Leggett Logistics (freightways)

Hello All.
Sorry I’ve been away for a year or two. Recently moved to Cornwall and other stuff.

Anyway, looking for a new car I ended up with the DVLA mot history site up. Looked up the 2 motors I used to drive.
S305KLU says the MOT expired on 31st jan 1999. (strange as I drove it in 2004-2006)
S309KLU is currently MOT’ed.

Pretty sure S305 went back oop north, But what happened to S309 after I left?

Hello,

I’m sure S305 was Peterlee’s up to 2004ish, we fitted the new ‘Logistics’ curtains and the ‘non-standard’ lettering on the front one weekend shortly before it went (and Peterlee too!) I always preferred the Merc 814 we had before it (H711PHK) despite needing both feet to push the clutch in! I’m sure I have some photos somewhere. Thimk S305 came from Enfield originally but I may be wrong. We received a MAN 17 tonner (W759ULA) around the same time and I might be thinking of it.

Hello
S305 was sent to enfield for what ever S309 went to Reddish I loaded it one Wednesday morning ready for collection that same day if you look on page four you will see a time stamped picture of the “pram” taken whilst on one of its deliveries IIRC JL bought seven of those 17 tonne man Bridgewater had two of them we had two of them to replace the old S reg ERF that we had

Our 17 tonner (W759ULA) replaced an ERF too (shame!) P490JKE. W759 later got replaced by another 17 tonne MAN, Y586NLH. I seem to remember complaints that the MANs would not get into places the ERF would due to long wheelbase and less lock.

Bit of a long shot, and the memory may have gone strange over time, but I seem to remember Roger Whitehouse from Birmingham appearing occasionally with a Leyland Roadrunner rigid F345MUT (possibly even with a top-sleeper pod) and mk1 Ford Cargo, and does anyone remember (or even have pics) of the ex Marks & Spencer Dodges from the early days of groupage. D-PJNs I think, still in M&S green. They seemed to work from Bredbury / Reddish and weren’t around long. At that time we (Peterlee) had 2 Leyland Freighters (A269LHC & A50WWJ) which ‘swapped’ at Bredbury on alternate days. A269 was ex Watts Bros, and you could see their scrolled lettering under the blue paint if the light was right!

page five has a pic of a T reg dodge that looks like it came off the ARK have to agree those man were useless compared to the E6 ERF we had several S reg E6 which replaced the P reg ones that we had wasn’t F345 orange in colour or at least it looked that way it came to Swindon a couple of times looked downright ugly Only redeeming feature on those man were the fact you could lower and raise the suspension Of course though the best thing to happen was when the box rigids were replaced with curtainsiiders no more pushing a few pallets up getting off the forklift then hauling them up the dam trucks and doing it all over again

I seem to remember F345 in colours similar to the old Dodge, with a white band through the blue. It may have been orange originally as I only saw it a couple of times and it may have been ‘through Bredbury’ earlier. I agree too that the curtains were better than the boxes, we got N112DKR as our first ERF 4 wheeler with a box body, and it was soon swapped with new curtainsider P490JKE. Before these was E890WUD, an ex Dawson Rentals Volvo FL6 with a ‘slide-a-side’ body (curtains running in fixed channels top and bottom), which were OK until the load moved into them, stopping their free movement. I think it later gained a box body later in life.

exleggett:
Hello all,

Sorry I haven’t posted for a while, been in therapy ever since I saw the photo of the Fuda bags! Currently working at Seaham, and have had a few old names pass through by chance; Mick from Rotherham in a Mcgregor’s motor, ‘Jazz’ the Birmingham driver (working for Birds), and spoke to Kevin from Swindon a few months back quite by chance when I rang to book a delivery in at Cullompton. “What are the chances”?..
Spotted a few old names mentioned previously; Simon from Enfield (Simon Jarram?), who I think worked out of St. Albans when Bush Alba was ‘on the go’, with another three drivers whose names escape me. I remember Mick Arlington and Harvey Chown were ‘in charge’.
Are Leggett’s still operating, used to see a few trailers about, but none lately?

hello young man, its simon jarram, i remember you, quiet lad,i am still a driver, work for mark pitcher in norfolk where i live with my beautiful new wife and 9 year old daughter, god only knows when i will get to retire lol, its nice to be remembered :smiley:

exleggett:
All together, I think the L’s were L21-3WLR and L220VLT, VLT being a Bush Alba motor (as were Mercs M428 & 429 SGS) when there was a base at Colney Street, St. Albans. Trying to think of the guys at St Albans a while ago, and could remember Harvey Chown (ops), Mick Arlington (ops), Simon 'Meatloaf’Jarram (driver). There were two other drivers who I can’t rememeber. Occasionally they would work up to Peterlee.

not sure im replying right, its simon jarram, googled my name and this popped up, bought back old memory’s

Hello Simon, Good to hear from you, and that you are still working hard! The ‘quiet’ disposition seemed to wear off after a few years in the job! You are right with the vehicles as far as I remember, the VLTs, L21WLR and the two Mercs were white. The name Terry comes to mind as a driver of one of the Mercs, but the others have gone from memory. As far as I know, the only Leggett remains is a ‘Pointbid Logistics’ warehouse operation in Birmingham now, no vehicles and no more Leggett name.

Well, Pointbid Logistics have a London depot also. It is right beside the A406 next to Costco, at the Chingford/Edmonton border. There are quite a few trailers of all types and sizes, and the Leggett name has been scrubbed out, but is still quite legible. As far as I’m aware, they don’t operate any units or rigids anymore. They use rental trucks only now. So they are still operating, but only a shadow of their former selves. By the way, if there’s anybody who remembers one of Enfield’s night security guards called Bill Horsey, he had a fall at home just before Christmas, and fractured his hip. He’s been in hospital ever since, because pneumonia set in. However, he beat that, and he’s being allowed to go home the day after tomorrow, (12th).

Greetings
this will be of use to some of you

pointbidlogistics.com/

at least the website is in better nick

Hello
here are a couple more pics that I took in the early 90s one was in march the other april sorry about the quality but I was using a cheap throw away camera This was well before the yard had been flattened or we were able to get the trailers inside to load them before eventually moving them round the back to load off load

herbington:
Hello
here are a couple more pics that I took in the early 90s one was in march the other april sorry about the quality but I was using a cheap throw away camera This was well before the yard had been flattened or we were able to get the trailers inside to load them before eventually moving them round the back to load off load

Hi Herbie. Hope your well. That’s me Allan(scottish) and Mark Love. Happy days!

Hello all,

Should you have £5000 to spare, ECX X985MKM is in this month’s Classic & Vintage Commercials magazine (classified ads) for sale ex Pointbid shunter “one owner!” Still in blue but modified to Pointbid Logistics lettering. Telephone number is one of the original 07713 621■■■ Leggett mobile numbers. Other than this one, I can only account for the current existance of E702HRT Foden, C425ANC Seddon and S434BKN EC6.

Quite a ‘long shot’ but does anyone remember a ‘Barreiros’ Dodge tractor unit at Bredbury around 1992, or is time playing tricks with the mind?!

Leggett 1985.

Click on pages twice to read.

Na, P991 was never a Bridgend truck.
P994 got tipped over coming back to Bridgend from Reddish on the M5 at Droitwich.
It was my night trunk motor, they put a day man in it to do a week of nights when I had a week off.

Sad news to hear about Digger, and T.C. Terry moved to Thailand when he retired I believe.
The start of Leggetts decline was down to that Paul Kirk. By the time they realised, the damage had been done.
And yes, I would still be there too if they were still going. Great craic!!

Someone mentioned Paul kirk have a read of this old press release
newsshopper.co.uk/news/6247 … -delivery/

Hello.

I happened upon this forum while wondering whatever became of Leggett’s Enfield…

I was an agency driver there for a few months in 1998.
It’s from reading some names i think it was Ossie that was the office or transport manager??
He used to give the daily jobs and was the point of call on the radio throughout the days.
There was an office girl there too, i think a Kerry, or Louise…or maybe a different name altogether!!!
There was Stef the mechanic, blonde John the HG1 driver and how could i foget the fella (ok i forget his name!) Who seemed to live in a camper van that was parked in the yard and he would get up get in his vehicle then come “home” to his csmper in the yard.
Bizarre!! :joy: