Dart was that Alan Gilzean who was transport manager for Blue Dart Enfield came to Leggett’s as European transport manager, when Blue Dart finished.

Ossie

Sometimes the yard loaders got carried away.
6 tons of roofing felt on the headboard on a 7.5 tonner.

S309KLU

Christmas time parking

I remember the old Waterways depots (Hunslet, Nottingham, Goole(?) etc) as Pointbid operations. Have a Pointbid brochure somewhere if I can work magic with scan and paste! Certainly Leeds and Nottingham, if not more, were sold off. The 6 tonne on a 7 tonner reminds me when the triple - deckers first came; one of our crew added up the SWLs for each deck and advised that these trailers were great as we could load around 40 tonnes on them! Thankfully he shouted in time! I also wondered on a link with Blue Dart, both Leggett and Blue Dart had some consecutively registered UNC-K vehicles in the seventies, and I may be wrong, but did both work for Vitafoam in a big way?

british vita used to come down to swindon via reddish the depot in nottingham was also used as filming location for the series “boon” if you google boon opening titles you will find them on there he is stood between C496 DGS and C498 DGS both of which came to swindon
C496 was written off when it ploughed into the back of a Maintenance truck on the M5 (which rather annoyed the highways agency and glos police )

Fancy that. I used to watch Boon as a young un.
My favourite picture I took of 305:

Taken in a ford near a company called ‘The Enchanted Barn’ near Wokingham.
The water level was low that day, so I parked up and walked out to take the shot. But on some occasions, that water could be up to 3 feet deep.

This is S309 after it had the new curtains fitted, before 305 went back to Enfield. I had insisted that the wagon be smartened up before I took it on after it’s driver left. Surprisingly, it was agreed.

As well as the new curtains, 309 had a new drivers seat fitted, back doors repainted, cab steam cleaned, and the throttle adjusted to improve acceleration. I also asked for the wide angle mirror to be moved from drivers side to passenger side.
The fitter told me that the previous driver kept asking about these things to be done, but didn’t do it in a nice way. I don’t think he was liked much.

305 was the better motor out of the 2 at first. It was cleaner, smarter, had a working radio, and had a small quirk in the limiter to allow a 5mph burst for about 20 seconds. I don’t know if this was intentional for overtaking, but it was handy.

Swindon depot in its hayday was really busy then things started to go down hill not sure exactly when the rot set in but from 2004 it got a lot quieter The opening of a depot in southampton did not help but that in turn did not last long so we again started to deliver down in to the coast still never mind.
One of the things that did make me laugh was back in feb 2007 L24 had it passenger door pushed in the fitter put in a new one and sent it away for respray the end result was rather comical dont think some people were too pleased though!!!

One of the places I used to collect from on the Oxford run, (I think it was Allen Power) used to keep our paperwork in a tray labelled ‘legit’.

used to hate them lawn mowers/ ride on mowers never packed or crated in the correct way still they could fill a trailer up with ease they went bust if i recall sold the mower side to hayter

herbington:
used to hate them lawn mowers/ ride on mowers never packed or crated in the correct way still they could fill a trailer up with ease they went bust if i recall sold the mower side to hayter

That is a rather lwb on that Reads wrecker.

richard read always did send his EC14 when he recovered any of the trucks not sure why as it was not as though the were over loaded !!! although S430 and P993 were sent away to have there engines uprated something to do with the HC contract methinks

whoops.JPG

I see X194EKO in the Truck Trader & at www.evanscommercials.com (Leicester). still lettered and tidy.

Leggetts were considered competitors by my old mob in Brimsdown! DTS! Used to see an Artic tipping at Richmond town centre (the Posh one in Surrey) think it was Argos on the oneway system! DTS was swallowed up by Clipper in 2005! I left Clipper in 2007! I loved that job at DTS :cry:

I think Alan was the regular driver of this while I was there. Either 194 or 195.